Star Trek: Shields

For polite and reasoned discussion of Star Wars and/or Star Trek.
Lucky
Jedi Master

Star Trek: Shields

Post by Lucky » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:03 am

STAR TREK
Franchise: Star Trek Series: The Next Generation Season: 3 Episode: 26 Title: The Best of Both Worlds Part 1 wrote: SHELBY: Mister La Forge has a plan to modulate shield nutation. Hopefully, that'll hold them off for awhile. 

LAFORGE: At the same time, we'll be retuning phasers to higher EM base emitting frequencies to try to disrupt their subspace field.
Shields appear to only effect incoming things.

Franchise: Star Trek Series: The Next Generation Season: 5 Episode: 1 Title: Redemption Part 2 wrote: KURN: Maintain course. Status of warp engines? Warp engines at fifty percent. KURN: Status of shields? 

WORF: Aft shields buckling. 

KURN: Transfer auxiliary power to shields! 

WORF: Aft shields are gone! We cannot win. We must withdraw. 

KURN: Keep your place! New course. Three zero seven mark two seven five. 

HELM: But sir, that takes us dangerously close to the 

KURN: GhoS! 

WORF: We are entering the star's corona. We will reach the photosphere in thirty seconds. 

KURN: Stand by to enter warp on my command. Set course two five zero mark zero one five. 

WORF: Shields failing. Outer hull temperature exceeding design limit. Captain! 

KURN: Maintain course. 

WORF: They're closing on us! 

KURN: Stand by. DaH!
Even with failing shields, diving into a normal star is relatively safe.

Franchise: Star Trek Series: The Next Generation Season: 6 Episode: 22 Title: Suspicions wrote: CRUSHER: That's why I went to the Altine Conference. I'd heard about a new subspace technology developed by a Ferengi, a Doctor Reyga. 

GUINAN: A Ferengi scientist. Hmm. 

CRUSHER: His invention was based on metaphasic fields, but his methodology was completely unorthodox.
Some forms of shielding use subspace technology, but this is unusual.

Franchise: Star Trek Series: The Next Generation Season: 7 Episode: 9 Title: Force of Nature wrote: PICARD: What's the origin of this debris field? 

DATA: Unknown, sir. It does not appear in any Federation charts of the Corridor. 

PICARD: Could it be what's left of the Fleming? 

DATA: It is a possibility. The debris consists primarily of duranium and polycomposite fragments which suggest a ship. Furthermore, the field contains sufficient mass to account for the Fleming. 

PICARD: All right, let's take a closer look. Perhaps we can find something that will give us a more positive identification. Helm, take us through the debris field, ahead slow. 

DATA: Captain, I am picking up a small metallic object, approximately three point five metres in diameter. 

RIKER: Could be a ship's log recorder, or a probe casing. 

DATA: I do not believe so. It is emitting an unusual signal. Captain, it is beginning to generate a verteron field. 

PICARD: Shields up! Full reverse. Now! 
(a sound, then the lights dim) 

PICARD: Damage report. 

WORF: Warp engines are offline. Shields are down. All subspace systems are inoperative. 

RIKER: Just like the Ferengi ship. 

DATA: Unidentified ship heading toward us. Two life forms are aboard. 

PICARD: On screen. 

DATA: Captain, they are initiating their transporter system. 

PICARD: Can we get more power to the shields? 

WORF: No, sir. 

RIKER: All decks, security alert. 

DATA: Captain, we are being boarded. 

LAFORGE [OC]: La Forge to Bridge.
Again, shields being subspace systems appears to be rare.

Franchise:Star Trek Series: Movie Title: Generations wrote: SHIELD STATUS: PRIMARY SYS ACTIVE
GRAVITON FIELD OUTPUT: 625 MCH
SHIELD MODULATION: 257.4 MHz
Federation shields are composed of gravity.

STARTREK.COM
http://www.startrek.com/database_article/deflectors wrote: Manipulatable energy forcefield or shield that can be generated around space vessels and other facilities for protection from natural hazards and enemy weaponry.

Transporters are generally not useable when deflector shield are in place.
http://www.startrek.com/database_article/metaphasic-shield wrote: New type of shield invented by the Ferengi scientist Dr. Reyga in 2369. A metaphasic shield is a series of overlapping low-level subspace fields, which causes the shielded object to partially exist within subspace itself. The first test of the new shielding was in 2369 when a shuttlecraft from the U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701-D was outfitted with the shield and piloted into the corona of a nearby star. The test was apparently unsuccessful, but Dr. Beverly Crusher proved that the test had been sabotaged by the pilot as part of a plan to discredit Dr. Reyga and steal the shielding technology. A second test proved that the new shields did function correctly.
http://www.startrek.com/database_article/shield-inverters wrote: Part of the shield array systems on Federation starships. In 2368, the U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701-D used its shield inverters as part of a plan to remove ionized plasma from the atmosphere of planet Penthara IV.
http://www.startrek.com/database_article/shield-nutation wrote: A way varying the shield frequency phase rotation. In 2366, shield nutation was used to increase The U.S.S. Enterprises shield effectiveness against the Borg. This only temporarily worked though as the Borg ships were able to overcome the effects in just a few short minutes.
http://www.startrek.com/database_article/shields wrote: Forcefields that protect space vessels from damage by natural hazard or enemy attack. Synonyms include deflectors, deflector shields, or screens. Transporters cannot operate through raised shields.

