Crystals, gemstones in SW used in weapons?

For polite and reasoned discussion of Star Wars and/or Star Trek.
Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Crystals, gemstones in SW used in weapons?

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:57 pm

Let me get this straight. Do we have any evidence that particle beams can be funneled through more or less translucent stones and come out on the other side without damaging the stone in question?

I'm thinking of Kyber crystal based devices and lightsabres.
But it needn't stop there, since perhaps we might have overlooked an unique property to turbolasers which we've ignored for a long time and which make them more bizarre than we thought?

All those beams don't behave like light so it's easy to consider that they're some kind of plasma for example, at least particles with some significant mass which get jacketed inside some convoluted force field.

I considered the whole idea of shooting such beams through crystals was just lazy crap from the EU but it seems to crawl its way into new and official canon now.

SpacePaladin
Padawan

Re: Crystals, gemstones in SW used in weapons?

Post by SpacePaladin » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:25 pm

Mr. Oragahn wrote:Let me get this straight. Do we have any evidence that particle beams can be funneled through more or less translucent stones and come out on the other side without damaging the stone in question?

I'm thinking of Kyber crystal based devices and lightsabres.
But it needn't stop there, since perhaps we might have overlooked an unique property to turbolasers which we've ignored for a long time and which make them more bizarre than we thought?

All those beams don't behave like light so it's easy to consider that they're some kind of plasma for example, at least particles with some significant mass which get jacketed inside some convoluted force field.

I considered the whole idea of shooting such beams through crystals was just lazy crap from the EU but it seems to crawl its way into new and official canon now.
I dunno, Kyber Crystals are stated to be the only crystals that were weaponized, and the only interest in Kyber Crystals as weapons was in superweapons and by Hondo, suggesting that Kyber Crystals being used by non-Jedi was something only really done in the black market or black ops.