Regarding EU:NJO

For polite and reasoned discussion of Star Wars and/or Star Trek.
Sunburst
Padawan

Post by Sunburst » Wed May 09, 2007 4:18 am

SailorSaturn13 wrote: Compare with "The phaser was set on maximum.The man just... incinerated". We see that SW fighter lasers are on par with ST phasers.
Technically, General Grievous was incinerated by a hand laser. It's all perspective. Both types of weapons are lethal.

Vaporization effects are up to interpretation on both sides on how much power was used. Phasers are sort of like the magic wand of star trek and blasters are just hand guns.

I'm not sure how you can equate both effects. For example. A tree can be cut down with both a chainsaw and a bulldozer yet one is more powerful. Both tools are different in their approach and just as effective in completing the task. The example is also just as vague as the blasters/phasers example.

And a diffinition for you:

Alloy:
http://www.engr.sjsu.edu/WofMatE/Metals&Alloys.htm wrote:An alloy is a metal composed of more than one element. Engineering alloys include the cast-irons and steels, aluminum alloys, magnesium alloys, titanium alloys, nickel alloys, zinc alloys and copper alloys. For example, brass is an alloy of copper and zinc.
A titanium alloy is a metal partially made up of titanium. It's the author saying that the hull is built with a strong metal while being vague.

l33telboi
Starship Captain

Post by l33telboi » Wed May 09, 2007 8:06 am

When it comes to the vaping done by the fighters, a minimum would be something in the high megajoules, though i doubt we would be entering gigajoule range, at least not based on this description alone.

SailorSaturn13
Bridge Officer

Post by SailorSaturn13 » Wed May 09, 2007 9:03 am

Again Ch 18, p 291
when one insect zipped out of the harm's way, he [Anakin] followed it down and to the side catching uo and just ahead, and - whump - blowing it ti little pieces
Oh, that's all the quad-turrets of Falcon can do? No vaporising, just pieces? Even if we assume this insect is as hard as metal, it cannot be bigger than a Tie.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Wed May 09, 2007 4:36 pm

Sunburst wrote:
I'm not sure how you can equate both effects. For example. A tree can be cut down with both a chainsaw and a bulldozer yet one is more powerful. Both tools are different in their approach and just as effective in completing the task. The example is also just as vague as the blasters/phasers example.
I agree, they are both different in their approach, and the "incinerated man" example is too vague, for we have no clue as to what setting the phaser was.

But I have to (partially) disagree with:
Technically, General Grievous was incinerated by a hand laser. It's all perspective. Both types of weapons are lethal.
In truth, Grevious' internal organs were incinerated by several blaster shots.
But I agree that both type of weapons are lethal, and I wouldn't want to get shot by any of them... ;)

Sunburst
Padawan

Post by Sunburst » Wed May 09, 2007 6:23 pm

Praeothmin wrote:
In truth, Grevious' internal organs were incinerated by several blaster shots.
But I agree that both type of weapons are lethal, and I wouldn't want to get shot by any of them... ;)
True, there was only fleshy incineration.

Estrecca
Padawan

Post by Estrecca » Fri May 18, 2007 10:37 am

Interesting effort. The quotes that follow come from Edge of Victory I: Conquest.

