Star Trek Picard

For polite and reasoned discussion of Star Wars and/or Star Trek.
Sothis
Bridge Officer

Star Trek Picard

Post by Sothis » Thu May 16, 2019 12:24 pm

So we finally have a name for the Picard series! A fairly obvious choice, but it crystallises things at the very least. Am greatly intrigued by what PIC will have to offer!

Starship Captain

Re: Star Trek Picard

Post by 2046 » Thu May 16, 2019 4:17 pm

At least they decided against Star Trek: Destiny. It would've been confusing to have two shows abbreviated as STD in CBS marketing materials, given that they used STD for Discovery already.

The pic seen of STP suggests a throwback to slightly modified DS9-era colorful jumpsuits, so that'll be interesting.

Sothis
Bridge Officer

Post by Sothis » Thu May 16, 2019 6:34 pm

*Shrug* a cursory look at the CBS Discovery site doesn’t seem to suggest ‘STD’ is a term in use - I’m aware of one offhand tweet in which the term was used but I wouldn’t say that represents policy. In fact, the CBS Trek Twitter account prefers #StarTrekDiscovery - they’re clearly confident of fitting within the character limit! Given most fans have historically omitted the ST prefix and come up with different abbreviations (DSC doesn’t carry ugly connotations after all), I would imagine PIC or some other acronym other than STP will soon emerge for the Picard show.

Sideswipe
Bridge Officer

Post by Sideswipe » Fri May 17, 2019 4:27 am

It's the kind of uninspired title that I've come to expect from the All Access era. My expectations for this show are almost nonexistent.

Sothis
Bridge Officer

Post by Sothis » Fri May 17, 2019 11:37 am

I'm by and large optimistic.

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Sun May 19, 2019 4:15 am

Sothis wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 6:34 pm
*Shrug* a cursory look at the CBS Discovery site doesn’t seem to suggest ‘STD’ is a term in use - I’m aware of one offhand tweet in which the term was used but I wouldn’t say that represents policy. In fact, the CBS Trek Twitter account prefers #StarTrekDiscovery - they’re clearly confident of fitting within the character limit!
In other words, STD is the only abbreviation you've seen them use, officially.

That's fine. StarTrek.com also uses DSC, in addition to the referenced STD. Tomato, tomahto.
Given most fans have historically omitted the ST prefix and come up with different abbreviations (DSC doesn’t carry ugly connotations after all), I would imagine PIC or some other acronym other than STP will soon emerge for the Picard show.
Fans have and continue to use STTOS, STTNG, et cetera quite often, sometimes even with a colon, but often without. There's STTOS.Net, for instance, along with stuff like the old Usenet stardate FAQ.

https://stason.org/TULARC/education-boo ... -tech.html

If you Google STTOS it knows you are referring to the Original Series. Even the Trek event in Las Vegas is STLV

I suspect STV having to be STVOY to avoid confusion with ST5 is where that started to break down some, not to mention the Encyclopedia use of TOS and TNG where the ST was a given. ENT was ENT because it wasn't titled ST at first anyway, though STE has appeared since. However, the usage is hardly obsolete.

That said, also, DSC is the Discovery Channel here, and DIS is Disney, so STD is the best three-letter option, as CBS marketing folks evidently noticed when advertising their STD ringtones at various venues, including the tweet you referenced.

Sorry if you associate it with a VD, but, in reality, there's no real confusion. Unlike DSC or DIS which step on the toes of other TV entertainment properties, "STD" as a VD requires an article (e.g. "an STD") and is a total shift of subject matter.

Either way, STP is hardly confusingly generic like PIC, unless you think the warp drive specifically requires Pennzoil for warranty purposes.

Sothis
Bridge Officer

Post by Sothis » Sun May 19, 2019 9:36 am

I wouldn't call an off-hand tweet, in a one-off capacity, official. I'd be more minded to follow the statement of John van Citters of CBD, who stated that DSC is the official abbreviation, precisely because of the obvious connotation with 'STD'. https://trekmovie.com/2016/07/23/breaki ... discovery/

DSC does tend to fall in line with the most common abbreviations in use elsewhere - and please note, whilst I am well aware some people like to use STTOS, STTNG etc, it's been my observation that this sort of usage for the TV shows is quite rare. Even a brief look at the history of forums such as this one, Stardestroyer. Net and Space Battles reveals this. With the movies and fan events things are a little different, but in respect of the TV shows, usage of acronyms has been pretty consistent across the board.

