How long Death Squadron remained in Hoth's asteroids field?

For polite and reasoned discussion of Star Wars and/or Star Trek.
Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

How long Death Squadron remained in Hoth's asteroids field?

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:02 pm

Just wondering, is there any clarification on that point from the book?

I'm looking for a set of probable solutions, without relying on shield strenght estimations.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:51 pm

To my knowledge, there isn't any solid reference in the TESB novelization that specifies the amount of time the Imperial fleet spent in the Hoth asteroid belt. The best one might be able to infer is a matter of days based on Luke's training with Yoda on Dagobah up to the point the Falcon and the Avenger exit the asteroid field.

Again, the novelization, like the movie, is very bad when it comes to setting the passage of time. It could be hours or days, or it could even be months.
-Mike

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:35 pm

Well, I'm not sure Solo would have stayed inside the asteroid for months.
Of course, no one really knows anything about the metabolism of the space slug, if it hibernates or what. But if that thing was pretty active, I couldn't picture Solo deciding to camp in that cave for weeks.

After all, when the TIEs pursued the MF, an ISD wasn't far from there.
Then, after a minutes long race through the asteroids, the MF finally shakes all the TIEs and finds a nice spot to sit.

The ISD's range of surveyance would likely be close to that giant asteroid.

It wouldn't take that long for the ISD's fighters and bombers to scan that part of the belt, really.
From the moment the TIE bombers dropped their blue things, the mynoks woke up, and this resulted in Solo shooting the guts of the slug.

That would make the asteroid hide and seek game last a coupel of days, top.

So of course, Luke's initiation on Dagobah seems to take a while, much longer.
But does it, really?

Yoda basically teaches him a couple of thing, has him go in the caaaaave, and flesh out his TK skills.

But seriously, we can't really say that Luke's saber skills were stellar.

I'd settle on a week, maximum.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:46 pm

Actually, while it's possible that what we see initially of the Falcon in the asteroid belt and Luke training with Yoda may be a few days to a week or so, after the Falcon hitches a ride on Avenger, and then lets go and limps her way to Bespin may, in fact, be a number of months worth of time (sublight travel to the Anoat system with relativistic effects). Thus Luke gets time for considerably more training.
-Mike