Legacy & Inheritance: phaser drills

For polite and reasoned discussion of Star Wars and/or Star Trek.
Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:20 pm

Jedi Master Spock wrote:
Mr. Oragahn wrote:1. What things they break apart, exactly?
Humans... rocks...

... if it takes longer than a frame, we see it happen slowly and in what looks like a piecemeal fashion.
Doesn't mean it's a vaporization. They just get dismantled, somehow, into funky packets.
2. The repeated misuse of a term doesn't make it correct. Every language has words everybody wrongly uses.
So? Gives us somewhere to start.
Why? I'm not the one who has to prove it's a vaporization. I'm fine with the idea that it's a very exotic process that requires much less energy than a true vaporization would.
What about energy rectification?
That sounds gibberish enough.
3. There's the simple fact that if the process ahd anything to with vaporization, which it does not, the atmosphere down there, in the pockets, would be highly toxic.
This is actually a problem with the episode regardless of what we assume.
Not if the matter wasn't vaporized, but simply made go *somewhere*, which is pretty much what I'm saying.
A vaporization wouldn't have enabled these people going down there. Of course, we're talking about machines, but the old lady wasn't considered a machine back then, and Data didn't make any mention of the air's toxicity.
2% of several hundreds of megatons... still lies in the megaton range.
We hardly even see kiloton level associated DET effects.
We clearly just did.
How? I actually expect to see highly heated matter be immediately visible as the beam hits the ground, if there's going to be a leak of 2% from the power needed to go through that amount of matter.
That was, a couple of gigatons stretched over 19 seconds, right?

Your estimation was about a power between 24 and 71 megatons per second.
2% of this energy emitted as heat is still between 480 and 1420 kilotons per second, DET.

No high kiloton side effects.
... by injecting plasma from single torpedo sized pods, into magma pockets close to the core? They're clearly implying that a vast part of the crust has cooled down below fusion point, and that phenomenom extended very deeply, close to the core...
Somehow... I find the energy requirements very low.

Besides, we can easily assume a Venus sized planet as well. Assuming an Earth sized planet would be looking at a limit that's higher than the lower one.
It could be a little larger or smaller, although not by too much if we want to be strict documentarians again.
But it's that I can't see how the equivalent of plasma contained within those pods will be enough to heat up the magma.