How long WAS the Endor trip????

For polite and reasoned discussion of Star Wars and/or Star Trek.
Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:14 pm

I think the ROTS novelization does have some references about the density of inhabited worlds.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:22 pm

Praeothmin wrote:
Mike DiCenso wrote:It occurs to me that if that's the attitude that you take towards the novelization, then you also must discard the "million star systems" quote from Tarkin as well,
Isn't it also stated in the movie?
I seem to recall Tarkin mentioning the million start system (or worlds).
If it's stated in the movie, it cannot be discarded...

Nope. Tarkin does not say anything about a million anything while trading barbs with Leia:

LEIA
Governor Tarkin, I should have
expected to find you holding Vader's
leash. I recognized your foul stench
when I was brought on board.

TARKIN
Charming to the last. You don't know
how hard I found it signing the order
to terminate your life!

LEIA
I surprised you had the courage to
take the responsibility yourself!

TARKIN
Princess Leia, before your execution
I would like you to be my guest at a
ceremony that will make this battle
station operational. No star system
will dare oppose the Emperor now.

LEIA
The more you tighten your grip,
Tarkin, the more star systems will
slip through your fingers.

TARKIN
Not after we demonstrate the power
of this station. In a way, you have
determined the choice of the planet
that'll be destroyed first. Since
you are reluctant to provide us with
the location of the Rebel base, I
have chosen to test this station's
destructive power... on your home
planet of Alderaan.

LEIA
No! Alderaan is peaceful. We have no
weapons. You can't possibly...

TARKIN
You would prefer another target? A
military target? Then name the system!

Tarkin waves menacingly toward Leia.

TARKIN
I grow tired of asking this. So it'll
be the last time. Where is the Rebel
base?

-Mike

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:21 pm

Wayne Poe wrote:
Mike DiCenso wrote:No, that wouldn't be possible since that could stated several days later after they've departed from Tatooine. As far as any novelization quotes, Han before they get to where Alderaan was never says anything about getting any money that same day. Only while bargining in the cantina does Han initially try to get the money up front, but he does not say anything about getting to Alderaan that same day.
In "The Krytos Trap", an eight hour flight time between Alderaan and Tatooine is established.

That's interesting, Wayne. But it does not mesh as well against an optimistic look at both the movie and the novel's depictions of the journey. During the closing negotiations between Han and Obi-Wan in the ANH novelization (page 102), Han tells them to meet them at Docking bay 94 "first thing in the morning". This indicates that at least another 12 hours went by into the next day before they even left, never mind anything else.

But most important is that they start their journey in the morning Tatooine time.

Han later on the Falcon in both the movie and the book tells everyone that they will reach Alderaan at 0200 hours. If The Falcon took off at 11:59 am Tatooine time, and arrived at 2:00 am in the morning (also Tatooine time), the trip would at least be 14 hours long, not 8.
-Mike

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:22 am

Mike DiCenso wrote:
Wayne Poe wrote:
Mike DiCenso wrote:No, that wouldn't be possible since that could stated several days later after they've departed from Tatooine. As far as any novelization quotes, Han before they get to where Alderaan was never says anything about getting any money that same day. Only while bargining in the cantina does Han initially try to get the money up front, but he does not say anything about getting to Alderaan that same day.
In "The Krytos Trap", an eight hour flight time between Alderaan and Tatooine is established.

That's interesting, Wayne. But it does not mesh as well against an optimistic look at both the movie and the novel's depictions of the journey. During the closing negotiations between Han and Obi-Wan in the ANH novelization (page 102), Han tells them to meet them at Docking bay 94 "first thing in the morning". This indicates that at least another 12 hours went by into the next day before they even left, never mind anything else.

But most important is that they start their journey in the morning Tatooine time.

Han later on the Falcon in both the movie and the book tells everyone that they will reach Alderaan at 0200 hours. If The Falcon took off at 11:59 am Tatooine time, and arrived at 2:00 am in the morning (also Tatooine time), the trip would at least be 14 hours long, not 8.
-Mike
For some reason, I got the impression that the events took place the same day, from Obi and Luke arriving at Mos Eisley, negociating with Han, selling the landspeeder, and then getting onboard the MF.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:42 am

That's the problem with things relating to SW's chronology. In TESB, for exmple, how much time do you think passed from when Han, Leia and company escaped Hoth in the Falcon to when they hitched a ride on the Avenger to Anoat, to when they reached Bespin? Seems like the same day, or at most a couple days went by. How long was Luke on Dagobah training? One day... two days.... months?
-Mike

GStone
Starship Captain

Post by GStone » Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:54 pm

Trying to lift an x-wing out of the swamp is not much of a bench mark. If Luke is anything like Leia or Anakin, then he probably would have developed some nonForce tk power early in life and didn't notice it that much. He said 'I could almost see the remote'. So, Luke had some clairvoyance that just needed some work. But, the running forward flip? That takes more than a few days to do.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:10 pm

That would depend largely on how much instruction in the ways of the Force that Obi-Wan gave to Luke during the trip to Alderaan on the Falcon beforehand. If the trip took days, not mere hours, then there is plenty of time for Luke to have learned enough.
-Mike

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:59 pm

Seeing how little Luke made use of the Force in ANH, I don't think the trip was that long, or if it was, then the Force doesn't seem to be something one masters quickly...

I don't Luke was on Dagobah for less then a few weeks...

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:05 pm

What ment was in context of reply to Gstone's comment about Luke's growing clairvoyance with the Force to see the remote during his training under Obi-Wan on the Falcon. Apparently what Obi-Wan taught Luke then was enough for Luke to use the Force to telekinesis his lightsaber during his ordeal in the wampa's ice cave some 2 years later.
-Mike

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:09 am

And what I meant is that I agree with you that sometimes chronology and elapsed time in any SW movies are not precisely defined, and I used Luke's example to indicate that, even one as gifted as Luke (shooting womp rats in Beggars' Canyon to the surprise of everyone) will need some time to master the Force correctly, one of the reasons why the Jedi recrut young pupils.
By the time they are adults, they will have mastered a lot and be ready for (almost) anything...

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:13 am

Luke didn't have even a one day beard when they left Tatooine, and I don't see where he packed any kind of shaver in his landspeeder. It's not like it would be something he'd add to his baggages after departing from the destroyed Lars farm. :)

We have to measure the lenght of facial hairs to gauge hyperdrive speed.

Last edited by Mr. Oragahn on Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:26 am

Luke and Han probably use some sort of anti-facial hair growth tonic, which is why we see them without even 5 o'clock shadow after having spent not only time on the Falcon getting to where Alderaan was, but a number of hours on the Death Star, and later at the Rebel base on Yavin. :-)
-Mike

Narsil
Jedi Knight

Post by Narsil » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:35 am

Secret Jedi power; Force Shave.

Trinoya
Security Officer

Post by Trinoya » Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:50 pm

Most original power... ever.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:38 pm

Luke may not have had any shavers, but he did have his father's lightsabre...
The closest shave one could possibly have, and be assured no hair will ever grow again... :)