ISD Bridge Tower - Asteroid Impact from TESB in HD

For polite and reasoned discussion of Star Wars and/or Star Trek.
Starship Captain

ISD Bridge Tower - Asteroid Impact from TESB in HD

Post by 2046 » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:45 pm

Given that only some opponents feel that the ISD's bridge tower was even so much as damaged by the asteroid collision in TESB, do you think this will make any difference?:

http://www.st-v-sw.net/STSWbta.html

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:31 pm

Does it ever?!?!

:)

Nonamer
Jedi Knight

Post by Nonamer » Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:30 pm

It didn't make a difference 5 years ago, it won't today. It's kinda like a creationism vs. evolution argument: one side has already long decided what the correct answers is, so no amount of evidence, no matter how overwhelming, will ever change their thinking.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:06 pm

The Empire Strikes Back is not canon!

GStone
Starship Captain

Post by GStone » Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:26 pm

It'll make them work harder, hopefully. And Mr O., there is only one scene that is canon. And that's of the sexual initiation rite Yoda participated in to indoctrinate Luke on Dagobah into jedi schooling. You don't think Yoda was in Luke's backpack to go along with him on his workouts, do you? It was an outtake.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:26 pm

Given some of the militant pro-Wars' bizarre hatered of you or anything that you do, I doubt that this will make any real impact, though it is a very nice effort.
-Mike

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:27 am

Has the asteroid gotten larger? It looks... meaner.

Trinoya
Security Officer

Post by Trinoya » Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:32 am

I must admit, the clearer veiws allow the entire scene to be analayzed much easier than before. I know a few people who will be quite upset now that they can't simply say that, "I can't truly tell due to the quality..."

It will be good to flash this in front of them.

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:52 pm

Jedi Master Spock wrote:Has the asteroid gotten larger? It looks... meaner.
It's been getting more and more angry and bitter over the years as its reputation as a tower-killer has been maligned. It took to drinking for a time, drunkenly wandering about and bashing into anything it could, (see Nomad), but finally decided the only thing to do was to reprise its role for the HD version to show them once and for all. ;)

Seriously, though, I think it's just the new pics. Here's what I used to have to show it, compared to what I have now . . . looks like it's mostly a matter of more detail and better black level.

Entertainingly enough, I'm pretty sure that's the same rock on the very right of the screen in front of the Executor's trench area.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:59 pm

It's not suprising all that much that that the "tower-killer" asteroid was reused, given the limits of how many asteroid models the ILM staff could reasonably build for use, and have time to film in those pre-CGI days. The asteroid seen to the immediate left of the tower, for instance, is possibly the one the Falcon and pursuing TIEs are seen zipping around during the opening scenes of the asteroid field chase.
-Mike

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:40 pm

Could you imagine imperial captains being afraid of a wild field of shoes and potatoes?

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:21 pm

Ah, but it would be a field of neutronium shoes and potatoes! ;-)
-Mike

GStone
Starship Captain

Post by GStone » Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:04 am

So, what are we thinking are the events of the timeline? Tower gets ripped off, there's damage to the reactor, reactor blows, taking the rest of the ship with it?

l33telboi
Starship Captain

Post by l33telboi » Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:24 am

On SB it was at least commonly accepted that the tower went boom during our last debate involving that scene. There were those who said that you could still see part of the bridge and so on and so forth. But there really isn't all that much you can do when you give pics that have been edited to emphasize on where exactly we should be seeing bits and pieces of the tower sticking through the debris.

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:20 pm

l33telboi wrote:On SB it was at least commonly accepted that the tower went boom during our last debate involving that scene. There were those who said that you could still see part of the bridge and so on and so forth.
The last reference I found from some quick googling was here, where although one guy was holding the line on what the film showed there was another still debating the point. AFAIK both are pro-Wars, so there is at least some internal discord on the matter, but it seems far from settled as of a few months ago.

But, there could be something more recent. It seems SD.Net has been silent on the topic for a long while, so I didn't google too hard on SB.