Episode VII The Force Awakens Trailer

For polite and reasoned discussion of Star Wars and/or Star Trek.
Darth Spock
Bridge Officer

Re: Episode VII The Force Awakens Trailer

Post by Darth Spock » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:26 pm

Mr. Oragahn wrote:Old notes or not, I hoped that His Lipidous Mighty Blob might deign doing something remotely related to Journal of the Whills. I guess we'll have to settle for a Pamphlet of the Whont's for eternity.
Not being entirely sure where the Journal of the Whills would stray from the current Star Wars path (there are a lot of forks in the script revisions that I can tell), I think that's more or less what I'm wondering about for the new films. Just how much is going to be salvaged from the original concepts, and how much is just Disney playing with their expensive new toy? That's one reason I hold hope for the new trilogy. Star Wars isn't a success because the core story is crap, but Lucas' personal touches in directing the specifics seem to be the cause of the biggest criticisms that the franchise has garnered. The last half of Star Wars saga under others direction could repeat the success of ESB. I also understand that each film is to be directed by someone new, so, even if SW:7 manages to become JJ's lens flare edition of the prequels revisited, there's two more shots to score. I'm going to keep my optimism for as long as I can!
Mr. Oragahn wrote:Besides, what's that stuff about notes anyway? One day he firmly says there's nothing to tell beyond the new CGI ghost of Anakin (eek) and even shoots his parrot in the head to prove his point, then the next morning, he has notes for sequels of sequels of sequels?
The joke is on ... him?
I'm guessing it's reaching back to the really old rough notes. He shot his parrot... what? You lost me.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:32 pm

theta_pinch wrote: Does the crossguard light saber look silly to anyone else?
Ugly and pointless the the Sith's design is. Lightsabers are more similar to Jian in shape, and are talked about in much the same manner.

The new Sith's lightsaber is based on a two-handed greatsword, but if you can't touch the cross guard or the blade it loses a lot of functionality.
http://www.thearma.org/essays/2HGS.html#.VH9XNBxnb9k

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:22 am

Reminds me of the Expanded Universe's horrible light-whip. OMG. All coolness, pure sh1t.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:19 am

OI! MERRY CHRISTMAS!

No spoilers about the new release? Do people not care so much about Star Windows Seven?
I thought it was meant to be released this year. At least it will be good eye pr0n and source of plenty high quality CGI screengrabs.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:20 am

Tush cow. So there's a spin off in prep. Plus plenty of new EU material that ties into Seven.
Can't wait to download all of that!

(untight your anuses guys, it's not 2005 and downloading can be 200% legal)

Beefy GL gets more and more ambiguous about his involvement in the new movie. Lately, it turns out that his ideas might have entirely been ignored. Some fans are ultra upset.
What upsets me is that they couldn't find anyone but JJA to exploit this unique occasion to create some new SW material free of GL's hindrance.
I mean, GL. Gordo Lucas. Once you shove Jar Jar into the audience's faces, you've really lost credibility. Not to say that the whole treatment of Anakin goes South was rather mediocre at best.
"I don't like SAND! You envy my POWAH! You stole my GIRLFRIEND! And I wanted a PURPLE LIGHTSABER TOO!!!"
**Lava match, round 2!**
**FIGHT!!**

I also got a glimpse of Strange Magic.
Damn. Me eyes. It hurts. Reminds me of the Special Edition's addition of that ugly CGI singer in ROTJ, the one with a mouth so long that she might be the best blower in the entire sector, assuming you don't mind the looks.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:17 pm

Returning to the lightsabre blahstuff, there might be canonical evidence of material withstanding the hit of a lightsabre. In TESB, when Luke strikes Vader's shoulder.
It might be a glancing hit, but when you consider how little material there'd be there anyway and how this weapon usually immediately damages whatever it touches, i'm rather certain it would have left at the very least a noticeable mark. The material is black so that limits the chances of seeing a scorch mark, but what about a hole?
We only saw sparkles, which would logically be some armour material be chipped off. Although the tougher layer might have been covered by a layer of another material that wouldn't cope well with the blade.
Now, it's unclear if the team wanted Luke's blade to hit Vader's neck or shoulder. The VFX has the blade really come close to his neck but the explosion is triggered on the shoulder.
Anyway, the move was so fast that it would be pure fluke that the blade hadn't been swung as to point closer to Vader's inner shoulder.
So depending on your personnal interpretation, either you think it was a glancing hit and a full swing into the armour would have cut Vader in half, or the armour really stopped the blade.

