TCW Story Reels

For polite and reasoned discussion of Star Wars and/or Star Trek.
Khas
Starship Captain

Re: TCW Story Reels

Post by Khas » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:33 am

Well, not ALL of the EU got included. Palpatine's first name got changed to "Sheev".

SpacePaladin
Padawan

Post by SpacePaladin » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:14 pm

2046 wrote:Just finished "Tarkin". Ugh. The EU is alive and well, but in any case there was specific reference to the kyber crystal assembly.
The cartoons were almost deliberate in not calling the Jedi Cruisers Star Destroyers. I wonder if the inclusion of the Venator-class Star Destroyer is a return to the Legends terminology, a reference to a similarly named but different ship, or if the class was retroactively declared a Star Destroyer after the Clone Wars due to shifting naval terminologies.

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:38 pm

That is a good point. I could live with that in regards to the Venator, but of course they won't do it that way. Luceno or similar will write something set during the Clone Wars and call it that.

Considering how little there is and how easy it would be to maintain, the Disney continuity is a really schismatic mess right now.

Jedi Knight

Post by 359 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:07 pm

In the recent Rebels Recon video on starwars.com a question is asked regarding the appearance of a kyber crystal in REB: "Breaking Ranks" and what the Empire is doing with these crystals. To answer the question they ask a member of the story group, Pablo Hidalgo. His response was that the empire was experimenting with taking eight of them, arranging them in a ring, and putting them on a giant spaceship... In short, they are composing the superlaser.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8_PCwya0do#t=252

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:54 pm

I'm already hearing Brian Young peddling hard. Her might lose a few pounds in the process.

SpacePaladin
Padawan

Post by SpacePaladin » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:49 pm

I don't know. The fact that he uses the term "focusing" when talking about the crystals as opposed to "powering" means that they'll probably claim that while the Kyber Crystals are necessary to blow up planets, the Battle Station is still needed to produce the energy first, so it's producing all the energy required for the planet wrecking gun.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:49 pm

We know they considerably enhance the overall yield of, what? Beams that go through them. The dots are already joined. All it takes is taking a few steps back and seeing what it looks like now.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:36 am

SpacePaladin wrote: The cartoons were almost deliberate in not calling the Jedi Cruisers Star Destroyers. I wonder if the inclusion of the Venator-class Star Destroyer is a return to the Legends terminology, a reference to a similarly named but different ship, or if the class was retroactively declared a Star Destroyer after the Clone Wars due to shifting naval terminologies.
Take this as you will, but it looks to me like nothing can over rule the movies and Clone Wars cartoon by Disney's policy.
http://www.starwars.com/news/the-legendary-star-wars-expanded-universe-turns-a-new-page wrote: While Lucasfilm always strived to keep the stories created for the EU consistent with our film and television content as well as internally consistent, Lucas always made it clear that he was not beholden to the EU. He set the films he created as the canon. This includes the six Star Wars episodes, and the many hours of content he developed and produced in Star Wars: The Clone Wars. These stories are the immovable objects of Star Wars history, the characters and events to which all other tales must align.
I will however say that I have no personal problem with a ship class having a name other then its role because episode 4, 5, and 6 showed us at least three different wedge shaped ships that are referred to as Imperial Star Destroyers.
SpacePaladin wrote: I don't know. The fact that he uses the term "focusing" when talking about the crystals as opposed to "powering" means that they'll probably claim that while the Kyber Crystals are necessary to blow up planets, the Battle Station is still needed to produce the energy first, so it's producing all the energy required for the planet wrecking gun.
1) Magical go away beams are magical go away beams, and every focused blast we see involving Kyber Crystals has seemingly turned into a magical go away beam.

2) If you claim the Kyber Crystal is just a focus then you are stating that the beam was originally a magical go away beam, but that makes even the input unquantifiable.

3) The story reels this thread is about state the Kyber Crystals do more then just focus/refract the beam. i posted the quotes in fact.

SpacePaladin
Padawan

Post by SpacePaladin » Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:06 pm

Lucky wrote:
SpacePaladin wrote: I don't know. The fact that he uses the term "focusing" when talking about the crystals as opposed to "powering" means that they'll probably claim that while the Kyber Crystals are necessary to blow up planets, the Battle Station is still needed to produce the energy first, so it's producing all the energy required for the planet wrecking gun.
1) Magical go away beams are magical go away beams, and every focused blast we see involving Kyber Crystals has seemingly turned into a magical go away beam.

2) If you claim the Kyber Crystal is just a focus then you are stating that the beam was originally a magical go away beam, but that makes even the input unquantifiable.

3) The story reels this thread is about state the Kyber Crystals do more then just focus/refract the beam. i posted the quotes in fact.
I'm not claiming that's not what's happening, only that that's what they'll claim. Furthermore, they'll likely claim that what we see in the TCW Story Reels don't count, or at least, the visuals won't count (the latter is a safer statement, and IIRC, I don't think they mentioned anyone being disappeared, just the amplification statement).

