possibReasons why UFP trooper not us GPMC Siege of AR-558

For polite and reasoned discussion of Star Wars and/or Star Trek.
Jasonb
Jedi Knight

possibReasons why UFP trooper not us GPMC Siege of AR-558

Post by Jasonb » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:58 am

Facts Jem harder good able see well and have good hearing. Starfleet well see GPMC might not good as Star War fan like think. Jem Harder might well able to simple snipe them out. Other possible problem power the point they hand over battery pack to individual UFP soldiers while in practice no reason could set wide angle fire and release enough power kill basic denied Jem Harder enter other issue of power. Good number UFP soldier phaser rifle ran out steam during the battle itself. Good number right hand to hand combat to halt the Jem Harder trooper other kept fire phase rifle. It possible few UFP soldier recharge phaser rifle finish of the rest Jem Harder troop some hand to or keep bay phaser rifle last stand.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Re: possibReasons why UFP trooper not us GPMC Siege of AR-

Post by Lucky » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:19 am

Jasonb wrote: Facts Jem harder good able see well and have good hearing. Starfleet well see GPMC might not good as Star War fan like think. Jem Harder might well able to simple snipe them out. Other possible problem power the point they hand over battery pack to individual UFP soldiers while in practice no reason could set wide angle fire and release enough power kill basic denied Jem Harder enter other issue of power. Good number UFP soldier phaser rifle ran out steam during the battle itself. Good number right hand to hand combat to halt the Jem Harder trooper other kept fire phase rifle. It possible few UFP soldier recharge phaser rifle finish of the rest Jem Harder troop some hand to or keep bay phaser rifle last stand.
What do the letters GPMC stand for?

Jasonb
Jedi Knight

Post by Jasonb » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:15 am

GPMC is basic heavy automatic weapon. Like machine gun or something like fire longer amount ammo into area at once take longer number.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:02 am

Jasonb wrote:Facts Jem harder good able see well and have good hearing. Starfleet well see GPMC might not good as Star War fan like think. Jem Harder might well able to simple snipe them out. Other possible problem power the point they hand over battery pack to individual UFP soldiers while in practice no reason could set wide angle fire and release enough power kill basic denied Jem Harder enter other issue of power. Good number UFP soldier phaser rifle ran out steam during the battle itself. Good number right hand to hand combat to halt the Jem Harder trooper other kept fire phase rifle. It possible few UFP soldier recharge phaser rifle finish of the rest Jem Harder troop some hand to or keep bay phaser rifle last stand.
This is one of those things where context matters, but since it cool to bad mouth Star trek things are taken out of context.
Franchise: Star Trek Series: Deep Space Nine Season: 7 Episode: 8 Title: The Siege Of AR558 wrote: WORF: This is no time to be wandering the corridors. 

QUARK: I thought the Chin'toka system was in Federation hands. 

WORF: It is, but the Dominion is determined to take back their territory. The whole system's a battleground. 

QUARK: Thank you. I should probably write this down.
Franchise: Star Trek Series: Deep Space Nine Season: 7 Episode: 8 Title: The Siege Of AR558 wrote: LARKIN: (woman) Who told you to open fire? 

VARGAS: I saw movement. I thought it was the Jem'Hadar. 

LARKIN: They look like Jem'Hadar to you? I gave the word to hold your fire. That Starfleet officers were beaming down with supplies. 

VARGAS: Well nobody told me. 

LARKIN: Sorry, Captain. A little breakdown in communications. 

SISKO: No harm was done. Where's Captain Loomis? 

LARKIN: He was killed ten days ago. So was Commander Parker. 

SISKO: Who's in command? 

LARKIN: I am. Lieutenant Nadia Larkin. 

SISKO: Ben Sisko. Where do you want your supplies? 

LARKIN: Vargas can show you. 

VARGAS: Supplies. That's great. Don't they know we need to get off this rock? 

REESE: Take it easy, Vargas. 

VARGAS: Take it easy? I would love to take it easy. Get me out of this vole hole and I promise you for the rest of my life all I'll do is take it easy! According to Starfleet regulations we're suppose to be rotated off the front lines after ninety days. Ninety days! We've been stuck on this rock for five months, Captain. Take it easy. 

(Vargas stomps off, muttering.) 

LARKIN: Welcome to paradise, Captain.
Franchise: Star Trek Series: Deep Space Nine Season: 7 Episode: 8 Title: The Siege Of AR558 wrote: LARKIN: There it is. The only reason anyone gives a damn about this place. It's the largest Dominion communications array in the sector. 

SISKO: If we can figure out how it works, we should be able to tap into their entire comm. system. 

LARKIN: One thing's for sure, they're determined to get it back. 

SISKO: We can't let that happen. 

LARKIN: I know our orders, Captain. But maybe Starfleet Command isn't aware of our situation. We've been holding this place for five months. That's five months of fighting off repeated Jem'Hadar attempts to get it back. When we landed here, there was a hundred and fifty of us. We're down to forty three. 

SISKO: I appreciate what you've gone through, and I will make sure that Starfleet understands your situation. But from what I hear, our forces are spread pretty thin in this system. Chances are, you're going to be stuck here for a while longer. 

LARKIN: Lucky us. 

(On the ground floor, someone is working on the array.) 

KELLIN: Someone hand me a duonetic coupler. Thanks. 

(Everyone say Hi to Bill Mumy, veteran Lost In Space sci-fi actor, here fresh from Babylon 5.) 

EZRI: Your frequency discriminator seems to be drifting. You might want to reset it. 

KELLIN: You an engineer? 

EZRI: No, but Tobin, one of my previous hosts, was. 

KELLIN: Close enough. Grab a microdyne coupler and start recalibrating that transtator.
Franchise: Star Trek Series: Deep Space Nine Season: 7 Episode: 8 Title: The Siege Of AR558 wrote: SISKO: (to Larkin) I think you've set up a solid defence perimeter, but you need to tighten this flank. 

BASHIR: Captain, can I have a minute? 

(They move aside.) 

BASHIR: These people's physical and mental health is precarious at best. They need more than a few food replicators and medical supplies. They need to be shipped out of here. 

SISKO: I understand, but right now there's nothing I can do about that. 

(Bang!) 

LARKIN: Damn it!
Such a weapon would have been out of amunation long before the episode took place, and likely would have been destroyed. There are very few weapons that can be used for 5 months straight such as you describe that would not be out of ammunition in all of fiction.

Secondly, why would such a weapon be issued when Starfleet has at best a vague understanding of what is happening there?

+++++

Then you have the mines that were hidden in subspace and randomly appear.
Franchise: Star Trek Series: Deep Space Nine Season: 7 Episode: 8 Title: The Siege Of AR558 wrote: EZRI: Does that mean we stop working on the communications array? 

SISKO: They'll have to get along without you for a while. We have to find the Houdinis and disarm them. 

EZRI: I'm all for that. These mines are a nasty piece of engineering. 

KELLIN: They're also impossible to detect. I'm sorry, Captain, but I'm an engineer, not a magician. 

SISKO: Larkin says you like a challenge. 

KELLIN: I thought I did. But after banging my head against that communications array for the last few of months, I'm not so sure anymore. 

EZRI: He's just being modest, Captain. Chief O'Brien would be proud to have him on his crew. 

SISKO: I can't think of higher praise. 

(Sisko leaves.) 

KELLIN: Now what? 

EZRI: Now we get to pull a rabbit out of our hat.
These make a fixed defense nearly impossible as one could appear anywhere.