TIE Bomber Yields and Comparisons

For polite and reasoned discussion of Star Wars and/or Star Trek.
comanderninja
Candidate

TIE Bomber Yields and Comparisons

Post by comanderninja » Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:15 am

So the latest episode of The Book of Boba Fett shows bombardments done onto Mandalore, explosions with sizable fireballs. Now, there are two explosions, the carpet bombing ones and the nuke-level ones so I'll be assuming the TIEs are carrying different types of ordnance. Since calcs aren't much of my thing, I was wondering on what you all thought on this, and how we can compare it to weapons in modern times or Trek standards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9eW5PjFo7E

Starship Captain

Re: TIE Bomber Yields and Comparisons

Post by 2046 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:16 pm

Pretty, but I see nothing to scale against in the relatively low-def video. The first scene under the moon . . . are those huts by streams or is that supposed to be towns by rivers? The final dome explosion looks huge but seems more like a secondary explosion than any particular delivered munition. Otherwise, why all the smaller ones?

comanderninja
Candidate

Post by comanderninja » Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:59 pm

2046 wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:16 pm
Pretty, but I see nothing to scale against in the relatively low-def video. The first scene under the moon . . . are those huts by streams or is that supposed to be towns by rivers? The final dome explosion looks huge but seems more like a secondary explosion than any particular delivered munition. Otherwise, why all the smaller ones?
They are supposed to be cities seen in TCW animated series from Mandalore. We can see the city lights below, but the rivers are actually sand dunes and dry desert areas (since Mandalore itself is mostly a dry world). We see Sundaria (the city dome) in the distance and even see it bombed with similar sized fireballs to what we just saw in the earlier carpet bomb run. The secondary fireball is most definitely not done from the ordnance and possibly just a chain reaction after the carpet bomb run on it. Here's an image for the size of the dome compared to an ISD:

https://lumiere-a.akamaihd.net/v1/image ... 1280%2C720

Fireball duration seems to extend about 4-6 seconds on average so I'm thinking these yields can possibly in high kiloton to low megaton level range.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:02 pm

What, a single standard TIE fighter doesn't have uber kilotons per shot and so accomplish the same thing with just a bit of strafing? TIE bombers' loadouts aren't causing the planet's crust to crack? Heresy!

Funnily enough, this scene from Book of Boba Fett is a near perfect depiction of what was described in the old EU/Legends material. The actual material, mind you, not what certain people were trying to tell us was there. The only thing it lacks is a bombardment by Star Destroyers. However, the use of bombers is fine, the spirit and original intent is all that matters.

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:18 am

comanderninja wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:59 pm
They are supposed to be cities seen in TCW animated series from Mandalore.

I'll have to rewatch. To me, it's scarcely distinguishable from the bombing of Ryloth villages, going by memory of each.

We see Sundaria (the city dome) in the distance and even see it bombed with similar sized fireballs to what we just saw in the earlier carpet bomb run.

Was there only one dome city?

Fireball duration seems to extend about 4-6 seconds on average so I'm thinking these yields can possibly in high kiloton to low megaton level range.
The whole thing's in slo-mo, is it not?

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:34 am

Mike DiCenso wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:02 pm
What, a single standard TIE fighter doesn't have uber kilotons per shot and so accomplish the same thing with just a bit of strafing? TIE bombers' loadouts aren't causing the planet's crust to crack? Heresy!

Silly-billy, the TIE bomber pilots were simply shooting their sidearms out the window at medium-high settings. That many TIEs dropping bombs would have blown the fractured continental crust into orbit, natch, forming a minor navigational inconvenience for any unshielded pleasure-yachts from primitive worlds in the area. After all, their thin hyperglass-covered pool decks would look weird with the individual hairline fractures that might occur from crashing through kilometers of solid rock at orbital velocity, and we wouldn't want the tycoon admirals losing their command if their companies were sued into oblivion.