How new was Galaxy class starship Enteprise put into service

For polite and reasoned discussion of Star Wars and/or Star Trek.
Jasonbelkin
Padawan

How new was Galaxy class starship Enteprise put into service

Post by Jasonbelkin » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:40 pm

Few questions first why did Admiral in TNG The Pegasus use the term some of it design was used constructing the Enterprise if like see evidence go to Netflix see Star Trek Pegasus watch from 40 minutes according to clock to 39.01. Why did he not just use the term Galaxy class.

Possible reasons.
The first possible reason is first Galaxy class starship was a pro-type put into service over 12 year early to episode or more. Only evidence to back this theory comes from fact USS Enterprise D normal timeline was better able make sharper turns then in the Yesterday Enterprise timeline and same could said Klingon.

I would be interest any other ideas you guys might have.

Starship Captain

Re: How new was Galaxy class starship Enteprise put into ser

Post by 2046 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:46 am

You had me intrigued for a few seconds, but . . .

"More conclusively, the final design of the Galaxy Class dilithium crystal chamber is dated Stardate 40052 (at Outpost Seran-T-One, per "Booby Trap"[TNG3]). Given the rough progression of stardates, this prevents us from concluding that the Galaxy was built prior to 2363. Finally, the prototype design room at Utopia Planitia's Mars Station seen in "Booby Trap", dated Stardate 40174, shows a Galaxy Class ship under construction outside the window. As the prototype for the class, this can only be the Galaxy herself."

That's from that jackass who writes ST-v-SW.Net…

http://www.st-v-sw.net/STSWvolumetrics2.html#GCS

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:50 am

Actually, thinking about it some more, it isn't impossible that the Galaxy could've had a different warp core in testing. Aircraft have been known to have a substitute engine as placeholder. But, the registries still suggest a brief time between Galaxy and the next known GCS registry.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:13 am

I think it's a pretty tough sell to try and come up with anything beyond 12 years prior to TNG's season 7 as being the the time frame for the start of the USS Galaxy's, never mind start of the construction of the Enterprise, especially when an earlier class of ship was being used as a major testbed for technologies to be used in the Galaxy-class starships was out and about.

The only reason this It Took Twenty Years to Build the Enterprise-D nonsense got start started is because of the non-canon TNG TM's convoluted timeline and Warsies running with it and promoting it as if it was canon rather than actually, you know, look at the damn filmed canon!
-Mike

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:01 am

Oh yeah, I remember that argument. I don't recall ever engaging against it, though I suppose my Chrono-Volumetrics work kinda whacks it in a bit of collateral damage, even if Shelby's "fleet back up in a year" didn't settle shipbuilding out of the gate.

In all seriousness, though, given the computers of the era and suitable programming with requirements, engineering capabilities, construction caveats, best practices, et cetera, starship design should take no time to at least get something for designers to tweak. Every ensign in engineering could have a fairly complete design in his, her, or its proverbial holodeck back pocket, spending downtime playing with individual elements and with assorted different schools of thought, individual expressions, et cetera.

Indeed, maybe this specific human element could serve to partially explain the variability in vessels, inasmuch as number of classes and variations in design with no obvious technological cause. After all, I'm of the mind that commonality and modularity of everything would be preferable from a construction and maintenance standpoint ("I just transferred in and I can't find the frickin' head even with the computer's little dots guiding me!"), even in a civilization that could probably logistically one-off every ship they build like a bunch of monkeys with individual 3-D printers. But, given that logistic capability, the old 1987 line about aesthetics surpassing technology might mean they allow a little expressionism, or at least just enough to make things not-too-common but also not-too-unique. One could, I suppose, argue that such a thing would keep the engineering wits sharp for those transferring ship-to-ship.

But frankly, I'd still use the holodeck for that.

Jasonbelkin
Padawan

Post by Jasonbelkin » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:18 am

2046 wrote:You had me intrigued for a few seconds, but . .

"More conclusively, the final design of the Galaxy Class dilithium crystal chamber is dated Stardate 40052 (at Outpost Seran-T-One, per "Booby Trap"[TNG3]). Given the rough progression of stardates, this prevents us from concluding that the Galaxy was built prior to 2363. Finally, the prototype design room at Utopia Planitia's Mars Station seen in "Booby Trap", dated Stardate 40174, shows a Galaxy Class ship under construction outside the window. As the prototype for the class, this can only be the Galaxy herself."

That's from that jackass who writes ST-v-SW.Net…

http://www.st-v-sw.net/STSWvolumetrics2.html#GCS
statement on screen was" development stage pro-type schematic at Utopia Planittia Drafting room five of the Mars Station Stardate 40741 . You could find that on Netflix TNG Body Trap 25 minutes and 33 seconds to 25 minutes and 26 seconds. In practice it was never stated on screen that the Galaxy class ship was under constriction it could from add ,upgrades or other major changes to the design after testing.As for designing a warp drive all likelihood they build pro-type first for a simple reason. They need practice ower requirement not the least best place put all sensors and so on. In combat ship could done lot faster since kind already know power requirements and so on.

Jasonbelkin
Padawan

Post by Jasonbelkin » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:50 am

Mike DiCenso wrote:I think it's a pretty tough sell to try and come up with anything beyond 12 years prior to TNG's season 7 as being the the time frame for the start of the USS Galaxy's, never mind start of the construction of the Enterprise, especially when an earlier class of ship was being used as a major testbed for technologies to be used in the Galaxy-class starships was out and about.

The only reason this It Took Twenty Years to Build the Enterprise-D nonsense got start started is because of the non-canon TNG TM's convoluted timeline and Warsies running with it and promoting it as if it was canon rather than actually, you know, look at the damn filmed canon!
-Mike
In theory pro -type Galaxy class starship gone though testing for 12 years by itself. NASA has been working James Webb Space Telescope for something like 7 years. Galaxy class starship was design fpr scientific mission more then for combat.

Star Trek TNG Boby Trap Geordi point out things simple work flied personal design the starship could go wrong. Limit holodeck testing likely be able to get done compare testing out in open space. Remember Star Trek voyager Timeless and the quantum slipstream drive that get crew killed. Holodeck was able show risk unable see ship unable to do safety with aid Delta flyer. Same true in other sensor systems and so on have some level testing when come power and how thing work field.