Star Wars: Rebels Season Two Trailer

For polite and reasoned discussion of Star Wars and/or Star Trek.
Starship Captain

Re: Star Wars: Rebels Season Two Trailer

Post by 2046 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:19 am

I referred to troopers and was exaggerating, but think about it . . . that's three. TCW killed three people per minute of screen time . . . no wiggling supposed-to-be-dead troopers there.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:47 pm

Yes, but then there is a considerable bit more death here when Kanan and Rex escape from the Interdictor star destroyer not only for those stormtroopers likely killed by deflected blaster bolts from Kanan and Ezra, but everyone onboard that ship and the Arquitens-class light cruisers definitely died when the sabotaged generators pulled them into each other. How many hundreds, if not thousands died on those ships?

I think we've seen that, like TCW before it, Rebels is starting to take a much darker turn in its story as the stakes get higher for the heroes.

That being said, shields and armor on any of these vessels seem to be up to Saxtonian ideal, and who the hell designs the crew stations for these ships? I mean running to a station located at the center of a huge open pit that can only be accessed via narrow catwalks which in turn have no railings is just the height of design stupidity.
-Mike

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:41 am

I will concede that they are not at 1980's GI Joe levels of cartooniness where every shot-down fighter had to have a parachuting survivor come out of it. However, when it comes to personal deaths, especially those without specific need in the plot (which is most every background trooper kill, et cetera) they avoid it to cartoonish levels, what with the wiggling and all.

You mention "likely killed", for instance, but given wiggly-troopers there is no need to assume that in this show, which is the point. Even in the "considerable bit of death" video the trooper who is hit at 1:29 on the left is wiggling for the remainder of the scene, four seconds, as if merely injured.

Now, I suppose you could argue that death is not immediate, which is true enough for real gunshots. Only in Hollywood does a single gunshot to any point on the torso produce immediate death of non-speaking characters. Reality is much messier. However, compare the Rebels wiggly-trooper prevalence to the films, or compare to TCW with saber-gored or visibly-blaster-penetrated troopers taking on a lifeless stillness. That, like most live-action movies, was still unrealistic insofar as limbs staying on in explosions and such, but it was at least Hollywood-standard killing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss1nFJC197M

It is obvious enough to me that this is Disney influence. And being so different from the other material, then, as I said, I think it negates analysis even if the two did inhabit the same universe.

Jedi Knight

Post by 359 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:40 am

Not really part of the trailer, but still season 2 and not quite worth its own thread, in my opinion:

In the new Rebels episode "The Protector of Concord Dawn" we encounter some Mandalorians and get a couple useful pieces of information. First we have the reinforcement of the need for hyperlanes.

The overall premise of the episode is that the Empire is making travel around their section of the outer rim more difficult for the growing rebel fleet. To this end they need to secure a new route in and out of the Lothal system, and it just so happens one of the few other ways is through the system containing Concord Dawn. If their ships could simple fly along any trajectory then this wouldn't be an issue, space is big and they could skip over the system by a light-year. But apparently this route takes them through the system and requires them to drop out of hyperspace, otherwise why would they need permission and how could they be stopped. This on its own is an interesting tidbit to think about.

The second real piece of information is that a Mandalorian star fighter takes a significant amount of time to reach orbit and doesn't accelerate beyond a person's ability to hold on. In one scene Kanan grabs hold of the fighter as it attempts to take off and break orbit. He is able to hold on, so it can't be accelerating at too many g's, and spends some time on the hull indicating it says within breathable altitude for the duration of the scene.

Another interesting bit is that we see a partly shattered planet said to be the effect of many thousands of wars.