Star Fleet Uniforms VS Star Wars Blasters

For polite and reasoned discussion of Star Wars and/or Star Trek.
Lucky
Jedi Master

Star Fleet Uniforms VS Star Wars Blasters

Post by Lucky » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:06 am

How effective would a Star Wars style blaster be against a Star Fleet sailor uniform?

Datalore
Dr.Crusher's uniform is lit on fire, but neither she nor her uniform are burnt
http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x13/ ... hd_472.jpg

http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x13/ ... hd_473.jpg

http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x13/ ... hd_476.jpg

http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x13/ ... hd_497.jpg

User15083
Redshirt

Re: Star Fleet Uniforms VS Star Wars Blasters

Post by User15083 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:40 am

can't be any worse then Leia getting hit.

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:24 am

Lore explicitly stated it was a 'small gift' or 'small token' or somesuch, suggesting a low setting of some kind, perhaps even a special one given the unique effect. We seldom see flaming like that even in kill shots. I would presume at the very least a very tight beam intended to deliver such an effect.

Leia's arm hit is characterized by some as an effort to shoot to capture, which is silly given that it wasn't a stun shot and was, given stormtrooper aim, dangerously close to the head. And, as I'll note again for those who might still be trying to mischaracterize my old placeholder page featuring the hit, the camo outfits could've been armorweave a la Dooku's cloak in RotS.

In any case, though, I rather doubt that the standard Starfleet uniform would provide significant protection from blaster fire.

User15083
Redshirt

Post by User15083 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:18 pm

2046 wrote:Lore explicitly stated it was a 'small gift' or 'small token' or somesuch, suggesting a low setting of some kind, perhaps even a special one given the unique effect. We seldom see flaming like that even in kill shots. I would presume at the very least a very tight beam intended to deliver such an effect.

Leia's arm hit is characterized by some as an effort to shoot to capture, which is silly given that it wasn't a stun shot and was, given stormtrooper aim, dangerously close to the head. And, as I'll note again for those who might still be trying to mischaracterize my old placeholder page featuring the hit, the camo outfits could've been armorweave a la Dooku's cloak in RotS.

In any case, though, I rather doubt that the standard Starfleet uniform would provide significant protection from blaster fire.
what? where is this that says it was a "small gift" what lore are you talking about? The only lore is the movie that shows it.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:16 pm

He's talking about this scene from The Next Generation season one episode "Datalore":

LORE: Back off, or I'll turn your little man into a torch. I promise him exquisite pain unless you obey me too, brother.

CRUSHER: Move away, Data. Please.

LORE: Do you see now the advantages of being completely human? It includes kindness. I give you your life, Doctor. Go home. Quickly. And I may not injure your son at all.

DATA: I will stay with Wesley, Doctor.

LORE: Go! Or he'll be shrieking by the count of five. One, two, three, four

(Crusher runs for it)

LORE: Thank you for my human quality, Doctor Soong. Wait! A small payment for your son's misdeeds.

(Lore shoots Beverly in the arm. Data jumps Lore and they fight across the cargo bay, sending barrels and containers flying)

Lore does change the settings on the phaser before he shoots at Beverly Crusher, and this screencap gives an indication of the effects:

You can see not only sparks and smoke, but that her arm (more like her uniform) in the vicinity of the hit is on fire. Whether this compares or not to Leia's upper arm hit is another matter, especially if there is nanoweave silk involved there, or if that sort of thing is very hard to come by, even for a Rebel commando team.
-Mike

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:46 pm

From a modern perspective, it does seem unlikely that the concealed-armor cloak of an uber-rich fellow would be the same sort of thing worn by 'terrorists' a couple of decades later. On the other hand, given the camo pattern and whatnot, they were hardly wearing fashionable attire, and usually the tactical stuff is cheaper.

Compare http://www.bulletblocker.com/bullet-proof-clothing.html with bog-standard tactical gear.

In any case, it is a canon-based explanation, even if a bit of a stretch.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:51 pm

Mike DiCenso wrote:He's talking about this scene from The Next Generation season one episode "Datalore":

LORE: Back off, or I'll turn your little man into a torch. I promise him exquisite pain unless you obey me too, brother.

LORE: Do you see now the advantages of being completely human? It includes kindness. I give you your life, Doctor. Go home. Quickly. And I may not injure your son at all.