Picard
Starship Captain

Re: Star Trek: Shields

Post by Picard » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:16 pm

Not sure about how correct math there is, but...
http://picard578.hostoi.com/startrek-vs ... ields.html

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:38 am

Picard wrote: Not sure about how correct math there is, but...
http://picard578.hostoi.com/startrek-vs ... ields.html
My intent was to compile information on the underling physics of Star Trek shields, and the quotes above show a number of things wrong with that page.

I'm not sure how we are suppose get any thing from "Relics". There are too many variables at work.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:25 am

Franchise: Star Trek Series: The Original Series Season: 1 Episode: 21 Title: Tomorrow is Yesterday wrote: SPOCK: We've achieved a stable orbit out of Earth's atmosphere. Our deflectors are operative, enough to prevent our being picked up again as a UFO. And Mister Scott wishes to speak to you about the engines.
Franchise: Star Trek Series: The Next Generation Season: 2 Episode: 4 Title: The Outrageous Okona wrote: DATA: Sensors show it to be an interplanetary vessel, sir. Class seven, crew complement twenty six. 

WORF: Still no response. Captain, they are now locking lasers on us. 

RIKER: Lasers? 

WORF: Yes, sir. 

PICARD: Lasers can't even penetrate our navigation shields. Don't they know that? 

RIKER: Regulations so call for a Yellow Alert. 

PICARD: A very old regulation. Well, make it so, Number One. And reduce speed. Drop main shields as well. 

RIKER: May I ask why, sir? 

PICARD: In case we decide to surrender to them, Number One.
Franchise: Star Trek Series: The Next Generation Season: 5 Episode: 20 Title: Cost of Living wrote: DATA: Sir, the core is composed of nitrium and chrondite. It is unlikely another photon torpedo will be of any effect. 

PICARD: Mister Worf, prepare a tractor beam. 

WORF: Aye, sir. 

DATA: Thirty seconds to impact. 

WORF: Captain, I am unable to get a positive lock with the tractor beam. There is magnetic field interference emanating from the core materials. 

PICARD: Activate a deflector dish. If we project a particle beam, we may be able to produce a disruptive nuclear effect within the core. 

WORF: Aye, sir. 

DATA: Impact in seventeen seconds. 

WORF: Particle beam activated. The target has been destroyed, Captain. 

DATA: The remaining debris is of no threat to the planet, sir. 

PICARD: Well done, everyone . Ensign, put us back on course for the Moselina system. Warp four as soon as we're clear of the debris field. 

ENSIGN: Aye, sir.
Franchise: Star Trek Series: Voyager Season: 3 Episode: 8 Title: Future's End wrote: JANEWAY: Maintain a high orbit. And modulate the shields to scatter their radar. We don't want to alarm the natives. 

CHAKOTAY: What about the time ship? Is it here too? 

TUVOK: There is no sign of the vessel in orbit. Scanning the planet surface. I am picking up low frequency subspace readings emanating from the northern hemisphere. 

CHAKOTAY: Subspace technology shouldn't exist for another hundred years or so.
Franchise: Star Trek Series: Voyager Season: 3 Episode: 9 Title: Future's End wrote: TORRES: Interferometric dispersion is online. That should take care of any radar detection. And I've configured the shields to disguise our visual profile. Unless somebody gets right on top of us, we should look like a small twentieth century aircraft.
Franchise: Star Trek Series: Voyager Season: 3 Episode: 26 Title: Scorpion wrote: CHAKOTAY: Tuvok. Stand by to transport the Borg directly from the Cargo Bay. After they're on the surface, have security run a sweep of 

KIM: I'm reading power fluctuations in the deflector array.

CHAKOTAY: Cause?

KIM: It looks like the Borg have accessed deflector control. They're trying to realign the emitters.

CHAKOTAY: Shut them out.

KIM: They've bypassed security protocols.

(A green beam is emitted from the deflector dish.) 

TORRES: We're emitting a resonant gravitation beam. It's creating another singularity.

CHAKOTAY: Reverse course.

PARIS: We're fighting intense gravimetric distortion. I can't break free. 

CHAKOTAY: Bridge to Cargo Bay Two. Stop what you're doing, or I'll depressurise that deck and blow you out into space. This is your final warning. Do it!
Fine manipulation of electromagnetic radiation, it is not wonder L.A.S.E.R. are laughed at.