While skimming Star Wars Scripts...

For polite and reasoned discussion of Star Wars and/or Star Trek.
Lucky
Jedi Master

Re: While skimming Star Wars Scripts...

Post by Lucky » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:26 pm

Mr. Oragahn wrote: Parasite craft?
What do you mean?
Parasite craft, as in all the tiny vehicles that the ships totes around.
Fighters
Tanks
Shuttles
Landing craft
and all the related crap that you could get rid of if you got rid of some if not all of the parasite craft. It seems like roughly 50% of a Republic Attack Cruiser is allocated to being an airfield/troop transport, and this seems to be more or less the standard for Star Wars warships..
Mr. Oragahn wrote: I think the generator the base used was rather huge. And it was only confirmed powering the shield. We don't know for sure if the ion cannon didn't have its own super generator elsewhere, buried or whatever.
The fact that such a game changer isn't mounted on a Star Destroyer should provide great clues.
That generator you are talking about powered the entire rebel base, and may not have been powering the Ion cannon. Didn't the Ino Cannon continue firing even after the main generator was destroyed by the AT-AT.

The Ion Cannon on Hoth was only a few hundred meters tall going by the largest depiction which happens to be Legends level schematics. It just isn't very big when compared to most warships in Star Wars.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/V-150_Planet_Defender

The fact that such a game changer was mounted on the Malevolence, but not the Executor would imply they simply choose not to even though they could, but then they chose to greatly under gunned the Executor in every other way as well.
Mr. Oragahn wrote: It's been most disappointing, indeed. It was more like a space station posing as a ship.
All symbolism, no efficiency.

Mind you, it wasn't exactly that massively greater than SDs. A flotilla of large Rebel ships and auxiliary suicidal bomb ships (which we know were present and used) could soften the defenses of the Executor.
It's just a pity that we didn't see the ship being pounded. Apparently, B-wings alone could dramatically level the battlefield by finishing or weakning Star Destroyers.
There were no suicidal bomb ships in ROTJ. Every one was a normal warship, fighter, bomber, or technical.

B-wings are suppose to be able to take on like Star Destroyers on their own.

The Executor was holding up just fine until the A-Wing malfunctioned and crashed into the bridge tower.
Mr. Oragahn wrote: See underlined words.
What about the capture of the Tantive-IV? They seemed to use a tractor beam then.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:33 pm

359 wrote: It's for similar reasons that the Varon-T disruptor in Star Trek is illegal. They do horrible things to living beings.
Having not yet seen any episodes of Rebels I'll have to take your word, but I doubt it to be correct. A Varon-T is illegal in Star Trek do to the fact it causes a needlessly slow and painful death, but everything i've read about Star Wars type disruptors says they are absurdly powerful, and are meant to take down vehicles and even starships. This is like making anti-tank weapons illegal do to what they do to humans

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:38 pm

Lucky wrote:
Mr. Oragahn wrote: I think the generator the base used was rather huge. And it was only confirmed powering the shield. We don't know for sure if the ion cannon didn't have its own super generator elsewhere, buried or whatever.
The fact that such a game changer isn't mounted on a Star Destroyer should provide great clues.
That generator you are talking about powered the entire rebel base, and may not have been powering the Ion cannon. Didn't the Ino Cannon continue firing even after the main generator was destroyed by the AT-AT.
I don't know about the second, but for sure the HQ in Echo Base continued to work after the generator was destroyed.
Is there any evidence that it powered the entire base? It's near impossible to know unless specifically pointed out.

Mr. Oragahn wrote: It's been most disappointing, indeed. It was more like a space station posing as a ship.
All symbolism, no efficiency.

Mind you, it wasn't exactly that massively greater than SDs. A flotilla of large Rebel ships and auxiliary suicidal bomb ships (which we know were present and used) could soften the defenses of the Executor.
It's just a pity that we didn't see the ship being pounded. Apparently, B-wings alone could dramatically level the battlefield by finishing or weakning Star Destroyers.
There were no suicidal bomb ships in ROTJ. Every one was a normal warship, fighter, bomber, or technical.
I believe they're mentionned in the novelization. They're cargo ships stuffed with explosives.
The Executor was holding up just fine until the A-Wing malfunctioned and crashed into the bridge tower.
I guess so. In the book, they allude to the ship being like besieged, but in the movie, it doesn't appear to break a sweat and surely, if the bridge was exposed, you'd expect one single shot, amongst a rain of many perhaps, to have taken care of beheading the ship instead of some stray fighter.
Mr. Oragahn wrote: See underlined words.
What about the capture of the Tantive-IV? They seemed to use a tractor beam then.[/quote]

That's the point. Seemed. We can consider what happened to be the fruit of tractor beaming, but no character mentions the device being in use. That's what I meant by "confirmed". And then, when you combine all three movies, or perhaps even all six of them, I think ANH is the only one which shows the use of such devices.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:58 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote: I don't know about the second, but for sure the HQ in Echo Base continued to work after the generator was destroyed.
Is there any evidence that it powered the entire base? It's near impossible to know unless specifically pointed out.
VEERS: Yes, Lord Vader. I've reached the main power generator. The shield will be down in moments. You may start your landing.
Mr. Oragahn wrote: I believe they're mentionned in the novelization. They're cargo ships stuffed with explosives.
Mr. Oragahn wrote: I guess so. In the book, they allude to the ship being like besieged, but in the movie, it doesn't appear to break a sweat and surely, if the bridge was exposed, you'd expect one single shot, amongst a rain of many perhaps, to have taken care of beheading the ship instead of some stray fighter.
There are a lot of things that never made it into the movies for one reason or another.

Unless you count the Imperial and Rebel fighters that crash into larger ships, there are no suicide ships.
Mr. Oragahn wrote: What about the capture of the Tantive-IV? They seemed to use a tractor beam then.
That's the point. Seemed. We can consider what happened to be the fruit of tractor beaming, but no character mentions the device being in use. That's what I meant by "confirmed". And then, when you combine all three movies, or perhaps even all six of them, I think ANH is the only one which shows the use of such devices. [/quote]
The capture claw requires the Tantive IV to be carefully maneuvered into place, and they had to be sure the Rebels would not ram them, and we know Star Destroyers maneuver like beached whales. If the Star Destroyer did not use a tractor beam then how did it do it?