An EU collection of planetary bombardments

For polite and reasoned discussion of Star Wars and/or Star Trek.
Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:36 pm

watchdog wrote: Also, Mr. Oragahn the 1.95 gt figure that MW came up with probably started with New York as a base but then grew it up to a huge size because MW apparently thinks all large cities in star wars are like Coruscant and cover whole chunks of continents.
Yeah, funny, considering that even the novelizations make it clear that the overurbanisation of Coruscant is an oddity in that galaxy.

That said, the extract from the book is about the daily power consumption of a city, right?

Well, even with the whole state of New York, we're not even remotely approaching a minute fraction of the number he assumed for a city.

As for the shield peak thingy, I'd like to refine the concept. Obviously, it largely relies on the idea that the shields work on the sink hole model.
So even if the shield can dissipate more than 16 TT/s, there's some kind of huge buffer that can be charged up with more teratons than that. Say 100 TT. As long as no other ship fires, the buffer will progressively discharge.

The shields will burn if the buffer overloads.

That said, a single exemple from the EU where we would have a shield that gets recharged, even after hitting 0, would completely shoot that sink hole model, simply because the capacitor couldn't logically handle more energy that what it can on the paper.

But the more interesting part in that is the wank it supports and how heavily inspired no-limit fallacy it is.

See, you have your shield which can dissipate say 16 TT/s. There's an enemy ship firing at you.
Your enemy is giving all he has, but can only deliver 15 TT/s at best, by firing all cannons.
After an annoying battle where your enemy didn't even manage to fill up the shield's buffer (sink hole model), another enemy ship of the same class as the precedent immediately enters the system the nanosecond after the first one gets destroyed, and immediately starts firing.
Again, it fails to deliver more than 15 TT/s. And in the end, it gets destroyed.
Another one instantly enters the system and fires. Again, 15 TT/s.

The deal here is that this little comedy could go on for a while.

Yet, it's completely stupid. 15 TT/s, based on the former power figure I got, means that you have a ship which can fire 3 quad cannons at the same time, and still never pose a menace to a republic cruiser.
Let's say that it's just that. A ship only mounted with three quad cannons, which can all be pointed at an unique target at the same time.

Yet, despite a firepower that is impressive, in the end, none of the ships will ever manage to even remotely "dent" the shields of the republic cruiser.

The only limit being the ship's fuel or the captain's patience for stupid games.

Considering that the ICS rates the republic cruiser's main reactor as having a peak output of 2 e23 watts, while the shield has a peak radiation of only 7 e22 watts, this could go on for quite some time.

Yet, do we really get that in Star Wars? Even the EU? Could a capital ship chain less powerful capital vessels for hours, one by one, without never noticing a fluctuation in shields?

watchdog
Jedi Knight

Post by watchdog » Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:03 am

Praeothmin wrote:
Watchdog wrote:it's based on the movies so its canon no more thinking will be allowed.
While in actuality, it is based off of production designs, unfinished special effects shots, and a half-completed movie.
Curtis saxton himself says so in an interview posted on TF.net...
Yeah, I can recall someone claiming that he used the comic book versions of the movies as well. Thats highly unlikely as the comics dont show anything near what he claims, he simply made it all up from whole cloth.
Mr. Oragahn I remember back at Space Battles, IXjac once suggested that he thought the original idea for the shields were that instead of blocking all energy and steadily getting weaker, they would constantly block only a set amount of energy and let anything over that bleed through. It's an old thread and I probably have a printout somewhere, he always had some of the best theories. He thought that it became like the Star Trek shields due to the EU writers. Also I think MW usually uses the cities on the planet Nar Shadda (I think) as examples of large cities, but dont quote me on that, I'm not sure.

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:22 am

Game mechanics-wise, they work between those two these days. Here's how it works in SWRPG.

Let's say you have a 20 point shield. It blocks all attacks that deal less than 20 damage.

If an attack deals more than 20 damage, it blocks 20 of it, and the remainder goes through. You now, however, have a 15 point shield, until you spent three swift actions regenerating your shield.

watchdog
Jedi Knight

Post by watchdog » Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:23 am

Good news, I think I have finally found the source of the 200gt turbolasers;

From the star wars ANH manga as the Millenium Falcon is blasting away from Tatooine. You think thats bad, check out the death star destroying Alderaan;

http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/5752 ... 046sm5.jpg
http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/7893 ... 047fs8.jpg
http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/5849 ... 048mh2.jpg
http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/7804 ... 051di1.jpg

This is no doubt what warsies see when they close their eyes at night.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:49 pm

Watchdog wrote:This is no doubt what warsies see when they close their eyes at night.
Nope, because the Manga clearly forgot to add the planetary shield... :)

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:17 pm

They fire kamehamehas now?

I'm feeling naughty. It does look cool, but it's completely just *out there* you know.

The sheer waste of energy due to gun flare is just staggering. :)

It is true that in the concept, and not in the magnitudes displayed, the beam is clearly shown hitting the planet and starting to destroy it, not hitting a shield that keeps the beam away.

Is it possible to see what happens next?

To use that Poe claim I've seen used against the S8472 beam, in the last picture, we have no proof that the whole planet goes boom.
Actually, it pretty much fits with the idea that as long as the beam was hitting the planet, it completely scorched the facing hemisphere, which generated the first explosion.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:34 pm

Ah, I'am glad that Watchdog was able to find the SW ANH manga version of Alderann's destruction by the Death Star. I had already mentioned it in another thread a long time ago as being an example of what a DET superlaser effect on the planet should look like. It also seems to me that the DS1 SL beam in the manga continues to fire until Alderaan explodes. What's also pretty cool in the manga is that we get to see it in part from the Alderaanian peoples' point of view, including the very inital impact on the surface through clouds!

Another thing that the manga showed, that the movie never did was hundreds of ISDs flying in formation with the DS1. If the movie had done that, I might just begin to believe in the millions of Imperial warships the pro-Warsies claim the Galactic Empire has.
-Mike

watchdog
Jedi Knight

Post by watchdog » Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:50 am

By your command;

Kazeite
Bridge Officer

Post by Kazeite » Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:08 am

Ah, I've forgotten how awesome Star Wars mangas are :)

That Death Star sure is huge, isn't it?

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:45 am

Thanks, Watchdog. That's the one that I'am talking about. There is another, however it has significantly fewer ISDs flying in formation with the Death Star.
-Mike
Last edited by Mike DiCenso on Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:50 am

"Will Darth Vader rape the sexilicious cuffed Leia?

To Be Continued..."

watchdog
Jedi Knight

Post by watchdog » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:05 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote:"Will Darth Vader rape the sexilicious cuffed Leia?

To Be Continued..."
Not likely, he has no tentacles :D
Mike DiCenso wrote:"Thanks, Watchdog. That's the one that I'am talking about. There is another, however it has significantly fewer ISDs flying in formation with the Death Star.
-Mike"
You mean this;