Star Trek: Prodigy USS Protostar Firepower

For polite and reasoned discussion of Star Wars and/or Star Trek.
Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Star Trek: Prodigy USS Protostar Firepower

Post by Mike DiCenso » Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:20 pm

An impressive display of firepower from a relatively small Federation starship:

https://youtu.be/uYIDhvUz8uY?t=46

Khas
Starship Captain

Re: Star Trek: Prodigy USS Protostar Firepower

Post by Khas » Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:16 am

It's kinda funny that the newer Trek series show consistently higher-end weapons yields, while the newer Wars movies and series consistently show lower-end ones. Almost like reality is trying to spite the old Wongites for their past actions...

Really makes ya wonder just HOW the history of the Versus Debate would have gone if all these shows and movies existed back in the 90's.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:59 am

Really makes ya wonder just HOW the history of the Versus Debate would have gone if all these shows and movies existed back in the 90's.
Sadly, given the personalities involved, I don't think it would've made much difference. They blatantly stated they were all about winning no matter what and in any way. It was never about truth. Look at what Wong did to poor Graham Kennedy back in the USENET days. A very early version of doxxing and attempted cancelling. Brian Young's turbolaser pages are good for their time, but when the rather serious flaws of it were exposed, instead of changing his mind, he only doubled down and even tripled down.
-Mike

misternobody86
Redshirt

Post by misternobody86 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:39 am

Khas wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:16 am
It's kinda funny that the newer Trek series show consistently higher-end weapons yields, while the newer Wars movies and series consistently show lower-end ones. Almost like reality is trying to spite the old Wongites for their past actions...

Well Wongites/Saxtonites always depended upon a a relative dearth of content in order to make their preferred interpretation fly. Granted there's little in the OT to suggest star destroyers can casually slag a planet's crust to molten magma or that ISD's are small, common ships but with only a handful of hours of film footage its easier to spin explanations/excuses. We're following ragtag Rebels in the boondocks, the Empire deliberately scattered his fleet across the galaxy as part of his misinformation so the 30 ISD's at Endor are the tiniest of tiny fleets he could keep hidden from Rebel spies ect.

No matter what, even showings on par to those "higher-end" yields you talk about, simply more content would run counter to their carefully constructed interpretation.

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:26 am

Mike DiCenso wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:20 pm

The big asteroid seems holed rather than blasted apart completely, at first blush. Rather more interesting is that odd 'flak burst' mode where it strikes a solar flare or prominence and produces an obvious blast wave. That was nifty and unexpected.

comanderninja
Candidate

Post by comanderninja » Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:00 pm

The thing is, there's always going to be a number of debaters arguing in favor of biggatons for modern Wars due to the new ICS publications, when the reality is, the newer shows never acknowledge this. The bombardment of Tipoca City, the DQar bombardment, SW BF II campaign missions, and comics don't show anything remotely close to what's stated in any ICS books.

I also find it pretty funny that a kids show in the nu-Trek era has better showings than the films, although I wouldn't be surprised if there would be inconsistency with weapons throughout its run.

On another note, do we have any specifics on how the Protostar was able to create a burst in a solar flare?

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:43 am

2046 wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:26 am
Mike DiCenso wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:20 pm

The big asteroid seems holed rather than blasted apart completely, at first blush. Rather more interesting is that odd 'flak burst' mode where it strikes a solar flare or prominence and produces an obvious blast wave. That was nifty and unexpected.
It is holed, the molten and vaporized material is seen spewing outwards. And it's a huge asteroid, scaling it against the Defiant-sized Protostar herself. I make the asteroid at about 400 meters on its long axis, and the hole made by the Protostar phaser up to 100 meters.
-Mike

comanderninja
Candidate

Post by comanderninja » Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:23 pm

So another thing I've found was the technical readout of the Protostar's torpedoes.
dP2D9QP.jpeg
I'm fairly sure the 1.5 kg of antimatter is inconsistent with the 300 km blast zone but I was wondering on anyone else's opinion on this
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:21 pm

comanderninja wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:23 pm
So another thing I've found was the technical readout of the Protostar's torpedoes.
dP2D9QP.jpeg
I'm fairly sure the 1.5 kg of antimatter is inconsistent with the 300 km blast zone but I was wondering on anyone else's opinion on this
Not hugely. The "blast zone" isn't defined as radius. The readout is claiming a maximum 1.5 kg antimatter loadout which works out to about 64 megatons yield or an effective radius of roughly 100 km according to Nukemap and other calculators with 3rd degree thermal burns possible and structural damage out to 63 km.

If we assume that blast zone means square area, it works out as an okay-ish rounding up of the effects area of heavy blast damage (238 km).
-Mike