The Arrow - RotJ HD Caps

For polite and reasoned discussion of Star Wars and/or Star Trek.
Starship Captain

The Arrow - RotJ HD Caps

Post by 2046 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:37 am

I see an Ewok arrow entering the backpack, pulling some leaves along as the dude bends over. Others have always maintained that they see it above (or as he bends over, in front of) the backpack.

What do you see?

Compare those to the old-school pics. Man, lower resolution required so much work. ;)

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:53 am

Definitely planted in the backpack.

I love the first image with the arrow. Really, it's like you want to tell the dude that there's an arrow coming.

Kazeite
Bridge Officer

Post by Kazeite » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:57 am

Yeah, I also see arrow in the backpack, later obscured partially by the leaves.

I remember how in the strek-v-swars forum one guy argued that arrow isn't obscured - it "simply" started to "disintegrate" :)

CrippledVulture
Bridge Officer

Post by CrippledVulture » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:10 pm

The arrow does not seem to penetrate deeply enough into that rather thick part of the backpack to even strike flesh.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:49 pm

CrippledVulture wrote:
The arrow does not seem to penetrate deeply enough into that rather thick part of the backpack to even strike flesh.
It would have to penetrate deep enough, because the kinetic impact would certainly not be enough to bend the guy over like that.
In fact, it would need to have enough force to knock him down, with enough force to stun him, explaining why he didn't get up immediately afterwards if the arrow did not penetrate.

And I remember reading once that one Pro-Wars debater claimed that even if the arrow had penetrated the armor, a Stormtrooper armor was much thicker than a Scout trooper one.
The problem is, if I remember correctly, in one of the technical books (perhaps the equipment ICS for ROTJ), they showed both armors, and the only difference wasn't the thickness of the armor, but the area of coverage on one's body.
Even looking at the ROTJ movie, when both types of troopers are standing near one another, their armor looks kind of the same, except, once more, for the coverage.
Last edited by Praeothmin on Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:55 pm

CrippledVulture wrote:The arrow does not seem to penetrate deeply enough into that rather thick part of the backpack to even strike flesh.
On the same hand, the backpack piece is a rather big element of the suit. The arrow could have not hit the skin unless it went through the whole structure.

However, it's definitively planted inside the armour, there's no doubt on that.

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:04 am

If I was wearing a backpack and something felt like it penetrated it, with a thump on my back and the whole nine yards as I suddenly discovered I was under attack and saw arrows flying, I'd probably duck and squeal like a girl too. ;)

I'm really not so interested in whether it penetrated his skin or to what depth, which is fortunate since it's hard to tell to any exacting standard how long the arrow was, pre-penetration.

My interest is the arrow penetration of the armor itself.

I've also got some old school blurry caps of what was claimed to be an arrow bouncing off of another scout's armor, but upon review I'm not sure that what we see is what was claimed. Will advise.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:21 am

If I was wearing a backpack and something felt like it penetrated it, with a thump on my back and the whole nine yards as I suddenly discovered I was under attack and saw arrows flying, I'd probably duck and squeal like a girl too. ;)
Except he doesn't duck and squeal like a girl, he drops and never comes back up... :)

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:25 am

Praeothmin wrote:
Except he doesn't duck and squeal like a girl, he drops and never comes back up... :)
Ok, so his heart was in his backpack.

The arrow doesn't seem to be lenghty enough to pierce anything of importance inside the body, and not even deep enough to reach halfway through the backpack apparatus.

As for the sheer KE, err... I hardly doubt it was that massive.

Let's say... he fainted.

Kazeite
Bridge Officer

Post by Kazeite » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:02 pm

Or decided to play dead for awhile :)

GStone
Starship Captain

Post by GStone » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:28 am

In the last pic in the series, can anyone else see this thin column of darker gray inside the 'black' of the half eliptical section on top of the backpack that the arrow is almost lined up with? If you look at the direction the arrow is going into the backpack and this thin, dark gray section, it kinda looks like it's a pencil being stuck in a glass of water and we're looking at it from the side.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:10 am

Yes, the same mark used by adversaries to claim that he arrow was actually stuck inside the dark tissue, not the armour.