Star Trek Earth is far more advanced then Real World Earth

For polite and reasoned discussion of Star Wars and/or Star Trek.
Lucky
Jedi Master

Star Trek Earth is far more advanced then Real World Earth

Post by Lucky » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:41 am

There was obviously the Eugenics Wars in the late Twentieth and Twenty first Century in Star Trek that created Khan.
[color=#FFFF00]Millennium Gate[/color] wrote:
Franchise: Star Trek Series: Voyager Season: 5 Episode: 23 Title: 11:59 wrote:
NEELIX: Mister Paris and I have been exchanging a little cross-cultural trivia. He's become quite an expert on Talaxian geography. 

JANEWAY: All right, here's one for you. What can you tell me about the Millennium Gate? 

NEELIX: The Millennium Gate. Constructed in the 21st century in the United States of America. It was another one of the objects that could be seen from orbit. Er, three point two kilometres at the base, one kilometre in height, surface covered with highly reflective solar panels. A self-contained ecosystem. 

JANEWAY: It became a model for the first colony on Mars. Did you know that one of my ancestors built it? 

NEELIX: Really? 

JANEWAY: Not with a hammer and nails, but with words and a lot of courage. Shannon O'Donnel, one of the first woman astronauts. She was the driving force behind the project. 

NEELIX: That's something to be proud of. 

JANEWAY: We were always told stories about her at family gatherings. The first of a long line of Janeway explorers. 

NEELIX: Tell me more. I want something to stump Mister Paris with. 

JANEWAY: Where to begin? 

NEELIX: The Millennium Gate. How did she get involved with that? 

JANEWAY: Well, at that time, she was still in the space programme, but she'd also become something of an entrepreneur. I believe she was asked to join the project by the governor of Indiana. He wanted her expertise on recyclic life support systems. The way my aunt Martha, tells it they flew her in on a private aircraft.
(A model of a lunar lander is dangling from the rear view mirror. The woman driver starts a tape recorder.)

SHANNON: Five am, December 27th, 2000. I'm in the great state of Indiana, I think. I saw the world's largest ball of string this morning, and the world's largest beefsteak tomato this afternoon. It was the size of a Volkswagen. The string, not the tomato. At least Christmas is over. Oh, no. 

(Shannon also has a large cup of coffee to sip from. The car develops a fault as she is entering the Future Home of the Millennium Gate.)
JASON: The Millennium Gate. The world's first self-sustaining civic environment.
JANEWAY: It was built by one of my ancestors over three hundred years ago. I've been digging through the historical database, but a lot of the information from that era has been lost or damaged. I thought you might be able to help me reconstruct some of it.
SHANNON: I've learned a few details about the Millennium Gate. It's a self-sustaining city, an experimental biosphere. It's never been done before. 

HENRY: What's wrong with the biosphere we're living in now? 

SHANNON: Nothing. 

HENRY: Exactly. 

SHANNON: But this project will help scientists learn more about our environment. Possibly even recreate it on other worlds. 

HENRY: Other worlds? Don't we have enough problems on the one we're on? 

SHANNON: Yeah. Which is why I'd like to get the hell off it one day.
SHANNON: December 31st, 2000. Eleven fifteen pm. I've got ninety five miles of Interstate before I have to decide whether I head east or south, but those ninety five miles won't be uneventful. My guidebook tells me I'm not too far from Leonardo da Vinci's Last Supper, recreated entirely in corn.  

(She passes the sign saying You are now leaving Portage Creek. Drive safely.)

SHANNON: The last few days have been memorable, to say the least. I met Henry Janeway. Interesting man. Liked to talk. Unfortunately, he doesn't listen to anybody but himself. He gave me a place to stay, though. And we had dinner. In Paris, no less. He has a son. Good kid. Bright, like his father.

(She stops her tape recorder and bites into a chocolate chip cookie. And returns to the Future Home of the Millennium Gate.)
NEELIX: Shannon O'Donnel Janeway, circa 2050. We did a little more research. This photograph was taken in a small park near Portage Creek, thirty eight years after the dedication of the Millennium Gate. I thought it would look nice in your ready room, on the shelf next to your desk.
What else is there?

Cocytus
Jedi Knight

Re: Star Trek Earth is far more advanced then Real World Ear

Post by Cocytus » Tue May 05, 2015 2:34 am

The Eugenics Wars absolutely. The knowledge of genetics required to engineer physical and metal supermen puts them beyond our current understanding. We can at least make animals glow in the dark.

The Millenium Gate is a bit of an odd thing to focus on, frankly. Heightwise, it isn't such a stretch. According to your quotes, with the 2050 picture being 38 years after dedication, the MG was opened in 2012. Here on earth, the 828-meter Burj Khalifa opened in 2010, with the 1000-meter Kingdom Tower currently under construction. Sizewise, it looks quite hefty, with a square footage probably well into the ten million range, depending on how the structural and core elements are laid out.

