5 Peregrine-class Fighters vs. 1 ISD

For polite and reasoned discussion of Star Wars and/or Star Trek.
Khas
Starship Captain

5 Peregrine-class Fighters vs. 1 ISD

Post by Khas » Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:48 pm

Alright, just in any attempt to find a fair fight nowadays... five Starfleet Peregrine-class Attack Fighters (the kind seen in the Dominion War) will engage an Imperial II-class Star Destroyer, complete with its full complement of TIE Fighters.

How does this battle go?

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Re: 5 Peregrine-class Fighters vs. 1 ISD

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sat Apr 06, 2024 2:44 am

Ah, how things have changed from the days when Warsies claimed that a single TIE fighter or Slave-I could destroy the Enterprise-D or whatever with a few shots.

The Peregrine fighters have shields that can repel for a couple seconds the firepower from Cardassian and Dominion capital ship weapons, I don't see how this can go well for the Imperial-II, save that its Captain uses the TIE fighters and bombers as a sacrificial distraction in order to buy time until the Star Destroyer can escape into hyperspace, maybe even risk a micro hyper jump of a few light years.

If all five Peregrines get through, they'll bring their firepower to bear on the Imperial-II which can punch through the shields and damage Cardassian Galors.

Starship Captain

Re: 5 Peregrine-class Fighters vs. 1 ISD

Post by 2046 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:50 am

I presume the Federation tac-fighters were doing a little PT boat action, there, rather than just normally being able to beat up Galors in small numbers.

In any case, though, the main threat of small, well-armed, and well-shielded vessels of that kind is that the ISD would, historically, have a lot of trouble hitting them. There'd definitely need to be TIEs launched to deal with the ship, which would be extraordinarily bad for the TIEs since the fighters aren't limited to the forward arc.