Starfleet military vs. RL military

For polite and reasoned discussion of Star Wars and/or Star Trek.
GStone
Starship Captain

Post by GStone » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:58 pm

Praeothmin wrote:Last time I went to browse the HoS, I wasn't asked to log in, I was able to peruse the threads freely.
I've never been able to through SDN normally. The only time I've ever read anything from the HoS was because of troll kingdom and when I did, I found it to be such a piss poor amalgamation that I still can't grasp why it's restricted to members only. It's no better or worse than what's on the public threads in any regard.
consequences wrote:Given the ability that contributors here have displayed to respond to posts in the SDN HoS, a members only forum, that's an exceptionally weak excuse.
A couple of the members here have ghost accounts on SDN. It's never been a secret, since some have published stuff that is restricted to members only. I don't, but are you sure that all of the stuff that's been posted that is currently in the HoS was in the HoS when it was quoted/posted here? Some stuff is posted to the public forums and then, it's moved to the HoS afterwards. Previously accessed web pages are stored in the temporary internet folder, however it's stored in one's computer.

Or are you suggesting that the security measures at SDN are so bad that even a members only section can be easily hacked by anyone with an internet connection in a couple of clicks? It isn't like we get in secret huddles in PMs and emails and regularly exchange the members only info from SDN.

WolfRitter
Padawan

Post by WolfRitter » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:08 am

2046 wrote:
WolfRitter wrote:I'm sorry, but I'd prefer to take my information from somone who actually was involved in the Cold War and has seen the documents involving those aircraft. Rather than some arm-chair general such as yourself.
I'm sorry . . . did you have something to say? Linking to some SDN guy's profile and slinging a weak barb my way does not a response make.
Oh, on the contrary it does my imbecilic friend, Stuart Slade has access to numerous classified documents. He knows his shit, unlike a certain moron who assumes that every time two warships appear, both are trying to destroy each other.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:59 am

WolfRitter wrote:Stuart Slade has access to numerous classified documents.
And of course, he shared those secrets with you, or provided proof that he does indeed have such access.

Look, I'm not trying to start a flame fest here, but it's just that everytime GStone's the center of discussion at SDN, everybody says that the credentials he provided without a shred of proof were bogus.
Although (and please don't take this the wrong way GStone) I do agree his credentials seem a tad far fetched, why would this guy be any different?

I'm really curious to know...

WolfRitter
Padawan

Post by WolfRitter » Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:20 am

Praeothmin wrote:
And of course, he shared those secrets with you, or provided proof that he does indeed have such access.

Look, I'm not trying to start a flame fest here, but it's just that everytime GStone's the center of discussion at SDN, everybody says that the credentials he provided without a shred of proof were bogus.
Although (and please don't take this the wrong way GStone) I do agree his credentials seem a tad far fetched, why would this guy be any different?

Because we can google his actual name and find out things about him, like where he got his degree and what for.
Or essays he's written. (This is four different links involving Russian Missiles and Nuclear Warfare)
More of the same.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:41 am

Thanks, very interesting material... :)

GStone
Starship Captain

Post by GStone » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:06 am

Praeothmin wrote:
AAAAAAAAHH!!!

Breach of contract! Breach of contract! Security clearance null and void! Security clearance null and void!

[computer memories get purged, paper hard copies shredded and then, thrown into a crematorium oven, digital hard copies melted]

'Nothing to see here, folks Move along.'

[whispers to the side="Get the lightning throwing guns."]
Look, I'm not trying to start a flame fest here, but it's just that everytime GStone's the center of discussion at SDN
This is another reason why I don't sign up over there. I'm already there in spirit...all the time. And my spirit there is a troll. I can troll from afar without actually trolling or trying to do any trolling. If I said Palpatine actually didn't like apples, that he prefered pineapple and listed why, it'd be trolling to them. People keep bringing stuff I write online over there. Granted it's pretty much what I write on the versus sites with just a tad from SCN, but it's still brought there by others. Zalblorg or whatever his name is said I have 27 threads or something with my name. That's insane, honestly. Who would actually spend that much time on me?
everybody says that the credentials he provided without a shred of proof were bogus.
I'm not taking it the wrong way. Don't worry. I never have. And because, I assume, he believes in the Wongian (that word always sounds so weird when I say it out loud)-Saxtonian party line. That's the only reason.

My credentials might seem far fetched and I'll agree that it does seem to be pretty out there, especially with the scope of my knowledge and skill (I haven't said all the areas I'm versed in; there are still a couple I haven't mentioned). But, I have also been all over the world growing up. I've lived in Italy, Ireland. I spent some time in the Middle East, some years in China. I've been exposed to an enormous amount.

