Star Trek: Discovery

For polite and reasoned discussion of Star Wars and/or Star Trek.
Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Re: Star Trek: Discovery

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sat May 20, 2017 3:45 pm

The design of Discovery seems to have evolved quite a lot from the dorito with a saucer and a pair of old fashioned nacelles, going more organic too. The nacelles look the Enterprise refit's ones.
It's just clear that aside from references to TOS in other Trek shows, TOS is best seen as the ugly —and absolutely cringe worthy campy— counsin everybody wants to forget and yet which renown is to be exploited, abused and rinced as many times as necessary because it started all. Which I actually totally support.
In other words, forget about TOS' visuals or designs, just retain the plots and dialogues. Imagine they were nothing more than audiobooks, served with some inspirational rough sketches at the end, and let the milk flow!

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sat May 20, 2017 3:49 pm

Are all the aliens in gold and red armour bald Klingons?
The droid belond to the USS S....AX?
Tactile screens suck, so they use interactive holoscreens. Even if in many cases, you'll never beat plain old paper and physical buttons.
The Federation of that time hates shooting first. Good to know.
Is it some kind of stylized batleth we see at the end, weilded by the Klingon boss?

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Sat May 20, 2017 5:03 pm

The JJ-Akira is the Shenzou, not the Discovery. An ad poster suggests the ship is, structurally, only somewhat modified from the initial teaser, largely insofar as nacelle placement.

Supposedly the producers are trying to claim this as a visual reboot, which is of course a completely nonsensical statement. Basically CBS is just trying to go for the JJ look and feel without actually having to pay Paramount any money for the JJ-verse.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Mon May 22, 2017 3:43 am

sonofccn wrote:I don't know...Discovery still looks ugly to me. Almost what I'd expect a villain's ship to look like. Or maybe something from the Imperium of Man if you added some skulls and religious iconography.

Also, I'm not saying its a bad thing, but for a show called "Discovery" the trailer seemed more conflict focused than filled with the wonder of exploration.

But it does look impressive with very slick visuals.

My thoughts at least.

-Respectfully, Sonofccn

That is not the USS Discovery, it is the USS Shenzou seen coming out of the clouds and we only get a glimpse or two maybe of the Discovery herself.
-Mike

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Wed May 31, 2017 2:52 pm

Ah, intriguing. So the brown coaster-dorito-two-sausages design hasn't been ditched after all?

Iscander
Padawan

Post by Iscander » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:41 pm

Well Discovery makes its big premier tonight.

As I understand it the second episode will be on CBS All Access after the premier is over.

Jedi Knight

Post by 359 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:09 am

The first episode was bad...

A real disjointed mess that honestly flew in the face of what Starfleet officers are supposed to be. And this is coming from someone who was willing to give it a fair chance.

Jedi Knight

Post by 359 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:17 pm

And in that vein of giving it a fair chance I watched the second episode, and to my surprise that one was much, *much* better.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:33 pm

359 wrote:And in that vein of giving it a fair chance I watched the second episode, and to my surprise that one was much, *much* better.
It's better than crap, but is it good?

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:38 am

Other than some stylistic choices with the new updated visuals, I over all thought that the story and premise were good. But there is still a long ways to go and at least 14 more episodes until we see if the series can meet its promise.
-Mike

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:29 pm

Aside from the quality of the show itself, how would you gauge the overall reaction of the Trekdom community? Is it very enthiusastic, are people very excited, are other outraged or is there a certain degree and indifference. And how does that compare to reactions from the common Joe?

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:32 am

Scans of the hashtag #StarTrekDiscovery were decidedly mixed on premiere night. If I had to guess percentages:

10-15 enthusiastic
30% liked but grumbled or said FU to CBSAA
25% just confused by changes
35% said it wasn't Trek
Of the latter 60%, around one third thought it was crap.

I could probably rework the categories and such, bit that was what I was seeing, more or less.

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:33 am

I saw a post claiming that the critics were 80% positive and the average folk 70% opposed, or similar, and that these figures were almost exactly reversed for The Orville.

Sothis
Bridge Officer

Post by Sothis » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:11 pm

I didn’t mind it. It wasn’t awe-inspiring but it might prove to be an interesting addition to the Star Trek saga.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:56 pm

I liked the fact that the entire series is a single story arc or at least the first season is, hence why I'm more forgiving than some people towards the premier episodes, as this is the backstory and set up for the series proper and why we don't see the USS Discovery right off the bat. I also like that with Burnam, we have a flawed person who is going to have actually earn her redemption through the coming story arc and become a better person than she was/is. If it is done right, it will be very rewarding. If done poorly, well, then at the end of this season, expect some serious disappointment from not just me, but many others. It's that payoff that people are waiting for before calling judgement right away.
-Mike