Size and Mass Data from "New Ground"[RNG5]

For polite and reasoned discussion of Star Wars and/or Star Trek.
Starship Captain

Size and Mass Data from "New Ground"[RNG5]

Post by 2046 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:14 am

If you've been missing ye olden days of squinting at barely-readable screens of text, long no more for "New Ground"(RNG5) has something you need!

http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/thumbnails.p ... 19&page=14

Looking here, we see two images of Riker's console . . . most of the details called out are relatively obvious and covered elsewhere, but there's some interesting bits in a block of text on the right, including length, width, height, mass, and more.

The problem? You can barely read it, naturally.

What do you see?

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Re: Size and Mass Data from "New Ground"[RNG5]

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:10 pm

2046 wrote:If you've been missing ye olden days of squinting at barely-readable screens of text, long no more for "New Ground"(RNG5) has something you need!

http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/thumbnails.p ... 19&page=14

Looking here, we see two images of Riker's console . . . most of the details called out are relatively obvious and covered elsewhere, but there's some interesting bits in a block of text on the right, including length, width, height, mass, and more.

The problem? You can barely read it, naturally.

What do you see?
I see some damn ugly screws, mate.

Jedi Knight

Post by 359 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:31 pm

I made an enhanced image with text markups of some of the stuff I managed to read... but the file apparently wasn't saved. So instead here's a summery:

(???) (???) = ?47 Meters
(???) Height = 472 Meters
(???) Width = 128 Meters
Gross Vehicle Mass = 1,???,??? Tons

STD Crew Complement =1,012 Persons
Maximum (?Disk?) Capacity = 15,??? Persons

Maximum Sustainable Speed = Warp ?.2
Maximum (???) Speed = Warp ?.9

It looks like the height and width are swapped, at least in how I've read it.

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:49 pm

Good catch on height and width. Screws, too.

The mass looks like it starts with a 5 or 6 to me, which is interesting given the 4 the technical manuals start with.

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:00 am

I could almost believe a "5," but it looks more like a "1" to me, though. 5 million something makes a lot more sense given the (very small amount) of canonical mass data.

I suppose if someone were really patient with the Blu-Ray, they could paste together several frames and get more information out of the image.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:04 pm

Jedi Master Spock wrote:I could almost believe a "5," but it looks more like a "1" to me, though. 5 million something makes a lot more sense given the (very small amount) of canonical mass data.

I suppose if someone were really patient with the Blu-Ray, they could paste together several frames and get more information out of the image.
I don't think it would provide any greater data. Even the episodes' masters have a low resolution; the bu-ray format would merely upscale all that.

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:55 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote:
Jedi Master Spock wrote:I could almost believe a "5," but it looks more like a "1" to me, though. 5 million something makes a lot more sense given the (very small amount) of canonical mass data.

I don't think it would provide any greater data. Even the episodes' masters have a low resolution; the bu-ray format would merely upscale all that.
Well, if you're clever enough, multiple frames are like a resolution upgrade. Takes work, though.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:50 pm

You'd have to isolate, in each frame, the regions of the screen that seem readable as the granularity keeps changing, then sort them all out and produce a composition of all that into one single picture. What a work!