HD Version of Skin of Evil Calcable?

For polite and reasoned discussion of Star Wars and/or Star Trek.
Lucky
Jedi Master

HD Version of Skin of Evil Calcable?

Post by Lucky » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:07 am

I was looking over screen caps at TrekCore, and noticed that in the HD version of Skin of Evil that there was a detail the seemed to not be there in the original version.

1) Photon Torpedo heading for the planet

2) Photon Torpedo explodes on planet's surface.

3) The apparent fireball from the Photon Torpedo has continued to grow, and is joined by a second smaller exploration at the edge of the larger first fireball.

It would seem that with the secondary explosion you can rule out the shuttle's remaining fuel as a contributer to the primary explosion?

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Re: HD Version of Skin of Evil Calcable?

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:57 am

Lucky wrote:I was looking over screen caps at TrekCore, and noticed that in the HD version of Skin of Evil that there was a detail the seemed to not be there in the original version.

1) Photon Torpedo heading for the planet

2) Photon Torpedo explodes on planet's surface.

3) The apparent fireball from the Photon Torpedo has continued to grow, and is joined by a second smaller exploration at the edge of the larger first fireball.

It would seem that with the secondary explosion you can rule out the shuttle's remaining fuel as a contributer to the primary explosion?
I'm not sure, from those frames, that the second explosion to start is the smaller one. It would take a frame by frame analysis.

Certainly, at the least, pixel-counting errors should be less important in the HD version.

Jedi Knight

Post by 359 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:54 pm

I don't know about frame-by-frame, but it looks like a flare coming off of the side of the explosion when watching the episode. That could still be the antimatter pod, or it could be just a part of the blast. It's hard to tell.

But it seems fairly clear that the blast is from the torpedo. And I would assume that the shuttle ejected its antimatter pod as shown to be normal in DS9: "Battle Lines." So I suppose that could be the pod if it landed a hundred or so kilometers from the crash site.

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:56 am

Even in 480i the blast was never a perfect circle/sphere.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:54 pm

One thing I've noticed as I've been going over the new HD TNG material is how some of the special effects have been added to, not simply cleaned up. Its a bit subtle, but the changes are there, and now it makes me wonder since Deep Space Nine is getting a similar treatment if we won't be seeing some modification to the infamous TDiC bombardment scene to make it more detailed and accurate.
-Mike

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:53 pm

Indications I've seen is that DS9 isn't happening, which is a shame.