PROLOGUE
That was an understatement. Approaching along the tide embankment was a mob of around fifty Aqualish, jostling each other and shouting hoarsely. Most carried makeshift weapons-clubs, knives, rocks-but a few had force pikes and at least one had a blaster, as the smoking score on the quay testified.
[...]
"You can't hold them off yourself, sir."
"I think I can. Besides, I need to try to talk to them. This is senseless."
Dorsk 82, a Jedi Knight, considers that he can hold off a mob of fifty civilians with a hodgepodge of weapons.
Almost surprisingly, he didn't. His training with Master Skywalker had been fretted with attacks of panic. Dorsk was the eighty-second clone of the first Khommite to bear his name. He'd grown up on a world well satisfied with its own peculiar kind of perfection, and that hadn't prepared him for danger, or fear, or even the unexpected. There were times when he believed he could never be as brave as the other Jedi students or live up to the standard set by his celebrated predecessor, Dorsk 81.
Advanced cloning technology existed centuries before the Kaminoans made the Grand Army of the Republic, although the Khommites might have hoarded their knowledge.
This time he saw the blaster lift-held by an Aqualish deep in the crowd. Dorsk grasped it with the Force and whisked it through the air until it came to rest in his left hand.
Dorsk can do the basic telekinetic tricks...
"I see," the officer said. "That's your ship?"
"Yes."
"Are there any other Jedi on board?"
"No."
"Very well." The officer spoke into a small comlink, too low for Dorsk to hear, but the clone suddenly sensed what was about to happen.
"No!" he shouted. He spun on his heel and ran toward the ship, but even as he did so, several flares of light too bright to look upon struck it. A column of white flame leapt toward the sky, carrying with it the fragments and ions that had once been his ship, his pilot Hhen, and thirty-eight droids.
Dorsk was still watching, mouth working soundlessly at the pointless destruction, when the stun baton hit him.
He fell, turning that same uncomprehending stare on his attackers. The officer he'd been speaking to stood there, holding the baton.
...but his precognitive abilities suck, to put it bluntly. He wasn't dealing with Vong here and he still failed to foresee both the attack that destroyed his ship and failed to react to being attacked with the stun gun.

Also, the explosion that destroyed the Jedi ship can't be all that big, considering that there were several dozen non-Jedi individuals within walking distance of the craft and no one was injured.
Dorsk 82 summoned the Force, washed away the pain and paralysis of the blast, and stood.
At least, Dorsk can use the Force to shake off the effects of this stun gun.
"I'm walking away from here," Dorsk said with a slight wave of his hand. "You will not stop me."
"No," the officer said. "I won't stop you."
"Nor will any of the rest of you."
Dorsk 82 started forward. One of the troopers, more strong willed than the others, lifted his blaster in a shaking hand.
"Don't," Dorsk pleaded. He held out his hand.
The blaster bolt grazed Dorsk in the palm, and he stepped back, but the action shook the other troopers from the suggestion he had placed in their minds. The next shot seared a hole through his thigh. He dropped to his knees.
This Jedi also knows the old Jedi Mind Trick, but is either less skilled than Obi-Wan Kenobi and/or run into a grunt with a good deal of willpower. It could also be that trying to work with a large group that has murderous intent is harder than tricking a random Stormtrooper looking for a couple droids.
Long-range sensors showed a craft dead in space, medium transport-sized. It ought to be the Winning Hand, a pleasure craft that had made a jump from the Corellian sector and vanished somewhere en route. The Hand's jump had taken her dangerously near Obroa-skai, which was now in Yuuzhan Vong space. Though they hadn't moved overtly on any planets since the fall of Duro, the Yuuzhan Vong had been setting up occasional dovin basal interdictors near their space, yanking from hyperspace ships bold or careless enough to approach their somewhat fuzzy borders. Most were never found again, but the Winning Hand had managed to get off a garbled transmission placing them along the Perlemian Trade Route not far from the Meridian sector. That was still a lot of space, but search and rescue had been Uldir's business for the past six years. At the ripe old age of twenty-two, he was one of the best fliers in the corps.
At this point in the war, the Yuuzhan Vong are disrupting hyperlanes with dovin basals. Also, Uldir's ability to locate this lost ship with such vague references (that probably leave a lot of cubic light years of space to search) might suggest that the rescue ship has superluminal sensors of some kind. It could also mean that Uldir's latent Force potential helps a lot.
Uldir gave his copilot a sidewise glance. Doc seemed a little nervous, which was odd. Not that he had the steadiest nerves in the unit, but he was no coward. Maybe it was because they were out so far without backup. The war had forced everyone to spread resources thin.
Self-explanatory. The effort to fight the Yuuzhan Vong invasion have almost exhausted New Republic resources at this point.
Dacholder sighed. "I'm giving you a three-count, Uldir."
"Don't, Doc."
"One."
"I won't go with them."
"Two."
"Please."
"Thr-"
He never got it out. By the time he got to the end of the word, Dacholder was in vacuum, twenty meters away and still accelerating. Uldir sealed the cockpit back up, ears popping and face tingling from his brief brush with nothingness. He glanced at the missing acceleration couch.
Even if he prepared himself for the event, the fact that Uldir survives with only minor problems exposure to hard vacuum and the cold of space suggests some superhuman toughness.
The Yuuzhan Vong standing above her must have been way up the food chain, because he looked like he had fallen into a bin of vibroblades. Scales the color of dried blood covered most of his body, and some sort of cloak hung from his shoulders. The latter twitched, slowly.
And like the other Yuuzhan Vong, he wasn't there. If he had been Twi'lek or human or Rodian, she might have stopped his heart with the Force or snapped his neck against the ceiling. Dark side or not, she would have done it and rid the galaxy of him forever.
In addition to old information about the Vong immunity against the Force, this suggests that a Jedi knows how to stop the heart of a human or break necks with the Force, but that doing so would be considered the actions of a Darksider.

