Thoery Luke Skywalker force project in Star War the last Jed

For polite and reasoned discussion of Star Wars and/or Star Trek.
Jasonbelkin
Padawan

Thoery Luke Skywalker force project in Star War the last Jed

Post by Jasonbelkin » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:41 am

My theory goes he use slimier force power to force ghost project imagine maybe even feel like he is there. He real should used other force push as will. After all we see Vader force chock someone another starship.

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Re: Thoery Luke Skywalker force project in Star War the last Jed

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:36 pm

Jasonbelkin wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:41 am
My theory goes he use slimier force power to force ghost project imagine maybe even feel like he is there. He real should used other force push as will. After all we see Vader force chock someone another starship.
I think I understand your comment here.

There would be two possible answers, I think, to the question of why Luke didn't use some heavy duty Force powers offensively in the duel while projecting.

First, projecting a lifelike image of himself may take a great deal of concentration in and of itself. Darth Vader didn't construct a lifelike illusion of himself, did he?

Second, it may not have been in line with his goals to cause destruction. His obvious goal is to distract and delay the First Order forces while the Resistance escapes; a second goal may have been to plant the seeds of doubt in Kylo Ren's mind in the hopes of turning him. If we look at the parallel of Obi-Wan's death, the eventual outcome wasn't killing Darth Vader back; it was laying the grounds for his eventual redemption and conversion back to the side of the light.

It remains to be seen whether or not Kylo Ren will be redeemed in some fashion at the end of the next episode. I think it's a strong possibility.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:52 pm

Plus we have no idea how tough doing this is, and the amount of concentration needed...
We see him die after using so much power, so to think this is easily accomplished would be foolish, IMO...

Jedi Knight

Post by 359 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:32 pm

We are actually intended to understand that this is a task of great effort, when Kylo Ren comments that Ray can't be making a projection because the effort would kill her this is intended to carry on to what Luke is doing. I missed that on my first watch through, consequently Luke's death felt empty and forced (even now it still does to an extent... but that's another topic). The idea is that he sacrificed himself to save the resistance.

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:09 pm

Praeothmin wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:52 pm
Plus we have no idea how tough doing this is, and the amount of concentration needed...
We see him die after using so much power, so to think this is easily accomplished would be foolish, IMO...
He does die, but he's paralleling Obi-Wan's course.

I feel like what we're seeing in that scene is his deliberate transformation into a Force Ghost. There may be some spiritual key in his pupil intending to deal him a deathblow, if we're going back to a more mystical Force. I'm not saying the force projection is easy - I can buy that he doesn't have enough oomph to do other things at the same time - but I don't think we're looking at death by exhaustion. I think we're looking at deliberate ascension to a Force ghost.

Mark Hamill recently joked he likes to think that Luke teleported to a nudist colony.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:16 pm

Maybe it was th shock of reconnecting to the Force after such a long time being cut off, and the addition of the effort in projecting across the galaxy...