But the point of having the crystal being a focus as opposed to a source is that you still need 10^38 joules to blow up a planet, you just pump it into a bunch of crystals so you can aim it. That's still a huge amount of energy that's being generated. At least, that's what I expect them to claim.

theta_pinch
Bridge Officer

Post by theta_pinch » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:00 pm

Lucky wrote:
SpacePaladin wrote: The cartoons were almost deliberate in not calling the Jedi Cruisers Star Destroyers. I wonder if the inclusion of the Venator-class Star Destroyer is a return to the Legends terminology, a reference to a similarly named but different ship, or if the class was retroactively declared a Star Destroyer after the Clone Wars due to shifting naval terminologies.
Take this as you will, but it looks to me like nothing can over rule the movies and Clone Wars cartoon by Disney's policy.
http://www.starwars.com/news/the-legendary-star-wars-expanded-universe-turns-a-new-page wrote: While Lucasfilm always strived to keep the stories created for the EU consistent with our film and television content as well as internally consistent, Lucas always made it clear that he was not beholden to the EU. He set the films he created as the canon. This includes the six Star Wars episodes, and the many hours of content he developed and produced in Star Wars: The Clone Wars. These stories are the immovable objects of Star Wars history, the characters and events to which all other tales must align.
I will however say that I have no personal problem with a ship class having a name other then its role because episode 4, 5, and 6 showed us at least three different wedge shaped ships that are referred to as Imperial Star Destroyers.

Actually after taking another look at the reel it turned out that the bolts hitting the crystal already disintegrate things. The beams coming from the crystal produce a different affect though.

Darth Spock
Bridge Officer

Post by Darth Spock » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:33 am

SpacePaladin wrote:
2046 wrote:Just finished "Tarkin". Ugh. The EU is alive and well, but in any case there was specific reference to the kyber crystal assembly.
The cartoons were almost deliberate in not calling the Jedi Cruisers Star Destroyers. I wonder if the inclusion of the Venator-class Star Destroyer is a return to the Legends terminology, a reference to a similarly named but different ship, or if the class was retroactively declared a Star Destroyer after the Clone Wars due to shifting naval terminologies.
If any of the old EU makes it through, I'd just as soon see the old Victory class Star Destroyers referenced as a bridge design between the old Venators and the Imperial Class Star Destroyers. I don't know why, but I like that ship...
theta_pinch wrote: Actually after taking another look at the reel it turned out that the bolts hitting the crystal already disintegrate things. The beams coming from the crystal produce a different affect though.
Really? where about in the video was this? To be honest, I've kind of wanted to see a "disintegrater" in action ever since Vader told Fett not to do it in ESB, but the kyber crystal is not what I had in mind...

theta_pinch
Bridge Officer

Post by theta_pinch » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:24 pm

Darth Spock wrote:
SpacePaladin wrote:
If any of the old EU makes it through, I'd just as soon see the old Victory class Star Destroyers referenced as a bridge design between the old Venators and the Imperial Class Star Destroyers. I don't know why, but I like that ship...
theta_pinch wrote: Actually after taking another look at the reel it turned out that the bolts hitting the crystal already disintegrate things. The beams coming from the crystal produce a different affect though.
Really? where about in the video was this? To be honest, I've kind of wanted to see a "disintegrater" in action ever since Vader told Fett not to do it in ESB, but the kyber crystal is not what I had in mind...
It was in crystal crisis when the aliens were chasing Anakin and Obi-wan, between the first hit on the crystal and about 1 minute before.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:15 am

The Death Star Superlasers have always had a magic make matter disappear aspect to them.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:20 am

SpacePaladin wrote: I'm not claiming that's not what's happening, only that that's what they'll claim. Furthermore, they'll likely claim that what we see in the TCW Story Reels don't count, or at least, the visuals won't count (the latter is a safer statement, and IIRC, I don't think they mentioned anyone being disappeared, just the amplification statement).
Except the Story Reels even as unfinished as they were left parts of droids behind when blasters and lightsabers were used, but if a Kyber Crystal beam struck no matter the size things just disappeared. At the very least the things disappearing means that there were nonstandard effects happening when the beams struck.

SpacePaladin wrote: But the point of having the crystal being a focus as opposed to a source is that you still need 10^38 joules to blow up a planet, you just pump it into a bunch of crystals so you can aim it. That's still a huge amount of energy that's being generated. At least, that's what I expect them to claim.
1) The Kyber Crystals have a much higher output then input
Franchise: Star Wars Series: The Clone Wars Story reel Episode: 4 Title: The Big Bang wrote: Obi-Wan: The crystal isn't just refracting energy, it's intensifying the charge.

Anakin: What happens if it gets hit by something bigger then a blaster?

Obi-Wan: I'm afraid we're about to find out.
And, despite what is often stated, it is possible for crystals to have greater then 100% efficiencies

2) Alderaan stayed in its orbit. It didn't blow up in a mundane fashion.
http://www.starwars.com/databank/alderaan wrote: Despite such discretion, the Empire knew it to be a haven of Rebel activity, and Grand Moff Tarkin targeted the beautiful world for reprisal as soon as the Death Star was operational. The massive primary weapon of the battle station obliterated Alderaan, leaving only a lifeless asteroid field behind.
The asteroid field the Falcon found in Episode 4 was Alderaan still in its orbit, and this means that Alderaan was not destroyed in a conventional manner.

Jedi Knight

Post by 359 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:08 am

For clarification, that does not violate conservation of energy as a Kyber crystal seems to. The greater than 100% efficiency is a reference frame issue. Simply looking at electrical input to photo output, yes it does have >100%, however, that extra energy is absorbed in the form of heat. So the extra light is generated by cooling the local environment as well as dissipating electrical potential.

Presumably a similar effect occurs with Kyber crystals. They appear to violate the laws of thermodynamics, but that's just because we aren't factoring in some energy source they draw from.