Transphasic Torpedoes

For polite and reasoned discussion of Star Wars and/or Star Trek.
WhiteLion
Padawan

Transphasic Torpedoes

Post by WhiteLion » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:32 am

I noticed that almost no scifi series has countermeasures for phase transition weapons. All usually have shields that can stop attacks in their own phase. Do you think ships like the Daedalus of Stargate, the Galactica or a Star Destroyer could be destroyed by a transphasic torpedo fired at the ship's reactor or in the fuel tank?
Logically it should cross the ship and detonate, and if it detonated in the fuel tank or in the main reactor?

Enterprise E
Bridge Officer

Re: Transphasic Torpedoes

Post by Enterprise E » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:20 pm

I think it really depends on how Transphasic Torpedoes actually work. If they work just by phasing through shields, then any shield that could be properly remodulated to block them could provide some protection, though the torpedoes, themselves, also look to be pretty powerful. If they can phase through matter, like a Phase Cloak, then that will be much more difficult for the target ship to protect against.

WhiteLion
Padawan

Post by WhiteLion » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:47 pm

Transphasic torpedoes use the phase transition technology present on the Pegasus in TNG, being in a different phase going through everything that is present in a different phase from theirs. A bit like the chronotronic torpedoes that instead of being in a phase of different matter are in a different phase of time. In the TNG epison of the Pegasus (I don't remember the name but I think it was in the first season) the Enterprise D crosses an asteroid.

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:37 pm

According to the non-canon sources, transphasic torpedoes work by creating a series of multiple subspace energy pulses, each with their own frequency. The frequencies of the pulses generated by these torpedoes are also generated at random, which is why the Borg couldn't adapt to them.

Jasonbelkin
Padawan

Post by Jasonbelkin » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:53 am

Right answer is transphaisic torpedoes seem to use some kind phase device like a phase cloak device if just plain bag for buck you expect USS Voyager need use one transphasic torpedoes per borg cube instead of in some case two and some case one.

WhiteLion
Padawan

Post by WhiteLion » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:36 am

yes this is correct, the trans-phasic torpedoes have a variable phase frequency, completely random, so it is impossible even for the Borg to adapt completely, in fact even in the most recent episodes they never adapt completely, the speech is that a single torpedo is enough trans-phasic to destroy a resistant ship like a Borg cube, because it penetrates the vital points of the target ship

Darth Spock
Bridge Officer

Post by Darth Spock » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:28 pm

It's possible they're cutting edge weapons that manage to bypass any conventional defenses, even armor, but I was a bit more inclined to think they were a specifically anti-Borg weapon designed circumvent their unique adaptive shield systems. Much like the phaser modulations employed against drones. Except for the Krenim's chroniton torpedoes, most 'Trek weaponry appears to exploit the normal gaps common to their shields, whether it's the Dominion's polaron beams, the Ramuran's proton beams or just normal ordinance with the benefit of knowing the enemies' frequencies.

WhiteLion
Padawan

Post by WhiteLion » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:54 am

I could not answer you with canon information, the fact that the torpedo is in a different phase of the matter allows it to cross what is in our phase, in theory, shields and hulls are in the same phase, unless the ship does not have trans-phasic shields . In voyager a single torpedo destroys a cube, usually a Slavic torpedo does nothing to it, this could indicate that the torpedo strikes from the inside, but mine is only a hypothesis about observed facts, of canon there is only that the torpedo is in a different phase of the matter.

Darth Spock
Bridge Officer

Post by Darth Spock » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:48 am

I understand, and it is unclear exactly how they operate. My interpretation was based on the Borg's usual tactical behavior of simply allowing themselves to get shot, then analyzing to implement the optimal shielding against future attacks. Usually this is observed with the drones, but the first encounter the Enterprise has with a cube is similar in TNG:2:16 "Q Who." Only 3 phaser hits inflict damage to 20% of the Cube according to dialogue, and the visual damage on the 2 km wide cube is huge, but only on this first encounter and never again: LINK. Compare also with Species 8472's weapon, against which the Borg were never able to adapt: LINK, although even Voyager's standard shields could withstand at least one hit from the same weapon: LINK.

WhiteLion
Padawan

Post by WhiteLion » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:48 am

You are right, the phasers severely damaged the cube, even if it seems to me to be a series of bursts at maximum power, but I do not want to make mistakes, I have a vague memory of it, it is a long time since I saw the episode again.
Against the species 8472 I believe that more adaptation is brute power, however the adaptation of the Borg is not absolute, in fact to the transfasic torpedoes are not able to adapt, if a whole save is fired or two torpedoes pass.

However we do not underestimate the voyager, in the course of his travels he has collected many powerful technologies, we remember besides the transfasic torpedoes the chronitronic torpedoes of the temporal ship Krenim, those yes that they were absolute weapons, wrapped in a temporal flow are practically in another time, technology interesting.
I also remember the omega particle, torpedoes with a warhead containing this particle I seem to remember they were extremely powerful, so much so as to be banned.
Finally, the Borg supplied Janeway with the plans for the multiphasic neutron mine, capable of erasing the solar system in which they were located.

Having the replicators apart from the omega particle I believe that the voyager is able to replicate the aforementioned weapons, it is small but in the federation I don't think there are any ships holding up the comparison.

MarkusTay
Candidate

Post by MarkusTay » Wed May 18, 2022 10:39 pm

But in tech/computers, there really is no such thing as 'completely random' - a random 'seed' is generated, sometimes when a system boots, or everyday, or when an app (like a game) is started, and random numbers are generated out of that. However, someone like Data should eventually spot the pattern... because there is always one.

Solution:
Nanoparticles programmed to each 'vibrate' (whatever) at a different frequency, Done. You can either 'assemble' them in a field (held together in a thin layer of the ships' shields), or have them disperse in much the same manner as anti-missile countermeasures are deployed by aircraft (on a need-to-use basis, in the direction of incoming volleys). It will not stop the explosion (thats what the armor and shields are for), but it will cause them to detonate because it will detect them as hitting a target.

And am I the only one who keeps reading this as 'Transphobic Torpedoes'? Now that would be something to see LOL