Stormtrooper armor crack and real life film production

For polite and reasoned discussion of Star Wars and/or Star Trek.
GStone
Starship Captain

Stormtrooper armor crack and real life film production

Post by GStone » Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:45 pm

We all know the crack in the shoulder piece of the trooper's armor that was seen in RotJ when he was attacked by the ewoks and tackled to the ground. But, what I'm wondering is if anyone knows if this was just a goof that was left in that wasn't originally planned? In the bonus material disk of the OT DVDs, they talked about how 3PO's costume kept cracking apart when Daniels walked. Does anyone know if the crack in the trooper's armor was something like that?

What's acceptable info is obviously background info on the production of the film, not whether the Empire arms their soldiers with substandard materials for armor or not.

Nonamer
Jedi Knight

Post by Nonamer » Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:36 pm

Well we know that the suits were made of cheap plastic in production, so we can naturally assume the crack is probably a goof (a VFX error if you will). Also the total lack of cracking armor elsewhere probably suggests this. Anyways, I doubt if any of this matters since the armor is rarely seen to provide any kind of protect of any sort.

GStone
Starship Captain

Post by GStone » Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:00 pm

Nonamer wrote:Anyways, I doubt if any of this matters since the armor is rarely seen to provide any kind of protect of any sort.
Yeah. I'm just wondering if this'll stay the next time Lucas puts out another version of the DVDs or if it'll be FXed out. There are still a few things that are off, like the ever changing color of Luke's lightsabre blade. It might stay, since we've got an arrow sticking out of another armor.

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:35 am

I doubt Lucas intended for the armor to crack, but I would also be amazed if he chose to change it in the next revision.

I doubt we're going to be able to find any official statement on this.