Internal components of a Phaser

For polite and reasoned discussion of Star Wars and/or Star Trek.
Lucky
Jedi Master

Internal components of a Phaser

Post by Lucky » Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:37 am

Franchise: Star Trek Series: Next Generation Season: 06 Episode: 11 Title: Chain of Command, Part 2 wrote: JELLICO: Your ships will leave the nebula one by one. Each ship will eject its primary phaser coil before setting course for the nearest Cardassian base.
Franchise: Star Trek Series: Next Generation Season: 03 Episode: 26 Title: The Best of Both Worlds, Part 1 wrote: LAFORGE: At the same time, we'll be retuning phasers to higher EM base emitting frequencies to try to disrupt their subspace field.

This makes a Phaser sound like it incorporates a Fiber laser
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiber_laser

Franchise: Star Trek Series: Next Generation Season: 03 Episode: 26 Title: The Best of Both Worlds, Part 1 wrote: SHELBY: I think we should look at modifying the plasma phaser design.
Franchise: Star Trek Series: Next Generation Season: 04 Episode: 01 Title: The Best of Both Worlds, Part 1 wrote: SHELBY: Acknowledged. Fire antimatter spread.
Franchise: Star Trek Series: Next Generation Season: 06 Episode: 26 Title: Decent Part 1 wrote: WORF: These wounds were caused by a forced plasma beam, similar to a Ferengi hand phaser.
Franchise: Star Trek Series: Next Generation Season: 04 Episode: 24 Title: The Mind's Eye wrote: LAFORGE: Rapid nadion pulse, right on target. Beam control assembly, safety interlock, both checked out. Beam width intensity controls also responding correctly.
Franchise: Star Trek Series: Voyager Season: 04 Episode: 16 Title: Prey wrote: SEVEN: I'll modify the phaser rifles to fire nanoprobe discharges.

Phasers incorporate powerful particle accelerators capable of firing things with a mass comparable to a human cell.

Franchise: Star Trek Series: Next Generation Season: 05 Episode: 09 Title: A Matter of Time wrote: DATA: If our phaser discharge is off by as little as point zero six terawatts, it would cause a cascading exothermal inversion.
Franchise: Star Trek Series: Voyager Season: 05 Episode: 03 Title: Extreme Risk wrote: SEVEN: Lieutenant, what are you doing? 

TORRES: Patching a hole before it opens. 

KIM: That'll never hold. 

TORRES: It'll hold a minute or two, and with any luck that's all we need. Seven, take over here. I need an EPS relay. 

KIM: Er, there's one in the transporter control circuitry. 

SEVEN: The panel is sealed. 

TORRES: Good. Get away from it. 

(She attaches the relay to a device she has taken from a locker.)

TORRES: I need a phaser.

(Kim throws one to her. She plugs it into the device as the repair starts to buckle. Then she turns the phaser on and adjusts the EPS relay power feed.)

TORRES:  Watch out. I don't know if this is going to work. 

(She creates a forcefield across the area of the microfractures. When the hull breaches, the ship is still safe.)

KIM: Glad you decided to come along.
Phasers appear to incorporate some sort of force field to contain the Phaser beam and discriminate between the target and its surroundings that is similar to the force fields used on the ships.