Skeptical of the Force's Existence?

For polite and reasoned discussion of Star Wars and/or Star Trek.
Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Skeptical of the Force's Existence?

Post by Mike DiCenso » Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:51 pm

Often the whole debate thing gets way too serious, so I decided to post something with a little more humor:

http://home.netcom.com/~rogermw2/force_skeptics.html

Could Han have been right? Is it all just a bunch of "tricks and simple nonsense"?
-Mike

sonofccn
Starship Captain

Post by sonofccn » Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:47 am

Neat site. Makes sense in it's own way.

Count me as a force skeptic :)

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:07 am

I got a big kick out this when I first read it some months ago. I particularly like how the answers to how the Jedi were performing these tricks was even placed within the context of known Star Wars technology... It's not the Force, it's a miniature repulsorlift the Jedi and Sith are using to to trick people into thinking they have a telekinetic power! What a hoot!
-Mike
Last edited by Mike DiCenso on Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AnonymousRedShirtEnsign
Jedi Knight

Post by AnonymousRedShirtEnsign » Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:22 am

Pretty good, I like the quotes put into third person. I however am a believer, especially in light of the Yoda/ Dooku battle in AotC. I always attributed Han's lack of faith to a poor education system, after all he was a kid during the Clone war. Anyway the Vader force choke argument is the weakest. Yes he is intimidating, and he choked Captain Antillies to death with his hands (which is actually evidence against the force), but if someone doesn't believe that the force user is a threat to them (like the admiral on the Death Star), then Vader's powers shouldn't have any affect.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:44 pm

Ah yes, but the article does give an explanation! Notice how Vader actually had to raise his hand up against Motti, whereas with the other officers, he just looked at them and they choked. Clearly Motti was skeptical, which is why Vader had to go to the extra effort. ;-)
-Mike