Base Delta Zero (Disney canon)

For polite and reasoned discussion of Star Wars and/or Star Trek.
Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Base Delta Zero (Disney canon)

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:03 pm

The new era started with the Disney buyout of the Star Wars franchise established with little surprise that whilst Disney kept all the advantages of being able to ignore the old Expanded Universe material from the former enlarged canon, it would not shy away from recyclying as much material as it sees fit.

As such, the much discussed Base Delta Zero makes was logically bound to return. It's an iconic concept well known to hardcore SW fans.

Wookiepedia is constantly updating its database and I must give them my kuddos for going through the entire tedious work.
Their BDZ page will list all new references from the Disney-era canon.

From the Star Wars Rebels: Sabine My Rebel Sketchbook; Sabine Wren, in her private journal
"That 'Base Delta Zero' initiative the Empire keeps talking about? The new 'key to planetary liberation?' Don't believe it. It's a military code phrase, and it means TOTAL EXTERMINATION OF A TARGET POPULATION. It's completely loathsome."
I believe more references of that type will creep in with time.

There also are mentions of it twice in Rebels.
First in the episode Rise of the Old Masters and then Empire Day.
Transcripts.
The first does indeed have a ref to BDZ but it's presented as a positive action according to imperial propaganda.
A quick search for key words in the next episode didn't return anything though.

It's also mentionned in a book but there doesn't seem to be any valuable information to extract from it.

Khas
Starship Captain

Re: Base Delta Zero (Disney canon)

Post by Khas » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:03 am

From what I remember reading, the Imperial Genocide of the Geonosians - which used poison gas, rather than orbital bombardment - was also a "Base Delta Zero" operation. I could be mistaken though.

Iscander
Padawan

Post by Iscander » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:28 am

I was actually in the process of posting the same thing when I saw your post Khas.

If memory serves, I don't believe it was referred to as a BDZ in the episode though. Possibly in another source

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:01 pm

If that's Rebels you're talking about, I've parsed all the transcripts and there's only one episode that mentions Base Delta Zero thus far.
That said Khas, your post brings an interesting fact to the table because based on Sabine's words through her journal, BDZ is now almost just another word for genocide, or more precisely a military order which end goal is the achievement of an extermination against a target(ed) population.

For the moment, gone is the idea that industrial assets or even arable lands need to be destroyed. Even less lakes to be boiled and the crust of a planet turned to molten lava.

Sothis
Bridge Officer

Post by Sothis » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:52 pm

Mr. Oragahn wrote:The new era started with the Disney buyout of the Star Wars franchise established with little surprise that whilst Disney kept all the advantages of being able to ignore the old Expanded Universe material from the former enlarged canon, it would not shy away from recyclying as much material as it sees fit.

As such, the much discussed Base Delta Zero makes was logically bound to return. It's an iconic concept well known to hardcore SW fans.

Wookiepedia is constantly updating its database and I must give them my kuddos for going through the entire tedious work.
Their BDZ page will list all new references from the Disney-era canon.

From the Star Wars Rebels: Sabine My Rebel Sketchbook; Sabine Wren, in her private journal
"That 'Base Delta Zero' initiative the Empire keeps talking about? The new 'key to planetary liberation?' Don't believe it. It's a military code phrase, and it means TOTAL EXTERMINATION OF A TARGET POPULATION. It's completely loathsome."
I believe more references of that type will creep in with time.

There also are mentions of it twice in Rebels.
First in the episode Rise of the Old Masters and then Empire Day.
Transcripts.
The first does indeed have a ref to BDZ but it's presented as a positive action according to imperial propaganda.
A quick search for key words in the next episode didn't return anything though.

It's also mentionned in a book but there doesn't seem to be any valuable information to extract from it.
I suppose in one twisted sense it is indeed 'planetary liberation' - they're liberating a planet of its pesky and troublesome population! It's hard to see how the Empire could spin such an act as a positive one.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:31 pm

Dunno. I guess the same way the United States bring "freedom" across the world. :P