Executor... executes only twice as much as a bog standard SD

For polite and reasoned discussion of Star Wars and/or Star Trek.
Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Executor... executes only twice as much as a bog standard SD

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:02 pm

Thanks to RSA for the link provided in another thread.
http://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars- ... asurements
Pablo Hidalgo wrote:The next source to weigh in on anything quantitative is The Art of The Empire Strikes Back (1980) which tells us, rather unhelpfully, that Vader’s Star Destroyer has “twice the destructive capability of any craft in the Imperial fleet.”
Underarmed much?
And I'm generous here, because any craft could also mean a TIE fighter.
It reads like it has 2x the boom of anything smaller than itself in the Imperial Fleet.

'sides, he doesn't mention the 17.6 km length. Why the hell does it seem everybody forgets about this one when it has been a regular for years, perhaps more than a decade even, after both the 8 km and the 12.x km lengths were more or less corrected?

Still, it's a very cool article. I dug the rosetta stone of sd sizes, aka the brass sd.
Tiny, yet so important. Size does not matter.

Plus, considering that the BSD was used in the only shot which could be used in the movie to actually measure the ship (that's the one I was working on by drawing lines and fiddling with projections but I ran out of time on that too), I think the 13,469 km long figure is pretty solid, then.

The +~12 km one wasn't too off, I guess.

Darth Spock
Bridge Officer

Re: Executor... executes only twice as much as a bog standar

Post by Darth Spock » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:52 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote:
Pablo Hidalgo wrote:The next source to weigh in on anything quantitative is The Art of The Empire Strikes Back (1980) which tells us, rather unhelpfully, that Vader’s Star Destroyer has “twice the destructive capability of any craft in the Imperial fleet.”
Underarmed much?
And I'm generous here, because any craft could also mean a TIE fighter.
It reads like it has 2x the boom of anything smaller than itself in the Imperial Fleet.
Uh, it has 2x the firepower of the Death Star, which has a firepower greater than half the star fleet. Uh, yeah. That. That sounds good. :P

Unhelpful indeed. More realistically, yet still significantly more powerful, it could mean it has twice the destructive power of any of the other command ships. Or better yet, why fuss with vague verbiage from sources not responsible for setting canon on cannons. A very interesting read though, indeed. For the time being, I'm happy to just think of it as big.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Fri May 08, 2015 8:02 am

[url=http://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-mysteries-exacting-executor-measurements]Pablo Hidalgo[/url] wrote: The next source to weigh in on anything quantitative is The Art of The Empire Strikes Back (1980) which tells us, rather unhelpfully, that Vader’s Star Destroyer has “twice the destructive capability of any craft in the Imperial fleet.”
Since the Deathstars were battle-stations we can rule them out, but it seems the most commonly seen Imperial warship is the Imperial Stardestroyer... I guess that in Legends ships don't scale up well after a certain size, and an SSD is just pointlessly big.

Darth Spock
Bridge Officer

Post by Darth Spock » Tue May 12, 2015 3:18 am

Lucky wrote:
[url=http://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-mysteries-exacting-executor-measurements]Pablo Hidalgo[/url] wrote: The next source to weigh in on anything quantitative is The Art of The Empire Strikes Back (1980) which tells us, rather unhelpfully, that Vader’s Star Destroyer has “twice the destructive capability of any craft in the Imperial fleet.”
Since the Deathstars were battle-stations we can rule them out, but it seems the most commonly seen Imperial warship is the Imperial Stardestroyer... I guess that in Legends ships don't scale up well after a certain size, and an SSD is just pointlessly big.
Darth Spock wrote: More realistically, yet still significantly more powerful, it could mean it has twice the destructive power of any of the other command ships. Or better yet, why fuss with vague verbiage from sources not responsible for setting canon on cannons.