An explanation for the Klingon appearance in "Discovery"

For polite and reasoned discussion of Star Wars and/or Star Trek.
MarkusTay
Candidate

Re: An explanation for the Klingon appearance in "Discovery"

Post by MarkusTay » Wed May 18, 2022 10:18 pm

I grew up with the OS, and you think Worf is the 'correct' look? lol

We have tech thats practically magic, and in-universe examples of species changing (I mean, were the Remans even Romulans?) Oh, and best of all, we have an example of the EXACT SAME SPECIES having completely changed before. Like I used to say on the D&D forums (once a nerd, always a nerd) - use the lore to fix the lore.

The Klingons have a large portion of their population of people affected by the 'augment' outbreak. Using logic, these affected individuals were mostly stationed along the Klingon/human border, where their brethren didn't have to look at them (which works in regards to the first two series, chronologically). At some point, we no longer see them, and we only have an offhand comment by Worf that "we do not talk about it". It could be that the 'flaws' got flushed-out in later generations, but thats highly unlikely, since superior genetics tend to breed true. Maybe that population was actually growing? And normal Klingons were feeling threatened that these 'smoothies' were taking their place? Sounds about right for Klingons. All of a sudden, what should have been a small cross-section of Klingons became the dominant form we saw for a whole generation... and then nothing. They were gone. Locked away? Sent to work-camps somewhere so their 'deformity' wouldn't continue to spread? From what little we've seen on the subject in canon, these 'freaks' were an embarrassment to the Klingons.

So they decided to create their own proto-Klingon virus, that would 'reset' these anomalies back to an earlier stage in Klingon DNA. But OOPSIES - they're Klingons, not a brain surgeon! {in my best Doctor voice). It worked, all too well. These are what cave-Klingons looked like thousands of years ago. But instead of making the damn thing something injectable, they made it airborne, AGAIN. Same mistake they made with the augments. It changed EVERYONE. Except for perhaps a few who were immune, either through mixed heritage (B'ellana), or some cocktail of Federation alchemy .

Worf: "Doctor! I need your help! I am going to change and become even lumpier! And loose my rockin' doo! Can you help me?!"

Doctor Bashir: "that would be impossible, the Klingon Medical council has been working on the problem for years... ummm... just give me five minutes."

The real reason? Full-face prosthetics are way faster and cheaper to apply then separate pieces and hours in makeup every day. ;)