What could be hypermatter?

For polite and reasoned discussion of Star Wars and/or Star Trek.
Who is like God arbour
Starship Captain

What could be hypermatter?

Post by Who is like God arbour » Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:03 pm

I have asked this question, because I wondered, what exactly hypermatter could be.

It is - as far as I know - not a term mentioned in the films or their novelisations. It emanate from the EU.
  • Wookieepedia says, that hypermatter is tachyonic matter, which gets annhiliated as it accelerated to infinite speed within a reactor.
    • I don't understand this. The speed of a tachyon increases as its energy decreases [1]. As far as I understand this, a tachyon with infinite speed would have no energy.
      Even if I accept, that the only theoretical and controversial tachyons really exist, they wouldn't release energy, when they annhiliate each other at infinite speed - as far as I understand it.
    And even if I accept, that the only theoretical and controversial tachyons really exist and are releasing energy, when they anhilate each other at infinite speed, how could one use tachyonic matter as fuel? How does one handle it, store it, decant it etc.?
But what could it be?

If there were such a thing like stable neutronium and anti-neutronium, it seems, that a cube, about 14.01 m on a side, would be sufficient to release enough energy to destroy a whole planet. The Death Star would be big enough for this volume.

I think, there is no matter with a higher density than neutronium possible.

On the other hand, it is not a fuel, with which every Tom, Dick and Harry should be able to deal with.

What do you think about hypermatter?

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:57 pm

Some have theorized that it could be similar to Omega particles in ST.
I've seen this discussed on SB.com I believe...