Estrecca
Padawan

Post by Estrecca » Fri May 18, 2007 10:54 am

PART ONE PRAXEUM

CHAPTER ONE
"It's both ourselves and the galaxy I'm trying to preserve," Luke said. "If we win the fight against the Yuuzhan Vong at the price of using dark-side powers, it will be no victory."
Kyp rolled his eyes and crossed his arms. "I knew it was a mistake to come here," he said. "Every second I waste talking with you is a torpedo I might be firing at the Yuuzhan Vong."
"If you knew that, why did you come?"
"Because I thought even you must see the pattern on the Huj mat by now, Master Skywalker. After months of doing nothing, of watching our numbers dwindle, of listening to the lies circulating about the Jedi from the Rim to the Core, I thought now, at last, you had decided it was time to act. I came, Master Skywalker, to hear you say enough is enough, to lead the Jedi, united, in a just cause. Instead I hear only the same vacillating I've grown tired of."
Self-explanatory. The Vong invasion triggered a major rift in the Jedi Order, with some factions (such as those led by Kyp Durron) openly defying Luke's authority.
"I did. He didn't say anything I was interested in, and he wasn't going to." Kyp shook his head. "Your uncle has changed. Something happens to Jedi Masters as they grow older in the Force. Something that isn't going to happen to me. They become so concerned with light and dark they can't act, but can only be acted upon. Like Obi-Wan Kenobi-rather than act himself, he allowed himself to be struck down, become one with the Force, so Luke could then take all of the moral risks."
This is 100% speculation, but still it is a fascinating idea. Jedi Masters that grow so used to following the guidance of the Force that they are unable (or at least unwilling) to act in times of uncertainty. Still, Luke has been particularly dodgy in the matter of responsabilities for a long time and he actually tried to become a Yoda-style hermit in the days of the Black Fleet Crisis.
"What about the illusion the Jedi have been maintaining around Yavin Four? That's been keeping strangers away."
"Not since almost all of the Jedi Knights have left," Anakin said. "They've either come to Coruscant to this meeting, or gone off to try to help comrades who've disappeared. Last I heard, only the students Kam and Tionne are left, with maybe Streen, and Master Ikrit. They might not be strong enough. Where did Uncle Luke go? We should talk to him about this, right away. It may already be too late."
The Jedi created a massive illusion cloaking Yavin 4 to protect their academy, but the illusion cannot be sustained with only a Jedi Master and a few other Jedi. Still, this suggests that creating smaller illusions should be possible for lone Jedi.

