Star Trek: Lower Decks U.S.S. Cerritos Revealed!

For polite and reasoned discussion of Star Wars and/or Star Trek.
Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Star Trek: Lower Decks U.S.S. Cerritos Revealed!

Post by Mike DiCenso » Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:23 pm

This is our first look at the ship from the upcoming animated series, the California-class USS Cerritos.

Interesting with the character art style for the series, the ship and its interiors are surprisingly given some attention to and it is fairly consistent with the "kitbash" designs seen throughout Next Generation as it definitely owes a lot in appearance to the Galaxy and Nebula-class starship components.

Although still early, let the speculations begin!
-Mike

Khas
Starship Captain

Re: Star Trek: Lower Decks U.S.S. Cerritos Revealed!

Post by Khas » Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:04 pm

I can also see some influence from the Oberth-class as well, what with the lack of a neck, and the pylons supporting the saucer section.

Picard578
Padawan

Post by Picard578 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:47 am

Funnily, my first thought was Centaur-class.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:12 pm

And the trailer has been released with more views of the ship.
-Mike

sonofccn
Starship Captain

Post by sonofccn » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:46 pm

I don't know. Am I the only one who feels like this seems more like a parody show we'd see on "Family Guy" than the latest incarnation of Trek? Shrug. Maybe I'm just old.

Ship design was nice, I thought. Through I couldn't help but feeling a little clash between than and the crude "Rick and Morty" art design of the characters. Again through maybe that's just me.

Iscander
Padawan

Post by Iscander » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:08 pm

I'm glad I'm not the only one who saw Oberth inspiration. I am also happy to see the TNG era kitbash style for what is supposed to be a second line ship.

Sothis
Bridge Officer

Post by Sothis » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:27 pm

Intrigued, prepared to give it a chance when it appears on UK shores, whenever that will be.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:34 pm

Just stepping into the moderator mode here just to remind everyone that commenting on the show itself is a separate topic and to keep this to comments and speculation on the ship.

Thank you.
-Mike

Sothis
Bridge Officer

Post by Sothis » Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:11 pm

I'm curious as to how many California-class ships were made. Is their general purpose exploration?

Also, I'm not seeing any obvious torpedo launchers.

Jedi Knight

Post by 359 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:27 am

This comes from a while later, of course having seen several episodes. The California-class seems to be a fleet utility ship, she spends her time maintaining Federation infrastructure so that civilization can exist. I'd compare it to the fleet of F-150s that a (US) local utility company has. I'd guess it's a design meant to supplement and eventually replace the aging fleet of Miranda and Excelsior-class ships we see doing this work through TNG.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:11 pm

We already know via interviews with Mike McMahan that the California-class starships are the fleet utility support ships that we suspected were there all along but are now getting to see in action. They are not there to go do deep space exploration and they're not very big. McMahan has stated in a Trekyard interview that the California-class is far smaller than the similar looking Galaxy and Nebula-class starships. Maybe at most 1/3rd the total volume of those frontline ships.

The unique division color strips on the saucer sections do indeed denote what specialty each California serves in the capacity of. The Cerritos being an engineering support vessel.

They also have big warp cores... but not for providing power for weapons or shields or warp, but again, for utility purposes; the building of infrastructures on Federation and allied worlds.

And yes, the Cerritos and other ships of her class were inspired from the Miranda-class.
-Mike