But, you can take anyone at random in the world today and find that they have a wide range of interests. When I was a cook, I used to work with this woman that was also a cook, but she went to church and sang in the choir and she was even learning electronics, too. The days where people are only good at just one thing are long over.

I haven't been one of those people that spent most of their life living in 1 small town. I'm not knocking that childhood. There is a part of me that would find that to be very enjoyable. Where you aren't packing up and going somewhere else. Grow a root or two.

I'm not gonna feign being less of what I am for the sake of some people that at present, have a 63 page thread where they bash people that don't share their views, while at the same time, say these people they don't agree with are a waste of their time except for the occassional mockery. 'Occassional' seems to mean 'pretty much daily', while also not even able to keep straight what is said by others, such as the mistake of saying that the 'inverse square law of straight beam vs conical/wide beam' is handwaving, when that was never an issue. Just a misunderstanding by one of their own members.
I'd like to know if there really is another reason other than that he feels the way they do.

Thanatos
Padawan

Post by Thanatos » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:28 am

I've lived in Italy
Where abouts?

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:42 am

WolfRitter wrote:
2046 wrote:
WolfRitter wrote:I'm sorry, but I'd prefer to take my information from somone who actually was involved in the Cold War and has seen the documents involving those aircraft. Rather than some arm-chair general such as yourself.
I'm sorry . . . did you have something to say? Linking to some SDN guy's profile and slinging a weak barb my way does not a response make.
Oh, on the contrary it does my imbecilic friend
While I realize being my friend might give a hint of meaning to your life . . . one so very dull that you get your thrills breaking the rules calling others imbecilic . . . alas, I must break your heart and inform you that you are not my friend.
Stuart Slade has access to numerous classified documents.
Well whooptee-do, but you still haven't informed me of what it is that he said which supposedly trumps my earlier statements.
He knows his shit, unlike a certain moron who assumes that every time two warships appear, both are trying to destroy each other.
Who might that be?

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:47 pm

WolfRitter wrote:
Praeothmin wrote:

Because we can google his actual name and find out things about him, like where he got his degree and what for.
Or essays he's written. (This is four different links involving Russian Missiles and Nuclear Warfare)
More of the same.
I'll drop an eye globe some time in the future. Thx for the links.
Try to use less insults, btw.

GStone
Starship Captain

Post by GStone » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:09 pm

Thanatos wrote:
I've lived in Italy
Where abouts?
I spent a lot of time in Naples.

Gniops
Padawan

Post by Gniops » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:44 pm

People keep bringing stuff I write online over there.
I can understand why it might be confusing to you, but I think I know why SD.net mentions your name, among others, quite so much.
Get your fill of sci-fi, science, and mockery of stupid people

I've bolded the relevent part, because, I'm not kidding, you've produced some of the dumbest comments, strategies, claims and general bovine waste produce that I've ever seen in any context on the internet.

This isn't a flame, this is just the answer to the question you asked mate.

You are a fucking goldmine for them!

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:35 pm

Gniops, saying that you mean it as an answer doesn't change the fact that it's a rude answer. Particularly when you go overboard with it, for example, concluding:
Gniops wrote:You are a fucking goldmine for them!
"Well, I think you say some very stupid things" would have been quite enough to communicate your opinion.
Wolfritter wrote:Oh, on the contrary it does my imbecilic friend
Wolfritter wrote:unlike a certain moron
2046 has correctly deemed this rude. He should, of course, know better than to encourage you to continue:
2046 wrote:While I realize being my friend might give a hint of meaning to your life . . . one so very dull that you get your thrills breaking the rules calling others imbecilic . . . alas, I must break your heart and inform you that you are not my friend.
That said,
Praeothmin wrote:Last time I went to browse the HoS, I wasn't asked to log in, I was able to peruse the threads freely.
Maybe they reinstalled and forgot to set the forum permissions.

Personally, I've found that on the rare occasions that I visit, most of the interesting titles in the Star Trek versus Star Wars section have been moved to the HOS section and can't be read. Sometimes I wonder if every thread in which someone argues against the party line is locked or moved, but that's another discussion for another time in another forum section.

For now, it appears that we have forgotten where we are discussing these matters, and also forgotten that not several days ago, I promised to lock this thread if it didn't get more polite. Accordingly, I'm locking it.

If you want to discuss the actual Trek/Wars issues brought up in this thread, feel free to create a new one. I am, on the whole, not particularly impressed with many of the arguments offered by anybody in this thread.