Laser as anti-starship weapons in Star Trek

For polite and reasoned discussion of Star Wars and/or Star Trek.
Lucky
Jedi Master

Re: Laser as anti-starship weapons in Star Trek

Post by Lucky » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:21 am

359 wrote: And the amount light is bent is proportional to how strong the field is. Weak gravity, negligible bending.
Scorpion would imply we are talking about black hole level. Simply realigning the emitters creates a wormhole.

The fact a warp drive of any sort is used tells use that they use powerful gravitational fields.

Jedi Knight

Post by 359 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:47 pm

Lucky wrote:Scorpion would imply we are talking about black hole level. Simply realigning the emitters creates a wormhole.

The fact a warp drive of any sort is used tells use that they use powerful gravitational fields.
First, the deflectors are all-encompasing black hole level fields, otherwise no one would ever see a starship. Second, we are dealing with a sub-space field not a gravitational field. Yes subspace can be used to effect space but that is dependent on the field geometry. Subspace in Star Trek is used to explain most things that are not actually possible. Subspace fields alter space in minor or major ways, not always relating to gravitational forces.

With regards to warp drive, its not majorly dependent on gravity. The main point of warp engines is to create a subspace displacement field. Not to say that gravity plays no role, but it is not a major component.

ENT: "Cold Front":

Sonsorra: "The nacelles."
Tucker: "That's right."
Sonsorra: "Which contain warp coils that create the subspace displacement field."
Tucker: "I see you already know a thing or two about starship engines."
Sonsorra: "I'm a warp field theorist."
Tucker: "Oh. Well, I guess that covers the basics. Any questions?"

Or from TNG: "Remember Me" when Wesley generates a static warp field that ends up transporting Dr. Crusher to a self-contained universe. No gravity was involved, just a self contained universe created by the Enterprise's warp core. That's what warp fields do, they alter reality in a finite area allowing the generation of many particles, including gravitons, and allow for things like warp travel to be possible.

theta_pinch
Bridge Officer

Post by theta_pinch » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:53 pm

359 wrote:
Lucky wrote:Scorpion would imply we are talking about black hole level. Simply realigning the emitters creates a wormhole.

First, the deflectors are all-encompasing black hole level fields, otherwise no one would ever see a starship. Second, we are dealing with a sub-space field not a gravitational field.
Actually we are dealing with a gravitational field as can be indisputably seen in this image where it says graviton:

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:26 am

359 wrote:
First, the deflectors are all-encompasing black hole level fields, otherwise no one would ever see a starship. Second, we are dealing with a sub-space field not a gravitational field. Yes subspace can be used to effect space but that is dependent on the field geometry. Subspace in Star Trek is used to explain most things that are not actually possible. Subspace fields alter space in minor or major ways, not always relating to gravitational forces.

With regards to warp drive, its not majorly dependent on gravity. The main point of warp engines is to create a subspace displacement field. Not to say that gravity plays no role, but it is not a major component.

ENT: "Cold Front":

Sonsorra: "The nacelles."
Tucker: "That's right."
Sonsorra: "Which contain warp coils that create the subspace displacement field."
Tucker: "I see you already know a thing or two about starship engines."
Sonsorra: "I'm a warp field theorist."
Tucker: "Oh. Well, I guess that covers the basics. Any questions?"

Or from TNG: "Remember Me" when Wesley generates a static warp field that ends up transporting Dr. Crusher to a self-contained universe. No gravity was involved, just a self contained universe created by the Enterprise's warp core. That's what warp fields do, they alter reality in a finite area allowing the generation of many particles, including gravitons, and allow for things like warp travel to be possible.
In TNG: Nth Degree. They use gravity to create the subspace fields.