CHAPTER TWO
Luke Skywalker sank into a chair in his study, ran his hand across his brow, and stared out at the night, or what passed for it on Coruscant, the hundred shades of nightglow, shimmering lanes of aircars and transports, bright-studded skyhook tethers lancing toward the unseeable stars. How many thousands of years had passed since anyone had seen a star in the night sky of this city world?
Coruscant has apparently been in its current state of planetary city for several thousand years. Also, the existence of several skyhooks might give some information about construction materials in use in the GFFA.
"Yes. But most children aren't Jedi adepts. Most children aren't as strong in the Force as Anakin, or as inclined to use it. Did you know when he was a boy, he once killed a giant snake by stopping its heart with the Force?"
Proving that the ability mentioned above can actually be used by Jedi and cannot be all that difficult if an untrained Jedi kid can do it out of instinct.
"I don't know. I've seen a future. Several futures. However this ends with the Yuuzhan Vong, it won't be me that ends it, or Kyp, or any of the older Jedi. It will be someone new."
"Anakin?"
"I don't know. I'm afraid to even talk about it. Every word spreads, puts ripples in the Force for every person who hears it, changes things. I'm starting to know how Yoda and Ben felt. Watching, trying to guide, hoping I'm not wrong, that I'm seeing clearly, that there is such a thing as wisdom and that I'm not just fooling myself."
So much for long term precognition. The Yuuzhan Vong invasion causes so many changes that even a Jedi Master of Luke's power and experience can only see potential scenarios. In short, the Force can show you what is going to happen... but it is much more likely that you will see something that just might happen.

SailorSaturn13
Bridge Officer

Post by SailorSaturn13 » Sat May 19, 2007 3:13 am

In short, the Force can show you what is going to happen... but it is much more likely that you will see something that just might happen.
Actually, good. If you cannot change future, what use does the prediction?

Self-explanatory. The Vong invasion triggered a major rift in the Jedi Order, with some factions (such as those led by Kyp Durron) openly defying Luke's authority.
It was discovered that Dark side could damage Wong, indirectly. For example one could create an air stall around a Wong warrior, choking it.
This is 100% speculation, but still it is a fascinating idea. Jedi Masters that grow so used to following the guidance of the Force that they are unable (or at least unwilling) to act in times of uncertainty. Still, Luke has been particularly dodgy in the matter of responsabilities for a long time and he actually tried to become a Yoda-style hermit in the days of the Black Fleet Crisis.
In "Shatterpoint", Windu explains just this. Force guides him, and let him kill Fett, instead of Dooku.

More interesting is that this is a main difference between a light- and darksider.

A lightsider commits his wish to the force (e.g. "Hit exhaust point"), then lets go, allowing the force to guide him. this allows him to do those things like blaster deflection while leaving him intact. But, if the force refuses to guide, or guides wrong the lightsider will be lost: either he won't react good enough - that's why Jedi couldn't resis the Purge - the Force betrayed them - or he will do a thing he actually didn't want - like Windu letting Dooku escape.

A darksider, in turn, usurps the force, making it to do whatever he wants. The force retailates by invading and subverting his mind over time, until the man becomes a mere vessel of the Dark Side. This situation is an inverse of Light Side: the Force obeys the Darksider in concrete, but the general "Objectives" for handling are now dictated by the DArk Side.