OK, that's not exactly a convincing case of lightsabre resistant material.
All that... perhaps to explain the odd E7 weapon.

Darth Spock
Bridge Officer

Post by Darth Spock » Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:29 am

Well, it would certainly help alleviate some of the impracticality of the weapon. Lightsaber resistant material isn't all that uncommon outside of the EU even. The Zillo scales come to mind. Even less exotic examples have been seen to take effort to cut through. The "Czech hedgehog" like obstacles seen in one of the CW season 2 Geonosis arc episodes had an injured Ki Adi Mundi struggling to pull his saber through it. Even mundane materials seem to have some natural resistance, thinking of the neat hole left in Qui-Gon in episode one, and when Yoda's saber became lodged in a clone's torso after being thrown there in ROTS. For all the slice and dice action we see, lightsaber blades seem to put up at least a little resistance just naturally. So, yeah, it's not all that far fetched.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:18 pm

I think the lightsabre being stuck in the clonetrooper's torso had to do with Yoda keeping it in place. Flesh and that kind of armour shouldn't provide that much resistance, the weapon's weight should have made the blade swing upwards through the torso and cut the head in half with the hilt falling before the trooper. Why solid blades get stuck is becauseo f the huge friction and the material strength, two elements lightsabre blades ignore to a large degree.
The door Qui-Gon Jinn tried to destroy was a multi-layered reinforced seal, perhaps using some shielding.
That's also interesting in terms of application in starship hulls.
It's possible some materials oppose more resistance than others though, hence why some solid pieces get cut with only a scorch mark while other still have their edges glowing. Therefore the more work the blade does, and the more residual heat gets deposited into the assaulted material.
At least we have numerous examples from the movies showing that cuts into flesh only leave scorch marks but don't pulverize or literally set on fire the tissues. Sometimes even blood manages to escape the cauterization (Maul cut into two pieces or the other dude's arm in the cantina).
Perhaps it's sheer fluke but I think Anakin's weapon in ROTS tends to leave many glowing edges when carving into metals, and leaves zero blood as if tissue was largely cauterized.
Perhaps his own weapon was more powerful?

The way the lightsabre is built might also have an effect on this phenomenon.

Darth Spock
Bridge Officer

Post by Darth Spock » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:28 am

Well, I agree that none of those materials could actually support a saber lodged in them by resistance to the blade, but I think they add to the idea that there is at least some resistance to some degree. When I first saw Yoda's saber in the clone, I wondered if perhaps the forward flange had actually wedged into the softened armor in order to support the weight. The idea is more that looking at these examples, not to mention the distinct lack of interaction between the blades and the water in the Water War arc in the Clone Wars, there seems to be more that the slightest twitch needed to slice through many materials.
Then when we saw Qui-Gon melting his way through the door in TPM, it seemed to me he was doing a lot of twisting and manipulating with his saber to cause more damage, while the point of entry on his side was no where near as damaged. Also, going back Yoda's saber in the clone, and Mauls saber stab against Qui-Gon, it seems a disproportionate amount of effort would have to have gone into minimizing the amount of damage by keeping the blade steady in the wound, as apposed to there being at least some resistance helping along.

In the end I think it makes sense too, considering sabers don't pass through forcefields, each other, or matter for that matter, they either cut it or stop, no passing through like you would expect from a normal beam or particle stream. And there has to be limits, like the Zillo scales or the barriers Mundi faced in "Landing at Point Rain," anything that is beyond or near the limit of the saber's output will either take longer to cut or bounce off.
Perhaps something closer to something you said at one point about there possibly being a force field of some sort surrounding a more volatile core: http://www.starfleetjedi.net/forum/view ... 308#p51308

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:44 pm

See http://www.starfleetjedi.net/forum/view ... f=8&t=6723 for a new statement on lightsaber tech.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:59 pm

Darth Spock wrote:Well, I agree that none of those materials could actually support a saber lodged in them by resistance to the blade, but I think they add to the idea that there is at least some resistance to some degree. When I first saw Yoda's saber in the clone, I wondered if perhaps the forward flange had actually wedged into the softened armor in order to support the weight. The idea is more that looking at these examples, not to mention the distinct lack of interaction between the blades and the water in the Water War arc in the Clone Wars, there seems to be more that the slightest twitch needed to slice through many materials.
The problem being that the hilt itself, acting as a prolongation of the blade and making the weapon a complete system, has its own mass and moved very quick.
F=ma and all that, the blade beingstuck still makes no sense. It would require the fact that a lightsabre's blade is solid and, above all, requiring a serious amount of push for the blade to start eating at stuff.
Then you have gravity itself, once the weapon's blade is lodged into the guy's torso.
Perhaps the novelization has a word or two about that specific moment.
Yoda sends his blade spinning and it's the hilt isn't pressing against the clonetrooper's chest once hit. Plus the guy moves but the weapon does not.