The reality is, in nearly every instance where I have seen people use the STD abbreviation, they have done precisely because of the more unfortunate connotations with that term. This is not to say *everyone* uses it for that purpose, but my observations (and even a quick Google search) suggest people are generally well aware of what STD is considered to stand for and want to generate negative connections with DSC. That and, given the most common style of abbreviation, it seems unlikely STP will be considered the norm for the Picard show.

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Sun May 19, 2019 4:47 pm

Sothis wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 9:36 am
I wouldn't call an off-hand tweet, in a one-off capacity, official.

That’s an interesting choice.

In reality, it was a marketing URL promoted in various spots for ringtones. They selected that shortened URL via the bit.ly service and promoted it as such. It's not just a boo-boo in a tweet they couldn't edit.

Voyager has the same issue . . . officially it’s ST:VOY, but VGR appeared here and there as a too-clever-by-half in-joke.
I'd be more minded to follow the statement of John van Citters of CBD, who stated that DSC is the official abbreviation, precisely because of the obvious connotation with 'STD'.

That’s from 2016. The actual use is newer.
DSC does tend to fall in line with the most common abbreviations in use elsewhere

No, it'd be DIS then, like VOY and ENT on TV, GEN, INS, and NEM in film.

I guess that's unacceptable, too?
I am well aware some people like to use STTOS, STTNG etc, it's been my observation that this sort of usage for the TV shows is quite rare. Even a brief look at the history of forums such as this one, Stardestroyer. Net and Space Battles reveals this.

Well, there's your problem. Those insular communities are not the whole of Trek fandom, scarcely represent it anyway, nor do they have the long history of actual Trek fandom.
The reality is, in nearly every instance where I have seen people use the STD abbreviation, they have done precisely because of the more unfortunate connotations with that term.

That’s your perception. There are also those who attribute all discussion of STD continuity problems to racism and sexism, so I suggest leaving perceived motivation out of it completely. After all, the alternative view would be that the most verbal ermagerd-not-STD people are often the ones crying -isms, suggesting a knee-jerk disingenuousness that belies the truth of its validity.

Prima facie, STD is not invalid, better fits established styling, and has the imprimatur of official use alongside the off-the-wall DSC.
This is not to say *everyone* uses it for that purpose, but my observations (and even a quick Google search) suggest people are generally well aware of what STD is considered to stand for and want to generate negative connections with DSC.

Funny, other than a rant from some guy and a TrekBBS snowflake session, my Googling quickly showed positive usages . . .

https://www.threeifbyspace.net/2019/02/ ... ake-it-so/

Here's another from stdpodcast.com . . .

. . . and though they've rebranded more broadly as "Discussing Trek", it was hardly a hate site.
That and, given the most common style of abbreviation, it seems unlikely STP will be considered the norm for the Picard show.

No reason not to go back to standard, unless CBS wants to use "PCR" or "PCD" to match the off-the-wall DSC thing.

Anyway, I'm off to rewatch some Trek. Maybe I'll pick some ETP, or watch GNR, maybe ISR or NMS.

Iscander
Padawan

Post by Iscander » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:07 am

I'm sure this group will have seen the trailer by now, but link below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbXy0f0aCN0

Hoping it is good, I like the aesthetics so far, but we will see how the plot lays out.

I do like the return of familiar faces.
Brent Spiner and Jerry Ryan in the trailer,

I have seem Johnathan Franks and Marina Sirtis confirmed elsewhere and Franks will be directing several episodes of the first season.

Sothis
Bridge Officer

Post by Sothis » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:04 am

PIC has certainly gone up a notch on the intrigue level. Stewart always brings a certain weight to every role, and as an older, perhaps more... tired Picard, I'll be fascinated to see where we go.