Estrecca
Padawan

Post by Estrecca » Mon May 21, 2007 11:39 am

CHAPTER THREE
When the stars rushed back into existence, Anakin put his XJ X-wing into a lazy tumble and cut power to everything but sensors and minimal life support. Ordinarily he wouldn't play it so cautious; after all, someone would almost have to be watching for the hyperwave ripples of an X-wing entering the system to have any chance of detecting it. But given the feeling in his gut, there might just be someone doing that.
The hyperspace-realspace reversion creates "hyperwave ripples" that can be detected and warn about the arrival of hypercraft (even one as small as an X-Wing starfighter), but powering down most systems lessens the chance of detection.
The planet Yavin filled most of his view, its vast orange oceans of gas boiling into fractal, elusive patterns. Its familiar face had marked the days and nights of much of his childhood. The praxeum-his uncle Luke's Jedi academy-was located on Yavin 4, a moon of the gas giant. He could remember watching Yavin in the night sky, a colossal mirage of a planet, wondering what could be there, pushing his evolving Force senses to explore it.
He'd found clouds of methane and ammonia deeper than oceans, hydrogen so stressed by pressure it became metal, life crushed thinner than paper but still thriving, cyclones heavier than lead but faster than the winds of any world habitable by humans. And crystals, sparkling Corusca gems climbing those titan winds, spinning in an ancient dance, capturing what light they could find in the thinner upper atmosphere and gripping it tight in their molecules.
He saw none of this as one might with eyes, of course, but over the nights, through the Force he had felt them, and with references to the library gradually understood them.
Force-sensitives can use the Force to "perceive" non-living things (winds, gas clouds, crystals) from a distance of several hundred thousand kilomteres minimum, but the information cannot be understood without background knowledge. This suggests that the input provided by this remote sensory power is not visual.
In his imagination he had seen more. Pieces of the first Death Star, which had met its end in these very skies, pounded into monomolecular foil by fierce pressure and gravity. Older things, relics of Sith, and species even more lost and distant in time. Once a planet like Yavin swallowed a secret, it wasn't likely to give it up again. Given the other secrets that had turned up in the Yavin system- and the Sun Crusher Kyp Durron himself had once managed to pull from the belly of the orange giant-that was for the best.
Reference of a fairly high end Force feat. Kyp Durron (powerful for NJO Jedi standards) aided by the Force ghost of Exar Kun (powerful ancient Sith) managed to use telekinesis to pull the Suncrusher out of the depths of a gas giant.

I don't know how to calculate this, but surface gravity would be the very minimum and using Jupiter's (despite Yavin being considerably bigger), Durron would have had to generate at the very least 25,000 Newtons/ton. Unfortunately the total mass is unknown, but the minimum figure is likely to be well into the meganewtons of force.
They tumbled into sensor range, and his computer built a silhouette from the magnified image.
"That's not so bad," he murmured. "One Corellian light transport. Maybe it is one of Karrde's bunch." Or maybe not. And maybe there were a hundred Yuuzhan Vong ships on the other side of the gas giant or Yavin 4, invisible to his Jedi senses and hidden from his sensors. Whatever the case, waiting around wasn't going to improve matters. He powered up, corrected his tumble, and engaged the ion engines.
[...]
He dropped toward Yavin 4 and the transport at full thrust, spinning and dancing as he went, and when he felt his target firmly enough in the Force, he sliced the night of vacuum with ruby red. The transport returned fire and began its own evasive maneuvers, but that was like a bantha trying to dodge a mace fly.
They had good shields, though. As Anakin completed his first pass, his opponent was still essentially untouched. To make matters more interesting, four winks of blue flame and his instruments agreed that the transport had just fired proton torpedoes at him. Anakin had been preparing to turn for another pass; instead he continued his noseward plunge toward the moon.
"Four proton torpedoes. These guys really don't like us, Fiver."
the transport seems hostile, Fiver acknowledged. Anakin sighed. Fiver was a more advanced astromech than R2-D2, but he missed his uncle's droid's personality at times. Maybe he ought to do something about that.
Two laser blasts hit his shields in quick succession, but they did their job. On his tracker, the proton torpedoes continued to close as Anakin met resistance from the atmosphere. He plunged on, and the ship began to vibrate faintly. His nose and wings were starting to heat up from the upper atmosphere. If he didn't time this exactly right, he would scatter all over the jungle kilometers below.
The sensors of an advanced model of X-Wing fighter would not be able to detect a Vong fleet hiding in the opposite side of a planet. Also, this lone fighter is a more or less credible threat against a Corellian light freighter (like the Millenium Falcon?) and can survive a couple hits from the laser guns of said freighter (likely to be far less powerful than the Falcon's that Han Solo stole from the military), but proton torpedoes are regarded as Really Bad News.
When the lead torp was almost on him, he cut his engines and yanked the nose up. The atmosphere, still thin, was nevertheless able to give the XJ X-wing a good strong slap, hurling him away from the moon. Servos whined and something somewhere made a startling ping. Using the momentum from the atmospheric skip, Anakin turned further spaceward, blood rushing from his head as the g's mounted, then he kicked in the engines again.
Behind him, the proton torpedoes didn't fare as well. They tried to turn after him, of course. Two didn't make it, and continued plunging moonward. The other two skipped along wildly different courses than Anakin and would never find him again before running out of fuel.
"Nice try," Anakin said grimly. Now he was climbing uphill, out of the gravity well, his lasers pumping a steady rhythm. He took another hit from the enemy's more powerful gun, and for an instant the lights dimmed in the cockpit. Then they flared back to life as Fiver rerouted, and Anakin took a hammer to the transport. Their shields faltered, and he slagged their primary generator. Looping around them nose to tail, he drilled laser turrets, torpedo ports, and engines.
The freighter shields, hurt after Anakin's first attack run, collapse after the second round and the fighter can blast weapons and engines with impunity. I might be wrong, but the description of this doesn't seem to match with the "heat sink" shield model advocated by the ICS.
HYPERSPACE JUMP DETECTED. 12 VESSELS HAVE ARRIVED, DISTANCE 100,000 KILOMETERS.
"Sith spit!" Anakin muttered, bringing his sensors to bear.
They weren't Yuuzhan Vong ships, he saw that immediately, just a motley collection of E-wings, transports, and corvettes.
They were hailing him. He opened the link.
"Unidentified vessel, this is the Peace Brigade," a voice
crackled. "Stand down and surrender, and you won't be harmed."
They were too far away to hit him. Soon they wouldn't be. Anakin closed his S-foils, rolled, opened the throttle, and raced toward the distant viridian of Yavin 4.
The aforementioned X-Wing sensors can detect with ease incoming ships from a distance of one hundred thousand kilometers and even identify the type of craft. At the same time, it is plainly stated that one hundred thousand kilometers is outside the effective weapons range for all these ships, although not by a lot.
"I came against orders, actually," Anakin corrected. "That's not important now. Getting the students to safety, that is."
"Of course," Kam agreed. "How long before the Peace Brigade can land?"
"An hour? Not long."
As soon as he saw the enemy, Anakin headed at best speed for the Praxeum, so he should have kept at least the initial advantage of one hundred thousand kilometers. If the Peace Brigade needs about an hour to cross that distance, while decelerating to enter the planetary atmosphere, their results are going to be in the order of 1.5 g. Not particularly awe-inspiring, even if that is only a very low end. If they had thousands of gravities worth of acceleration, then the distance could be crossed in a little over two minutes (141 seconds, to be accurate).

