More Clone Wars Story Reels - Bad Batch Arc

For polite and reasoned discussion of Star Wars and/or Star Trek.
Darth Spock
Bridge Officer

More Clone Wars Story Reels - Bad Batch Arc

Post by Darth Spock » Mon May 04, 2015 2:41 am

Four more unfinished story reels from the Clone Wars:

http://www.starwars.com/video/the-bad-b ... story-reel

And a youtube link for folks like me who can't stream better than 240p:

https://youtu.be/wop0vjo40CA

All 8 story reels can be found on that channel.

I wonder how these will fall under canon status.

SpacePaladin
Padawan

Re: More Clone Wars Story Reels - Bad Batch Arc

Post by SpacePaladin » Mon May 04, 2015 3:37 pm

Darth Spock wrote:Four more unfinished story reels from the Clone Wars:

http://www.starwars.com/video/the-bad-b ... story-reel

And a youtube link for folks like me who can't stream better than 240p:

https://youtu.be/wop0vjo40CA

All 8 story reels can be found on that channel.

I wonder how these will fall under canon status.
I think the best way to view them is that these are recordings whose visuals were somewhat corrupted. The audio is canon, as are the stories they tell, but anyone doing visual analysis should take them with a grain of salt.

I think the best option to honour the actors and the efforts taken by the animators is to make them motion comics.

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Mon May 04, 2015 10:33 pm

Saved these for today, and May the 4th Be With You.

Have watched the first for pleasure, but by memory:

I note that the Republic gunship is light enough to be righted by an extra-strong clone, and that a knife is useful for killing droids. The gunship door was also blaster-proof, and shooting a droid popper somehow enhances it.

What is that Hollywood notion about where shooting a thing makes it do multiple times the same amount of whatever it was doing?

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Mon May 04, 2015 11:12 pm

2046 wrote:Saved these for today, and May the 4th Be With You.

Have watched the first for pleasure, but by memory:

I note that the Republic gunship is light enough to be righted by an extra-strong clone, and that a knife is useful for killing droids. The gunship door was also blaster-proof, and shooting a droid popper somehow enhances it.

What is that Hollywood notion about where shooting a thing makes it do multiple times the same amount of whatever it was doing?
I guess it's in the concept of taking a shot. You boost yourself. No forget it, lame. I don't know. Maybe it comes from comics wherein some superheroes got their powers by being shot by lightning, weird energy or gamma rays, etc.?
Then, as an offshot of this trope, comes the idea that some machines, if shot with energy, will do better.

Oh, btw, why should be accept those reels? If they have been cut and never officalized, they cannot be considered canonical, therefore cannot be accepted.

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Tue May 05, 2015 3:23 am

Yes, they are canon. I went over that regarding the last batch. I see no indication that these are to be treated any differently. Give wiggle room for the visuals and they're no different than TCW Season Six.

The last one features direct reference to a fusion reactor as the powerplant for a Separatist (or captured Republic) facility, and it matches the same basic stalactite/stalagmite reactor design seen in every other part of Star Wars, including the DS2 reactor.

So, even if I didn't have the novelizations, Lucas's presumably-final gift is that I wouldn't need them.

There is also (select text for spoiler) a bomb hidden in that reactor that was thought by Echo of Borg to be big enough to destroy most of Anaxes. It was approximately four meters, spherical, and had the funny rod thing on top like the rhydonium detonator in the Abafar arc.

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Tue May 05, 2015 3:50 am

Also, the Republic apparently had one, and seemingly only one, shipbuilding facility: Anaxes, "the home of the Republic shipyards".

Its potential capture was thought by Windu to be a loss that would "compromise our entire reserve fleet". The opening narration of the final episode notes that the Republic is trying to "regain control of their vital shipyards", and upon victory, Windu notes that "with our shipyards operational again we can expect more victories on all battle fronts across the galaxy".

We never see any orbital facilities, but instead sprawling ground facilities. They may have been incomplete, but it seems plausible that ship construction, as in JJ-Trek, was a ground-based affair.

