Discovery Shows TDiC-Level Planetary Bombardment

For polite and reasoned discussion of Star Wars and/or Star Trek.
Darth Spock
Bridge Officer

Re: Discovery Shows TDiC-Level Planetary Bombardment

Post by Darth Spock » Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:15 am

359 wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:05 pm
The main tripping points I find with this example are that, first, federation photon torpedoes have been consistently shown to be blue in DIS. Granted this is not the Federation, but we shall see.
A bit late, but I noticed this clip: https://youtu.be/_5jwmSbjfMk?t=1m3s that confirms what 359 noted earlier, that the orange bombardment on Harlak doesn't match with the standard blue torpedoes which are also used by the Charon.

Also, while I think the ISS altitude comparison is a reasonable comparison, it is true that real life video/images taken from orbit often use wide angle lenses that can distort and increase the observed curvature, so that the view seen in the episode could be further away and the continents indeed larger than the overlay I first made over Florida. Again, the difference probably wouldn't be huge, but a comment in another thread about the curvature pissing off Flat Earthers reminded me and I thought I should address it for the sake of completeness and accuracy.

Starship Captain

Re: Discovery Shows TDiC-Level Planetary Bombardment

Post by 2046 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:05 am

We should hopefully be able to find near-Earth reference photos with proper info, but yeah.

https://www.diyphotography.net/camera-g ... e-station/

Then again, DS9 VFX were shot in different ways to achieve illusory depth, so without knowing how STD is done it is a little tricky either way. I'd say the Florida thing is safe enough pending contrary info . . . it isn't like there was anything to suggest something larger. Wasn't it just a single rebel stronghold? They'd hardly need to kill Florida for that.