l33telboi
Starship Captain

Post by l33telboi » Mon May 21, 2007 8:12 pm

Oh dear, seems as if i kinda forgot about this thread. As it is, i've read most of the next novel in line, but i paused briefly to wade through a few Starcraft novels. In any case, i'll post my findings when i've read the next novel, shouldn't take too long.

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Tue May 22, 2007 4:50 pm

Estrecca wrote:I don't know how to calculate this, but surface gravity would be the very minimum and using Jupiter's (despite Yavin being considerably bigger), Durron would have had to generate at the very least 25,000 Newtons/ton. Unfortunately the total mass is unknown, but the minimum figure is likely to be well into the meganewtons of force.
Yavin is bigger than Jupiter? Ah. I see Wizards of the Coast give it a diameter of 4/3 Jupiter's - i.e., almost the biggest gas giant we're aware of by size. Those figures also include surface gravity for Yavin - good for you, otherwise we could actually have less "surface gravity" than Jupiter. Local gravity for Yavin is given as 4x Earth's - 39 kN/kg.

So if you want to work with the EU, you can get very good figures from ANH, and get better figures for this particular force pull. (Note to self: Update page to display MOEs appropriately and expand range of possible gas giant diameters.) A surface gravity of 4.0 g, if measured at a ~100,000 km radius, gives a mass of 2.8 Jupiters.