But then, perhaps the force field that contains the blade gets, I don't know, intertwined with more solid matter. It kinda "bonds" with it and the force field, passing through said matter, actually reinforces it?
That's a problem, because theories about lightsabre blades rely heavily on the force field for containing the blade's destructive power and also isolating that power from surrounding matter.
But there's something else: the blade, despite being stuck in the trooper for more than one second, doesn't melt his guts and has them splash out from both hole ends.
This would suggest not further contact with the blade beyond the initial piercing and above all, a minimal amount of piercing as well. I mean, the blade perhaps cut a really tiny tiny tunnel through the torso.

Honestly, although it sounds convenient, due to the way the blade really stays in the same place once inside the guy, I prefer to say a wizard did it, literally. :)

But it's even worse with that TCW episode wherein, if I get it properly, the sheer pressure of water didn't even manage to push into the the blade on its own. At which point you wonder when would matter finally fail under the pressure applied through a blade.
I didn't get the feeling that Solo had to make any particular effort when slicing through the Tauntaun and that's a very useful although unfortunately rare event, movie wise, because it's the only one which features a human using such a weapon.

Now, what I'll say doesn't count, but I think in Jedi Knight II (which as much more technologcally advanced than Dark Force II and thus allowed for more effects and accuracy), there was a level with rain and they had the blade vaporize the drops.

I didn't watch TCW but perhaps the Force was used to strengthen the blade and repel the water?
Then when we saw Qui-Gon melting his way through the door in TPM, it seemed to me he was doing a lot of twisting and manipulating with his saber to cause more damage, while the point of entry on his side was no where near as damaged.
This is easily explained because his weapon's blade didn't stick out of the other end. It only went as far as the door's other side and then the first extra layer. From there, the tip of his blade had to melt the second extra layer by radiating heat.
But yet, if heat radiates at the tip, you'd expect it to do the same at the point of entry.
Now, it's totally true (and awesome) that he could withstand the heat that much (alongside the fact that there was minimal ejecta despite the amount of matter being destroyed at such a speed). Proof that Force was massively used at the atomic level, and therefore largely trumps any theory about technological reasons beind behind the odd behaviour of such weapons, when the Force-imbued users can clearly "cheat" a lot with them.
Also, going back Yoda's saber in the clone, and Mauls saber stab against Qui-Gon, it seems a disproportionate amount of effort would have to have gone into minimizing the amount of damage by keeping the blade steady in the wound, as apposed to there being at least some resistance helping along.
Only if the matter is really dense?
Such as door Qui-Gon wanted to get down. But not as much with people, which are mostly composed of water.
It's even more easily brushed away if we go with the idea that the really damaging section of the blade is extremely narrow.
In the end I think it makes sense too, considering sabers don't pass through forcefields, each other, or matter for that matter, they either cut it or stop, no passing through like you would expect from a normal beam or particle stream. And there has to be limits, like the Zillo scales or the barriers Mundi faced in "Landing at Point Rain," anything that is beyond or near the limit of the saber's output will either take longer to cut or bounce off.
Perhaps something closer to something you said at one point about there possibly being a force field of some sort surrounding a more volatile core: http://www.starfleetjedi.net/forum/view ... 308#p51308
Ooooh, thanks about that one, I had almost forgotten it.
Admitedly, the force field is a recurring idea, it's old, but the NDF sliver at the center, down blade's length, is more original.
But I guess we could still go with the super thin sliver of superhot plasma as well, and explain the lack of sparkles and ejecta being due to the force field maintaining all that in place.
But with the force field being perturbated by matter going through, wouldn't a large section of the blade being on the tip side lose its containment and release said plasma violently?

