Another relatively high FTL speed for ST...

For polite and reasoned discussion of Star Wars and/or Star Trek.
Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Another relatively high FTL speed for ST...

Post by Praeothmin » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:21 pm

In "All Good Things...", when the Klingons escape the E-D, they run half a light year in about than 20 seconds, which I roughly calculated as 788 400c...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... 0R0mdEP5fc
(they start running at 2:40 and at 3:00 the Ops officer states they are still oging, 1/2 LY away)

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Re: Another relatively high FTL speed for ST...

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:37 pm

That sounds about right for the scene.

Reading cuts as continuous is perhaps a little questionable - I've criticized the process elsewhere - but the speed given isn't unreasonable given other incidents. There certainly isn't meant to be a lot of extra time inferred in that situation.

Another point of note in that scene is that they can clearly track them on sensors from half a light year away on that timescale (as well as the unfortunate "warp 13" statement).

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Re: Another relatively high FTL speed for ST...

Post by Praeothmin » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:44 pm

I avoid reading scene cuts as continuous when there is no inference to them being such, but in this case, arguing against it would go against common sense IMO...
There's no sense in showing us one of the Klingon vessels being destroyed, and and the other getting shot at, and then showing us the crew's reaction to these events as happening many minutes later...

Common sense here says the scenes are continuous...