Estrecca
Padawan

Post by Estrecca » Wed May 23, 2007 9:32 am

CHAPTER FOUR
"Not as ready as I would like. Ten more minutes would have been nice. I could have brought the automated defenses of the power generator on-line."
"Tell me what you have done."
"Well, I've got an energy shield up, though not much of one, and it's only over the compound. A little pounding will bring it down." Anakin switched on the intercom. Faint sounds of speech and movement bustled around them. "It'll sound like a bunch of us are in here. And this-" He went to what had once been the local sensor control panel. "-I'm using the old sensory array to generate the illusion of small, local movements in the temple."
"Scurrying," Ikrit said. "As if we're running about."
"Right. Of course, they won't see anything, if they get close, but their instruments will tell them we're all over the place."
Anakin, the wonder kiz, built this makeshift defense in the time the Peace Brigade ships took to land, using the materials left behind after Yavin 4 ceased to be the Rebel headquarter. It is vaguely interesting that the sensor array can be used to feed enemy equipment false information. This suggests that sensors might double as jammers for ships.
"That's the biggest trough of bantha fodder I've ever heard anyone spit up in my life," Anakin said. "You are cowards and traitors. You want us? Come and get us."
He fired his blaster through the narrow window and ducked as return fire heat-spalled the ancient stone. Particle shields like the one he had erected did nothing to stop energy blasts. The thick jungle air filled with the hiss and whine of blasters as the fire expanded to other parts of the temple complex.
"What are they shooting at up there?" Anakin wondered aloud.
"Ghosts of mist and madness," Ikrit told him.
"They don't notice no one is shooting back?"
"How long can you keep that up?"
"Longer if the occasional bolt is real."
Two interesting things here. First, the distinction between energy and particle shielding. Second, the ability of Ikrit (ancient cute Jedi Master, former student of Yoda) to create and sustain illusions for some time.
"It's okay," Anakin said. "We're almost done here. Even after it's down they'll come in cautiously. We'll have plenty of time to get to the hangar and get my X-wing out. Then all we have to do is run their little blockade." He'd noticed three of the five ships had landed facing the closed hangar doors. No surprise there, but what they didn't know was that one of the ion cannons that guarded the hangars was still operational-and had a self-contained power supply good for at least a blast or two.
Ion cannons (or at least some ion cannons) have capacitors that can store energy for a few shots. The yield is not specified, but considering that Anakin plans to fire it inside an atmosphere, against nearby ships, the yield can't be very high at all.
The door opened on the muzzles of six blasters. Anakin didn't think. He'd already slapped the "down" button- now he leapt into the midst of his enemies, blocking the first two blaster bolts with his weapon and sending them burning back through the press. He cut a blaster rifle in half and spun. Shouting in alarm, his attackers gave ground, trying to find a range where they could use their weapons. Two came at him with stun batons. He leapt and whirled, disarming one with a cut that took several fingers and another that sheared the baton in half. He felt another blow coming, one he wasn't quite fast enough to avoid
When he landed, he was facing another lightsaber, its blade a vibrant blue.
Behind it-gripping it and grinning fiercely-was Tahiri. She'd just slashed the force pike in half that had almost impaled him.
Anakin (who is a very, very good and powerful Jedi, despite his age) can barely handle six well armed goons in close quarters. It should be noted, however, that he was trying to avoid killing anyone and this probably hampered his fighting.
Then he squared his shoulders and faced the Peace Brigaders who were warily regrouping about two meters away. "You don't stand a chance," Anakin told them. " I've been trying not to hurt you. That ends with the next person who fires a weapon at me."
"They can't get all of us," a woman in front said. She had a seamed brown face and dark eyes.
"Of course we can," Anakin said.
"All of us?" She smirked. From behind her came the sound of what could only be reinforcements.
Anakin hit the woman, hard, with a telekinetic shove that took all of her companions down, too. Then he whirled and made four quick slashes that opened a gaping hole into the turbolift shaft.
Self-explanatory. Although telekinesis against living things is a rarity in the movies, it is more of a moral matter and it can be done even against several targets at the same time.