I know that skyscrapers are often seen as indicators of a society's advancement, but constructing them is often more a question of political and financial will than technology, (at least until you start getting into really colossal stuff like the X-seed) not least because buildings that size are seldom if ever fully rented. Something that huge is always partially, if not entirely speculative, and getting it done in an urban environment would be an unbelievable political row. I can just imagine the NIMBY's flying into apoplectic, spittle-flicking paroxysms. But if the government were willing to throw tens of billions of dollars at it without any requirement for timely ROI, I don't really see any architectural reason it couldn't be done right now. It would simply be a huge and costly white elephant.

It's self-sufficiency is another matter altogether, but physically building something of those dimensions isn't a big stretch.

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Tue May 05, 2015 4:12 am

The timeline is distinct from ours. See "Chronowerx", et al.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Fri May 08, 2015 6:17 am

2046 wrote: The timeline is distinct from ours. See "Chronowerx", et al.
I realize that, but I'm trying to figure how distinct on a technological level.
Franchise: Star Trek Series: Voyager Season: 3 Episode: 8/9 Title: Future's End wrote:
BRAXTON: Starling. Henry Starling, CEO Chronowerx Industries. Philanthropist, entrepreneur, outstanding citizen. Pa! Before I crashed in 1967 I made an emergency beam out, but he found my ship before I did in some remote mountain range. I've been following this corrupt little man ever since, tracking his movements. He's become too powerful. I can't get close to him. Of course, you can't accomplish anything in this wretched century. Nobody here listens. Do you know that once they put me in a mental institution and filled me with primitive pharmaceuticals.
JANEWAY: Incredible. Starling's computer designs were inspired by technology from the timeship. He introduced the very first isograted circuit in 1969, two years after Braxton's ship crash-landed. 

CHAKOTAY: Any every few years there's been an equally revolutionary advance in computers, all from Chronowerx Industries, all based on Starling's crude understanding of twenty ninth century technology. 

JANEWAY: Are you thinking what I'm thinking, Chakotay? 

CHAKOTAY: I wish I weren't. 

JANEWAY: The computer age of the late twentieth century 

CHAKOTAY: Shouldn't have happened. 

JANEWAY: But it did, and it's part a of our history. All because of that timeship. Look at this. Gantry, power conduits, telemetry consoles. This looks like a design for a launching bay.
Franchise: Star Trek Series: The Original Series Season: 1 Episode: 21 Title: Tomorrow is Yesterday wrote:
MAN [OC]: This is the five thirty news summary. Cape Kennedy. The first manned Moon shot is scheduled for Wednesday, six am Eastern Standard Time. All three astronauts who are to make this historic 

(Kirk signals it cut off) 

KIRK: Manned Moon shot? That was in the late 1960s. 

SPOCK: Apparently, Captain, so are we.
SPOCK: We cannot return him to Earth, Captain. He already knows too much about us and is learning more. I do not specifically refer to Captain Christopher, but suppose an unscrupulous man were to gain certain knowledge of man's future? Such a man could manipulate key industries, stocks, and even nations. and in so doing, change what must be. And if it is changed, Captain, you and I and all that we know might not even exist.
It's rather interesting that the story lines in Voyager's Future's End and The Original Series' Tomorrow is Yesterday appear to be subtly linked by Chronowerx, and show a rather long predestined paradox.

It seems like there was an earlier event in WWII That I vaguely recall.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Fri May 08, 2015 6:20 am

Cocytus wrote: The Millenium Gate is a bit of an odd thing to focus on, frankly. Heightwise, it isn't such a stretch. According to your quotes, with the 2050 picture being 38 years after dedication, the MG was opened in 2012. Here on earth, the 828-meter Burj Khalifa opened in 2010, with the 1000-meter Kingdom Tower currently under construction. Sizewise, it looks quite hefty, with a square footage probably well into the ten million range, depending on how the structural and core elements are laid out.

I know that skyscrapers are often seen as indicators of a society's advancement, but constructing them is often more a question of political and financial will than technology, (at least until you start getting into really colossal stuff like the X-seed) not least because buildings that size are seldom if ever fully rented. Something that huge is always partially, if not entirely speculative, and getting it done in an urban environment would be an unbelievable political row. I can just imagine the NIMBY's flying into apoplectic, spittle-flicking paroxysms. But if the government were willing to throw tens of billions of dollars at it without any requirement for timely ROI, I don't really see any architectural reason it couldn't be done right now. It would simply be a huge and costly white elephant.

It's self-sufficiency is another matter altogether, but physically building something of those dimensions isn't a big stretch.
As you stated in the last line, the Millennium Gate is not just a large building, but It is basically a Bioshpere 2 that worked, and that lots of humans could live in, and a second was apparently built on Mars