What are ray-shields and what are particle-shields?

For polite and reasoned discussion of Star Wars and/or Star Trek.
Who is like God arbour
Starship Captain

What are ray-shields and what are particle-shields?

Post by Who is like God arbour » Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:00 pm

What is the difference between ray-shields and particle-shields?

I mean, each form of radiation is caused by particles, like photons, electrons, positrons, neutrons or helium-4 nuclei.

And each form of force is only the interaction of particles like gluons, photons, W and Z bosons and gravitons.

Every observed physical phenomenon can be explained by these interactions - not that I would be able to do it.

But what exactly is a ray-shield supposed to do if it shields against particles?

And what exactly is a particle-shield supposed to do if the transmitting of kinetic energy is only a fundamental interaction of mediators?

Cpl Kendall
Jedi Knight

Post by Cpl Kendall » Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:27 pm

Ray shields protect against laser weapons and particle shields protect against missiles. Simple as that.

Who is like God arbour
Starship Captain

Post by Who is like God arbour » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:16 pm

A little bit to simple.

I want to know where exactly is the difference.

What let the one protect against missiles but not against laser weapons and what let the other protect against laser weapons but not againt missiles?

I don't see why a particel shield wouldn't protect against laser weapons too.

With whatever exactly they shot (it's no Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation), they are shoting always particles.

I mean, there is no such thing like raw energy. It's always a particle that mediates energy.

GStone
Starship Captain

Post by GStone » Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:55 pm

My initial guess is that they might be designed based on the type of energy they're protecting against.

Ray shields= high kinetic, low laser
Particle shields= low kinetic, 'high laser' (high laser, where the word 'laser' actually refers to a variety of electromagnetic energy, usually in the quantities and types found in solid matter)

Turbolasers/laser canons/blasters/etc. use a gas that's combined with energy. Presuming it's electrical energy, the types and quantities of energy within the bolt are dissimilar to varying degrees, when compared to a solid piece of matter, say a chunk of steel of the same mass or flying dirt clumps.