(Crusher runs for it)

LORE: Thank you for my human quality, Doctor Soong. Wait! A small payment for your son's misdeeds.

(Lore shoots Beverly in the arm. Data jumps Lore and they fight across the cargo bay, sending barrels and containers flying)

Lore does change the settings on the phaser before he shoots at Beverly Crusher, and this screencap gives an indication of the effects:

You can see not only sparks and smoke, but that her arm (more like her uniform) in the vicinity of the hit is on fire. Whether this compares or not to Leia's upper arm hit is another matter, especially if there is nanoweave silk involved there, or if that sort of thing is very hard to come by, even for a Rebel commando team.
-Mike
You can see Crusher's arm literally on fire as she runs out the door here:

Then you see here minutes later unhurt here:

It's possible she changed her top, but I don't think she had time to get a burn treated.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:54 pm

2046 wrote:Lore explicitly stated it was a 'small gift' or 'small token' or somesuch, suggesting a low setting of some kind, perhaps even a special one given the unique effect. We seldom see flaming like that even in kill shots. I would presume at the very least a very tight beam intended to deliver such an effect.

And what about Luke's hand in Return of the Jedi? the fake skin gets blaster off, but the sensitive electronics are undamaged?

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:51 am

Ooh, good point.

From the RotJ novelization:

"Luke looked at his hand; the mechanism was exposed - the complex steel-and-circuit construction that replaced his real hand, which Vader had cut off in their last encounter. He flexed the mechanism; it still worked."

So there's another blaster shot that didn't do a great deal to steel. I mean, for touch and sensation we can presume there was circuitry and whatnot in the skin rather than just a 'dumb' rubbery coating, but still.

Good thought.

Trinoya
Security Officer

Post by Trinoya » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:49 am

Starfleet uniforms appear more enviromental based as far as defense goes. We regularly see people get plasma to the face but the uniforms are fine, we see Chakotay jump over lava, we see a voyager era uniform still recoverable years after the poor crewman had died.

It makes sense considering the hazards of space.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:46 am

Lucky wrote:
Mike DiCenso wrote:He's talking about this scene from The Next Generation season one episode "Datalore":

(Crusher runs for it)

-Mike
You can see Crusher's arm literally on fire as she runs out the door here:

Then you see here minutes later unhurt here:

It's possible she changed her top, but I don't think she had time to get a burn treated.
Um no, you can clearly see the burn mark on her shoulder, and just to point out, when she was shot, she was wearing that blue medical jacket, so the phaser hit not only burned the jacket material, but the uniform shirt underneath it:

http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x13/ ... hd_468.jpg

So whatever Lore set the phaser to, it was enough to set fire to both sets of clothing in the immediate area of the hit and possibly burn her skin beyond that since the burn appears to have some depth to it as well.
-Mike

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:05 pm

2046 wrote:From a modern perspective, it does seem unlikely that the concealed-armor cloak of an uber-rich fellow would be the same sort of thing worn by 'terrorists' a couple of decades later. On the other hand, given the camo pattern and whatnot, they were hardly wearing fashionable attire, and usually the tactical stuff is cheaper.

Compare http://www.bulletblocker.com/bullet-proof-clothing.html with bog-standard tactical gear.

In any case, it is a canon-based explanation, even if a bit of a stretch.
KICKASS!

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:11 am

Mike DiCenso wrote:
Um no, you can clearly see the burn mark on her shoulder, and just to point out, when she was shot, she was wearing that blue medical jacket, so the phaser hit not only burned the jacket material, but the uniform shirt underneath it:

http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x13/ ... hd_468.jpg

So whatever Lore set the phaser to, it was enough to set fire to both sets of clothing in the immediate area of the hit and possibly burn her skin beyond that since the burn appears to have some depth to it as well.
-Mike
What burn on her uniform?

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:48 pm

The uniform charring visible on the 4th screencap from the opening post.

I seem to recall "Pathways" having an explicit mention of the flame-retardant properties of uniforms, but I don't see it right now, and after looking on my page on Pathways and being reminded of how bad it was I can't seem to gather the will to look in it right now.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:15 am

2046 wrote:The uniform charring visible on the 4th screencap from the opening post.
I honestly don't see it, and I'm the one who won't the OP.