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Tue May 05, 2015 4:10 am

More on story reels and canonicity can be found here: http://weblog.st-v-sw.net/2014/10/cryst ... ersus.html

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Tue May 05, 2015 8:53 pm

2046 wrote:Yes, they are canon.
Why?

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Tue May 05, 2015 9:17 pm

In pre-reboot logic, because they were mostly complete TCW stories which are no different than season six but for final polish. Is season six not canon? How about if Paramount released ENT Season 5 episodes that were filmed and edited but didn't have the final effects in place, but instead pre-vis elements and hand-drawn parts?

In post-reboot logic, because Disney via Pablo says they happened.

Either way, they're good.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Tue May 05, 2015 9:50 pm

2046 wrote:In pre-reboot logic, because they were mostly complete TCW stories which are no different than season six but for final polish. Is season six not canon? How about if Paramount released ENT Season 5 episodes that were filmed and edited but didn't have the final effects in place, but instead pre-vis elements and hand-drawn parts?

In post-reboot logic, because Disney via Pablo says they happened.

Either way, they're good.
I'm not sure about the first one. For one, did Lucas ever reject the Ewok movies as part of his canon? Yet he's behind them, their scripts, so on and so forth.
I think I had read about the second one here, but forgot about it. That one, though, is totally solid.
Thank you.

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Wed May 06, 2015 3:24 am

I don't see the connection with Ewok movies.

TCW was Lucas canon. He sold and Disney said 'LOL Cartoon Network fail' and ended it in the middle of production. It's still perfectly good.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Wed May 06, 2015 6:32 pm

Definitely those Story Reels are canon as the current Disney-backed Rebels series has elements from them, namely the mysterious kyber crystals and their use for a certain planetoid-sized weapon of mass destruction.
-Mike

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Thu May 07, 2015 2:57 pm

For "extra strong clone", actually read "superhuman". He can toss people like ten or more feet in the air straight up repeatedly without building up inertia as in a spinning shot put toss, and in another instance tosses one guy perhaps twenty or thirty.

Compare with this world record guy who tosses a skinny kid laterally about 20 feet by building up rotation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cB_vlaP-3uo

This clone could probably match or better "I have five times your strength" Khan in an arm wrestle.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Thu May 07, 2015 9:11 pm

2046 wrote:I don't see the connection with Ewok movies.

TCW was Lucas canon. He sold and Disney said 'LOL Cartoon Network fail' and ended it in the middle of production. It's still perfectly good.
Outside of Hidalgo, the only thing making this canon would be ... nothing.
If Lucas didn't chose to finish the show before selling his property, it means he didn't consider it worth finishing. Anything pertaining to the fictional work but not officially released is best considered rough production material, notes. If Lucas had released a piece of script he wrote on the back of a paper enveloppe, but which didn't find its way into a final product, it wouldn't be canonical in the slightest. It would just remain as material left on the cut floor, so to speak.

As for the Ewok movies, they are official products and their story is clearly happening within the SW universe, but for some reason, it seems that they were some kind of EU.
The point is, if those movies, clearly belonging to the SW universe, and released as finished products, didn't count as part of the canon apparently (ok they suck but that's not an argument), why any material that is best considered discarded should?

There are bits of interesting trivia about the first movie on the official site.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Thu May 07, 2015 9:21 pm

Mike DiCenso wrote:Definitely those Story Reels are canon as the current Disney-backed Rebels series has elements from them, namely the mysterious kyber crystals and their use for a certain planetoid-sized weapon of mass destruction.
-Mike
That's a logic quite broken, sharing a similarity with the ICS being canonical because it's based on production material (that never was canon since, well, it's only production material).
As far as we know, no one who reads those reels will ever know about the new elements before they're properly introduced in the released fictional material. So those references might as well not exist.
Disney also gave itself the liberty to exploit the old EU at length. Although they declared it as external to their canon, the logic you use would mean that said EU is both part of the canon and outside of it, just because Disney uses elements from the old EU for its new material, therefore making the entirety of the EU part of the canon.