AT-AT Deserves a Round of Applause.

For polite and reasoned discussion of Star Wars and/or Star Trek.
Jedi Knight

AT-AT Deserves a Round of Applause.

Post by 359 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:57 am

In the latest Star Wars: Rebels episode (as of this writing) "A Princess on Lothal" features a battle in which The Ghost fights two AT-AT walkers. in her first pass the ship hits one of the walkers with a pair of proton torpedoes and then another pair, blasting a massive set of holes in its side finally taking it down. The ship then begins engaging the other walker.

And then the first one stands back up.

Now this is far from the normal combat vehicles we see where they seem to blow up if breathed on, and it actually makes me like the walkers much more.

Moff Tarquin
Bridge Officer

Re: AT-AT Deserves a Round of Applause.

Post by Moff Tarquin » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:18 am

Proton torpedoes? Uh, weren't those supposed to be kiloton+ nuclear fusion weapons?

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:48 am

Captain Rex, Captain Gregor and Commander Wolffe's plucky little AT-TE pulls off a similar feat in the Rebels episode "Relics of the Old Republic".
-Mike

Jedi Knight

Post by 359 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:27 am

Moff Tarquin wrote:Proton torpedoes? Uh, weren't those supposed to be kiloton+ nuclear fusion weapons?
They were definitely Proton Torpedoes, but perhaps with a lower yield warhead than ones used on capital ships. They definitely had a smaller blast than the ones used on the Malevolence in TCW: "Shadow of Malevolence."

Mike DiCenso wrote:Captain Rex, Captain Gregor and Commander Wolffe's plucky little AT-TE pulls off a similar feat in the Rebels episode "Relics of the Old Republic".
True, but this one felt much more impressive, more of a rise of the dead than the shear stubbornness of the clones. Also it's a "bad guy's" thing actually being threatening. And really the walker took far far more damage than the AT-TE. Burning debris fell from the holes in its side as it rose back from its grave, smoke billowing.

Moff Tarquin
Bridge Officer

Post by Moff Tarquin » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:10 am

359 wrote:
Moff Tarquin wrote:Proton torpedoes? Uh, weren't those supposed to be kiloton+ nuclear fusion weapons?
They were definitely Proton Torpedoes, but perhaps with a lower yield warhead than ones used on capital ships. They definitely had a smaller blast than the ones used on the Malevolence in TCW: "Shadow of Malevolence."

Mike DiCenso wrote:Captain Rex, Captain Gregor and Commander Wolffe's plucky little AT-TE pulls off a similar feat in the Rebels episode "Relics of the Old Republic".
True, but this one felt much more impressive, more of a rise of the dead than the shear stubbornness of the clones. Also it's a "bad guy's" thing actually being threatening. And really the walker took far far more damage than the AT-TE. Burning debris fell from the holes in its side as it rose back from its grave, smoke billowing.
Dude, that sounds friggin' epic! I might have to start watching Rebels!

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:18 pm

Do you remember that fantastic episode featuring Jar Jar being stalked by a vicious proton torpedo?
Of course you do! It was epic too! And let's be honest, I'm sure the proton torpedo you're talking about probably has more to do with a souped up version taken from that episode than a water version used by starfighters. It's quite lo-gi-cal!

Enterprise E
Bridge Officer

Post by Enterprise E » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:01 pm

I haven't seen the episode, so what was the size of their blasts compared to the blasts seen in A New Hope and The Force Awakens? That could give us a good indicator as to whether or not these are the exceptional low end or actually pretty similar. I ask because the starfighter laser blasts and even blaster cannon shots in The Force Awakens seemed to be significantly stronger than the fighter and gunship laser blasts seen in the prequels so I would guess that Proton Torpedoes would undergo similar yield increase to keep up and still be useful, especially against capital ships.

Jedi Knight

Post by 359 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:28 pm

The torpedoes fired in the Rebels episode seemed to have a significantly smaller blast than the ones in TCW, RotJ, or TFA. The blasts were slightly smaller than the flank of an AT-AT whereas the primary blast of those fired in TCW: "Shadow of Malevolence" were larger than a Y-Wing, which in turn were similar in scale to those seen in TFA. The largest blast is from RotJ against the Deathstar's core, but that also could have included secondary blasts.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:23 am

I tell you, it's a slightly enhanced proton torpedo, working all the way up from the stalking model that tried to kill our beloved Jar Jar.
I am sirious guys!