Why not build The Doctor a body?

For polite and reasoned discussion of Star Wars and/or Star Trek.
Lucky
Jedi Master

Why not build The Doctor a body?

Post by Lucky » Sat May 31, 2014 12:31 am

In Voyager they make a big deal about the Doctor not being able to leave sickbay do to a lack of holo emitters in most of the ship, but why didn't they build a physical body for the Doctor to use?

Memory doesn't seem to be an issue, nor does powering the systems.
Franchise: Star Trek Series: The Next Generation Season: 06 Episode: 12 Title: Ship in a Bottle wrote: RIKER: How did you do it, sir? 

PICARD: We managed to programme the holodeck inside the holodeck, and use the same ruse that Moriarty used on us. 

DATA: When he was attempting to contact the real Bridge, he was in fact speaking to a simulation. 

TROI: You mean he never knew he hadn't left the holodeck? 

PICARD: In fact, the programme is continuing even now inside that cube. 

CRUSHER: A miniature holodeck? 

DATA: In a way, Doctor. However, there is no physicality. The programme is continuous but only within the computer's circuitry. 

BARCLAY: As far as Moriarty and the Countess know, they're half way to Meles Two by now. This enhancement module contains enough active memory to provide them experiences for a lifetime. 

PICARD: They will live their lives and never know any difference. 

TROI: In a sense, you did give Moriarty what he wanted. 

PICARD: In a sense. But who knows? Our reality may be very much like theirs. All this might be just be an elaborate simulation running inside a little device sitting on someone's table. Well, we have a newborn star to study. Mister Barclay, you will keep that safe? 

BARCLAY: Aye, sir. 

(everyone else leaves) 

BARCLAY: Computer, end programme.
It always seemed that they never had a hard time building Data new bodies. The problem was making a brain like Data's, but they clearly have comparable technologies.

Starship Captain

Re: Why not build The Doctor a body?

Post by 2046 » Sat May 31, 2014 4:55 am

That's an ingenious idea. I've never heard it before, to my knowledge . . . presumably the writers never considered it, either.

Data was not readily copyable, nor even well understood in TNG1, but most of the issues later seemed to relate to the positronic brain and its interface rather than the body mechanics. Lal was good but for the brain, for instance. But, perhaps Data's schematics are not something carried around on every ship . . . one would hope so, at least . . . so they might've been reinventing the wheel there.

Not that it would be the first time. I mean, they built shuttlecraft over and over, and Delta Flyers, and repaired the 1950s robot dude, so it seems like they could've done so easily enough . . . brilliant.

That said, once the mobile emitter came along it was a moot point, to a degree, but would've been a genius alternative or backup.

Of course, to my mind, the fact that they never seemed to have a copy of the Doctor, if even a default version that could be run while the 'real' one was away, was silly.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Sat May 31, 2014 8:40 am

2046 wrote:That's an ingenious idea. I've never heard it before, to my knowledge . . . presumably the writers never considered it, either.

Data was not readily copyable, nor even well understood in TNG1, but most of the issues later seemed to relate to the positronic brain and its interface rather than the body mechanics. Lal was good but for the brain, for instance. But, perhaps Data's schematics are not something carried around on every ship . . . one would hope so, at least . . . so they might've been reinventing the wheel there.

Not that it would be the first time. I mean, they built shuttlecraft over and over, and Delta Flyers, and repaired the 1950s robot dude, so it seems like they could've done so easily enough . . . brilliant.

That said, once the mobile emitter came along it was a moot point, to a degree, but would've been a genius alternative or backup.

Of course, to my mind, the fact that they never seemed to have a copy of the Doctor, if even a default version that could be run while the 'real' one was away, was silly.
Given the Federation has prosthetic limbs that are about as good if not better then the original, and high density energy storage devices, i don't think building a body for the Doctor would require all that much work.

The mobile emitter doesn't appear until season 3 episode 9 of Voyager after all. That's over two years of them seemingly not putting much thought into the problem.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Sat May 31, 2014 8:58 am

2046 wrote:That's an ingenious idea. I've never heard it before, to my knowledge . . . presumably the writers never considered it, either.

Given the Federation has prosthetic limbs that are about as good if not better then the original, and high density energy storage devices, i don't think building a body for the Doctor would require all that much work.

The mobile emitter doesn't appear until season 3 episode 9 of Voyager after all. That's over two years of them seemingly not putting much thought into the problem.

Jasonb
Jedi Knight

Post by Jasonb » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:49 pm

Lucky wrote:

I admit interest idea I do not have answer.