Discovery Season 3 Announced!

For polite and reasoned discussion of Star Wars and/or Star Trek.
Sothis
Bridge Officer

Discovery Season 3 Announced!

Post by Sothis » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:33 pm

Makes me curious to see how they plan to tee it up.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Re: Discovery Season 3 Announced!

Post by Mike DiCenso » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:28 pm

Midnight's Edge and Doomcock have some 'splainin' to do.
-Mike

Sothis
Bridge Officer

Post by Sothis » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:14 am

They certainly do. Mind you, they could just admit they’ve been lying frequently from the beginning.

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:09 pm

Come now, gentlemen. What's to explain? Speaking for infidels, generally, it's been publicly known for awhile that, despite some principle sets having built and more than one cast member clearly in the bag, the 31 show wasn't ready . . . it was announced for a premiere after STD3 on February 2. And the Picard show's nowhere near ready.

Did y'all think the argument from any realistic folks was that the flagship show of CBS All Access was going away with no replacement? That CBSAA was cutting the lights off and locking the login screens? I mean, I guess they could've tried to bank on tiding everyone over on The Twilight Zone reboot premiering in April, but I'm not aware of anyone making that argument, and that'd be a rather large risk since the amount of buzz about the show seems low. That's a brand name with a good history, but not the dedication of Trek.

Just so everyone's clear, the basic argument from me and that's basically the same elsewhere (albeit with a lot more flourish and exaggeration, at times, from some folks) is that STD is a disappointment, hence the replacements on offer like the Yeoh show (taking away a main/significant STD character), the Picard show (treating STD like it's the girlfriend in the wandering eye boyfriend meme), and so on. If you're not clear on what that means, imagine how hurt DS9 seasons 3-7 would've been if Garak had been played by their most well-known star and they'd done a Garak spinoff and restarted TNG at the same time a year or two after TNG went off the air. DSN5 would've been the last season of the show, probably . . . and even if not, it'd have been nutty to think otherwise.

The production staff was also making some hints about the end of Season 2 being when everything would suddenly line up (for a change) with canon, which rather sounded like wrapping things up. So, the thesis that S2 was the last was plausible in November. But, however late the S3 announcement (most comparable things had been announced already), the decision to extend STD one more season seemed to exist before early February when they were doing a full-court advertising press and the aforementioned explanation of premiere dates for the other shows came out.

Or, put another way, STD1 was the great experiment, paid for by Netflix. STD2 (after the Short Trek webisode things went nowhere) was somewhat troubled, with CBS footing the bill more (and kicking out the overspenders, leaving Kurtzman to handle it personally). STD3 is floating things, with Kurtzman installing a new, largely untested showrunner until the replacements come online.

Now, if they keep it going alongside the other two, I'd be a bit surprised. However, it isn't like we know the intricate business details (despite folks like Midnight's Edge and Doomcock suggesting they have intel). For comparison, note that the CBS network kept Elementary going another season and a half after spending its fifth season as the network's lowest rated show.

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainmen ... 2016.html/
https://deadline.com/2018/12/elementary ... 202521292/

The business reasons why are in the paragraph about "lucrative off-network and international deals" related to the iconic character. The CBSAA stuff is a similar rationale.

One thing a lot of folks don't seem to realize about ratings and network/streaming business these days is that things don't work like they used to. What would've been obvious insta-death back in the day isn't always so, now. Or, as Culber explained, "I had lucrative off-network deals." ;-)

Sothis
Bridge Officer

Post by Sothis » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:02 pm

*Shrug* in respect of the first paragraph, a simpler explanation is that people like Doomcock and Midnight’s Edge, having monetised their YouTube channels and taking a certain measure of delight in spreading unfounded rumour in order to make a buck, spread lies and deception about inside knowledge when they do not in fact, have any such information. They have played the crowd brilliantly but taken the crowd for gullible fools.

Whatever issues the S31 and Picard show may be facing, it’s not all doom and gloom on those fronts either, and they reinforce the success of DSC, for the interest generated in Star Trek by DSC has prompted the development of new shows that would never have been on the radar otherwise. This is of course, a slightly different way of looking at things.

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:32 pm

I suggested no doom or gloom regarding STP or ST31, merely a lack of readiness.

*Of course* there are different ways of looking at things. Take the new Paramount (JJ-verse) films. One could argue Trek is dead from the fact they can't seem to put the fourth movie together, coupled with the dwindling returns of the last three. Of course, the issue is simply that they have a script requiring two Chrises and aren't willing to pay them enough due to said dwindling returns versus their rising stardoms. The easy solution is a different script or a recast, but movies, even in pre-production, have an inertia, with dollar-signs attached, and with all the CBS Trek afoot it hardly makes sense to rush into anything anyway.

As for CBS Trek, right now that horse is hitched to CBS All Access and vice versa, so barring a major course change in the post-Moonves, post-the-other-one-that-took-over-but-since-left era, they're not going to halt production on their one show generating buzz for the service (positive buzz or negative buzz is all buzz) without a solid replacement on deck. The Picard show partially qualifies, though the 'limited series' aspect (not to mention the actor's age) would give any old-time corporate suit some pause.

Frankly, it'd make more sense to have the Picard show going and keep STD going in the hopes the former drums up support for the latter . . . but instead they're trying to replace Disco as fast as they can. The fact Kurtzman seems to be intending for folks to get out from under STD once the 31 show comes online should be telling you something:

“Well, Erika [Lippoldt] and Bo [Yeon Kim] are writing it now, so we’re breaking story now. And they’re amazing, and they’re a big part of Discovery, so they’re on our staff too. So they’re doing double duty this year, and our hope is that we will have a script in the next couple months, and then as soon as Discovery Season Three is over we’re rolling right into that show. That’s my hope.”

Sothis
Bridge Officer

Post by Sothis » Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:59 pm

Some details have dropped for DSC season three, which are quite exciting and present some interesting opportunities. I won’t post them here (also I don’t know how to), but if you google Discovery Season 3, you can see details of an interview with Kurtzman about the direction of DSC.