Death Star II scalings... a few notes.

For polite and reasoned discussion of Star Wars and/or Star Trek.
Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Re: Death Star II scalings... a few notes.

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:37 pm

I never knew about the unretcon. That's awesome. Thanks!

Starship Captain

Re: Death Star II scalings... a few notes.

Post by 2046 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:33 pm

Mr. Oragahn wrote:Notably in this thread, regarding my odd "spinning rim" contraption. The idea is that by looking at McQuarrie's painting, the upper and lower ledges should extend over the same distance, since supposedly there's only one equatorial rim and no sub-trenches, or "steps".
Aahhhhh, I get it now. Yes, the upper left green line in that pic from the first page does indicate too great an angle there on the upper plating . . . that basically, instead of the hull plating being 'square' to the station, it comes from the interior toward the exterior at an angle canting to the left.

Good catch.

In any case, however, there is some curvature visible to the lower side's outer edge . . . perhaps enough to get a diameter from sometime.
The thing is, either McQuarrie screwed up with the lines of perspective (so the horizontal panels that constitue the ledges don't exactly "shoot out" radially from the center of the station like the petals of a sunflower, much more like the bent teeth of a stylized saw disc), or he lower ledge is definitely shorter than the upper one.
I would go with the latter option, myself, simply because the angles don't line up.

Actually, I'd wager that the painter was originally planning not to have the extra greebly bulk above the docking bays. If you remove that in your mind and pretend that the upper panels extend further back to meet the wall the docking bays are set into, it lines up a lot better in that area. But of course, then the left and right sides of the docking bay inset become Escherized at the top.