Did UFP underestimate the Borg Star trek first Contact

For polite and reasoned discussion of Star Wars and/or Star Trek.
Jasonbelkin
Padawan

Did UFP underestimate the Borg Star trek first Contact

Post by Jasonbelkin » Tue May 10, 2016 3:29 am

In Deep Space Nine we heard Sisko talk about Borg attack stop Deep Space Nine season 5 espidoe 14 good doctor had the same uniform. Which lead to question how did Starfleet able to stop Borg attack before Star Trek first contact without Pircard help.
Possible answer first we did not know what they send first place. Smeller ships saw USS Enterprise E blow one of them to space dust.
Another possible is that the UFP surface defense might been more formidable Borg able to adapt might give them upper hand Star Trek first contact.
Third possible UFP say Star Trek First contact happen Middle of the Dominion war Balance the number ship require to take on Borg Cube.

TrueChristian
Redshirt

Re: Did UFP underestimate the Borg Star trek first Contact

Post by TrueChristian » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:23 am

It is nice to find a fellow autistic gentleman on these boards, I had not expected that given what I was told. Greetings, brother!
My thought is that the efficacy of the Borg shields' adaptive ability has been somewhat exaggerated. We have seen the shields in very limited situations and so the possible weaknesses are virtually unlimited.
I do think however that malodorous as UFO ships may be, there is really no evidence to support the idea that a ship could smell so badly that the Borg ship would be somehow damaged or the shields weakened.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:07 pm

I think they can adopt a lot because they have access to a ton of power.
For one, when a puny Federation ship attempts anything at a gigantic Cube, the power core of that Cube would allow the Borg to find a more efficient way to manage energy for a specific task. Also, I think a lot of the adaptation is nothing more than accepting losses for analysis and then applying the best procedure once all parameters have been processed. The Borg must assimilate knowledge and do it a lot through empirical ways, but they couldn't do that by isolating themselves behind a barrier forever.
There are also limits to how far you can "adapt" before you don't have any power left.
And, on the absolute other end of the spectrum, could a Borg drone adapt to a nuke detonated in its face?

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:25 am

Jasonbelkin wrote:Smeller ships saw USS Enterprise E blow one of them to space dust.
TrueChristian wrote:I do think however that malodorous as UFO ships may be, there is really no evidence to support the idea that a ship could smell so badly that the Borg ship would be somehow damaged or the shields weakened.
Mr. Oragahn wrote:And, on the absolute other end of the spectrum, could a Borg drone adapt to a nuke detonated in its face?
that's a great question. isn't there some debate still to whether the borg can adapt to kinetic force? isn't there some theory that the adaptation has to do with beam weapons and such? i suppose it goes back to the Death Star superlaser again. Maybe it could adapt to a nuke, if it could survive the first shot?

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:56 pm

mojo wrote:
Jasonbelkin wrote:Smeller ships saw USS Enterprise E blow one of them to space dust.
TrueChristian wrote:I do think however that malodorous as UFO ships may be, there is really no evidence to support the idea that a ship could smell so badly that the Borg ship would be somehow damaged or the shields weakened.
"All your cuisine will be tasted and assimilated."
– Le Borg

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:10 pm

mojo wrote:
Mr. Oragahn wrote:And, on the absolute other end of the spectrum, could a Borg drone adapt to a nuke detonated in its face?
that's a great question. isn't there some debate still to whether the borg can adapt to kinetic force? isn't there some theory that the adaptation has to do with beam weapons and such? i suppose it goes back to the Death Star superlaser again. Maybe it could adapt to a nuke, if it could survive the first shot?
Only a Special Edition Solo can survive a first shot.
That said, nukes release stuff as photons and all sorts of other highly energetic (nasty) particles that heat up the air.
The kinetic phase... is very intense. The drone should be both pancaked, ripped apart and toasted extra crispy.

To me, more seriously, Borg adaptation has always been nothing more than making absorption more efficient whilst they had vast reserves of energy to waste in the process thereof.
A Cube, for one, is so giganormous that it could even have a crappy absorption rate system and yet feel nothing the moment it started using shields in some uncaring way to stop the best Federation shots.
Drones "adapating" to shit and stuff could be due to them packing like power cells worth of a hundred phaser shots, dunno.

You cannot adapt against raw energy, only try to dispose of it or dodge it.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:28 pm

Mr. Oragahn wrote:
mojo wrote:
"All your cuisine will be tasted and assimilated."
– Le Borg
As insane as it seems, Trek fans often forget that a particle is ought to have a scent. Of all the made up particles that populate the show and cause lots of mayhem, it's entirely possible that some of them may be both poisonous, destructive to hulls (or even shields) and not particularly pleasant to olfactory senses.
Considering the relevance of smell in encounters, notably regarding the Borg's motto, please consider Evidence #1 and Evidence #2.