Darth Spock
Bridge Officer

Post by Darth Spock » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:57 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote: Honestly, although it sounds convenient, due to the way the blade really stays in the same place once inside the guy, I prefer to say a wizard did it, literally. :)
Well, the "wizard did it" by virtue of the force can help write off a lot of weird things that defy logic, but I took an extra peak, and the saber actually moves with the clone.

http://screencaps.us/200/5-starwars3/fu ... -11040.jpg
http://screencaps.us/200/5-starwars3/fu ... -11041.jpg
http://screencaps.us/200/5-starwars3/fu ... -11042.jpg
http://screencaps.us/200/5-starwars3/fu ... -11043.jpg
http://screencaps.us/200/5-starwars3/fu ... -11044.jpg
http://screencaps.us/200/5-starwars3/fu ... -11045.jpg

We can see the blade near the hilt, but not much, I'm still partial to the idea that the forward flange wedged in his armor, judging by this reference, it could work, and still leave room for a bit of the blade peaking out.
But it's even worse with that TCW episode wherein, if I get it properly, the sheer pressure of water didn't even manage to push into the the blade on its own. At which point you wonder when would matter finally fail under the pressure applied through a blade.
I didn't get the feeling that Solo had to make any particular effort when slicing through the Tauntaun and that's a very useful although unfortunately rare event, movie wise, because it's the only one which features a human using such a weapon.
True, I don't think it's difficult to cut 99.9% of anything it is likely to contact, but even the slightest resistance, like swinging a stick through water, could help account for some of the apparent lack of interaction.

Now, what I'll say doesn't count, but I think in Jedi Knight II (which as much more technologcally advanced than Dark Force II and thus allowed for more effects and accuracy), there was a level with rain and they had the blade vaporize the drops.

I didn't watch TCW but perhaps the Force was used to strengthen the blade and repel the water?
That was a cool game! I remember that effect too, and then in the 2003 Clone Wars, Kit Fisto fought under water, with bubbles constantly fizzing off his blade. My take here is that, by special preparation, or autonomous technology, the saber can probably be made to operate in a particular manner in a variety of environments, from outer space to under water. Hey, if the "primitive" Gungans can make force fields that keep water out of the airy portion of their underwater cities, fields which allow humanoids that are more than 60% water to pass through without chronic dry skin and dehydration problems, I'm sure the blades containment apparatus can adjust to prevent perpetual interaction with the ambient environment.
Then when we saw Qui-Gon melting his way through the door in TPM, it seemed to me he was doing a lot of twisting and manipulating with his saber to cause more damage, while the point of entry on his side was no where near as damaged.
This is easily explained because his weapon's blade didn't stick out of the other end. It only went as far as the door's other side and then the first extra layer. From there, the tip of his blade had to melt the second extra layer by radiating heat.

Eh, the blade gets more intense the further it is from the hilt? That's kinda weird. I had the idea that he was wiggling the blade to maximize interaction between the door and the tip, without making a big, hot, melty, goopy mess on his own side. Of course, I'd have thought it would have been more practical to have finished his first cut, force-pulled out that chunk, then cut out a new layer and pull that out, but, whatever, standard Jedi procedure I guess.

Only if the matter is really dense?
Such as door Qui-Gon wanted to get down. But not as much with people, which are mostly composed of water.
It's even more easily brushed away if we go with the idea that the really damaging section of the blade is extremely narrow.
I was thinking along the lines of first breaking the field that separates the blade from the ambient environment, then however long it takes the blade to vape/melt the material it's cutting. So, yes, a heavy door with a high melting temp would take longer to "burn" through. I'm pretty sure we've never seen seen a saber blade "skip" through a target, leaving parts uncut. Also, the actual "cutting" part of the blade does seem pretty thin. Most times we can't see with the fast action and glowing effects, but when Anakin sliced through the Tusken tent in AotC, he had to kick the hide (I assume it's hide) in afterwards. It looks to me like a thin enough sliver was taken out that it was still lodged in its hole. If the saber had cut a huge swath, and the piece had a lot of play around it, I'd have expected it to fall under it's own weight.
Ooooh, thanks about that one, I had almost forgotten it.
Admitedly, the force field is a recurring idea, it's old, but the NDF sliver at the center, down blade's length, is more original.
But I guess we could still go with the super thin sliver of superhot plasma as well, and explain the lack of sparkles and ejecta being due to the force field maintaining all that in place.
But with the force field being perturbated by matter going through, wouldn't a large section of the blade being on the tip side lose its containment and release said plasma violently?
Well, it could work with what we've been shown in the CW series. One episode on Onderon had a unidirectional forcefield, which allowed a would-be rescuer to enter an area, but blocked outward escape. Also the arc with Obi in disguise showed that matter could pass through some types of ray shields, albeit with potentially ill effects. Then of course, theres the theater shields, and droideka shields, which allow matter to pass through, but not volatile energy.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:57 pm

I'll answer the bigger piece up there later on (btw, by in the same place, I meant relative to the clone, that makes the stuff even more dumb).

Did I dream or they pushed E7 back to 2017 for some kind of anniversary, and moved JJA to Executive Producer?

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:08 pm

PS: the pictures in the first batch of links don't seem to work.