How Large is the United Federation of Planets?

For polite and reasoned discussion of Star Wars and/or Star Trek.
Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Re: How Large is the United Federation of Planets?

Post by Mike DiCenso » Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:48 am

Hard to say for sure. But this discussion from 6 years ago gives some idea.
-Mike

Darth Spock
Bridge Officer

Post by Darth Spock » Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:24 am

Lucky wrote:My point was actually that we don't know how large the Federation is.

The Bajoran Wormhole is at one extreme end of the Federation, and opposite Earth.
Indeed, it's a mess to be sure, and a lot of common assumptions may very well be false. Your comment here: http://www.starfleetjedi.net/forum/view ... 279#p51279 got me to thinking. While I agree with 2046 that its not solid proof of the Romulans bordering the Gamma quadrant, it may very well be correct. It would help explain something that bothered me regarding the Borg as well. The Romulans and Federation both seemed to encounter the Borg at about the same time, yet going forward, the Federation seemed to have the more contact with the Borg than any other major Alpha or Beta power. If the Romluans are positioned closer to the Beta/Delta border, it seems odd that the Borg would bypass them with this odd fixation on Earth. Rather the Romulans should be struggling with an ongoing battle with them.
It also makes more sense regarding the events of TNG S:5E:1 Redemption II, better explaining why and how the Federation played such a critical role in guarding the Klingon-Romulan border, if said border is comparatively small, and fairly close to Earth. It even fits with the events of Star Trek V: The Final Frontier, Nimbus III was likely positioned near a neutral territory of all three powers, and their trip "north" to the galactic core seemed unimpeded by established political boundaries.

Maybe the usual assumptions are correct, but it does go to show that our picture of the Star Trek "landscape" is very limited, and very much based on vague old assumptions that could have a significant effect on the sizes and shapes of territories, and the routes of travel that must be followed.
As a general rule: If you can read the post, it is as much to you are anyone else who can read it.

Like most sites of this sort SFJ has a PM function.
Super, thought as much, always nice to be sure. :)

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:05 pm

Darth Spock wrote: Indeed, it's a mess to be sure, and a lot of common assumptions may very well be false. Your comment here: viewtopic.php?p=51279#p51279 got me to thinking. While I agree with 2046 that its not solid proof of the Romulans bordering the Gamma quadrant, it may very well be correct. It would help explain something that bothered me regarding the Borg as well. The Romulans and Federation both seemed to encounter the Borg at about the same time, yet going forward, the Federation seemed to have the more contact with the Borg than any other major Alpha or Beta power. If the Romluans are positioned closer to the Beta/Delta border, it seems odd that the Borg would bypass them with this odd fixation on Earth. Rather the Romulans should be struggling with an ongoing battle with them.
It also makes more sense regarding the events of TNG S:5E:1 Redemption II, better explaining why and how the Federation played such a critical role in guarding the Klingon-Romulan border, if said border is comparatively small, and fairly close to Earth. It even fits with the events of Star Trek V: The Final Frontier, Nimbus III was likely positioned near a neutral territory of all three powers, and their trip "north" to the galactic core seemed unimpeded by established political boundaries.

Maybe the usual assumptions are correct, but it does go to show that our picture of the Star Trek "landscape" is very limited, and very much based on vague old assumptions that could have a significant effect on the sizes and shapes of territories, and the routes of travel that must be followed.
Borders can easily change over the years as both the Federation and Romulan Empire are the type to expand their borders through various means, and Romulan cloaking technology means they could have just been watching Kirk, but never made themselves known.