CHAPTER FIVE
Anakin reached to Tahiri through the Force, and for an instant met a wall as hard as the stone of the temple. Then she reached back, and they clicked as if they had never been apart, so intensely that it actually frightened him. They fell in a sort of acrobatic dance, Anakin using the Force to slow Tahiri's fall and she slowing his as they spun around a common fulcrum somewhere between them, like two children clasping hands and leaning back, turning around on their feet. If either let go, the other would go whirling off, out of control.
An old game, one they had invented long ago.
He noticed something was falling with them—a pair of glop grenades. He sent them humming back up the shaft and out the hole he had cut.
The two young Jedi touched down, feather light, on top of the turbolift.
An interesting form of slowing down during a freefall, although this is apparently a special skill developed and used only by Tahiri and Anakin, that can only be used when they combine their powers. Although it seems to demand them to concentrate, Anakin can still use telekinesis to push those grenades upwards.
She did, flattening against the lift walls as blasterfire poured through the hole above them. Another grenade plinked against the lift floor.
"There. Throw that back at them," Anakin said.
The grenade whizzed back up the hole. "Why didn't you do it?" Tahiri asked.
"Because I'm holding the lift car up."
Above them, the glop grenade went off, and Anakin let gravity have the car.
However, when he has to lift a heavy thing, he can't spare the small force needed to throw the grenades up the lift hole. Either he can only use TK for one thing at a time or holding the lift car was pushing him to his limits.
Anakin shut his lightsaber down, made his way to the controls, and looked them over. They weren't that different from those on the Millennium Falcon, his father's ship.
Vehn cleared his throat. "I just remembered. Before you engage the repulsorlift you have to enter a clearance code."
"Really? Or what happens?"
"The cabin will sort of electrify."
Self-explanatory. Cute security system for a freighter ship. Apparently, this kind of thing is not that unusual in ships belonging to smugglers, as Anakin was interrogating the pilot about such traps.

Estrecca
Padawan

Post by Estrecca » Wed May 23, 2007 10:07 am

CHAPTER SIX
Talon Karrde clasped his hands beneath his goatee and studied the scene on the Wild Karrde's command deck viewscreen through pale blue eyes.
"Well, Shada," he told the striking woman at his right hand, "it appears that our baby-sitting chore has become somewhat more . . . interesting than anticipated."
"I would say so," Shada D'ukal replied. "The sensor shroud shows at least seven ships in orbit around Yavin Four and another six on the surface."
"None of them are Yuuzhan Vong, I take it."
"No. A mixed bag, but I'd lay odds that they are Peace Brigade."
"Gambling is a foolish occupation," Karrde said. "I want to know. And I want to know what they're doing." He ticked his finger against the armrest. "I knew we should have found some way to leave sooner. Skywalker was right." He sighed and leaned forward, studying the long-range sensors.
"There's some sort of firefight on the surface, yes, H'sishi?"
The sensors in Karrde's ship appear to be the best seen so far in this book. They can detect a firefight in Yavin's surface, even when the planet is still a "dark disk" (suggesting a distance of several planetary diameters, at least).
Karrde pointed at Yavin 4, at the moment a dark disk silhouetted against the larger orange profile of its primary. "So I want to be there, now. Dankin, keep full cloak, but let me know when they notice us."
"Of course, sir."
That point came an hour later, when they were almost sitting on the nearest of the orbiting ships.
"They're hailing us, sir," Dankin told him. "And powering up weapons."
Karrde apparently wants to be in Yavin ASAP, but still needs an hour to cross a distance that can't have been that great in astronomical terms (below millions of kilometers, probably).

Perhaps this has to do with his orders to "keep full cloak". This cloak, that appears to be more like a very good stealth system, may be invalidated if the ship moves at high speeds, with higher energy outputs.

Of course, this is pure speculation and the one thing we know for sure about this "cloak" is that it can fool SW sensors unless you happen to be very close to the enemy sensors.
"I could," Imsatad acknowledged. "What exactly can you offer me?"
"Better sensors than you have, for one thing. Detailed knowledge of Yavin Four that I believe you lack. A crew that is very, very good at finding things. Certain special defenses against Jedi-and the means of finding them."
Imsatad stiffened, and his voice dropped low. "I was with Thrawn at Wayland. You still?. . ."
"Ah. You know what I mean, then."
Karrde is pretty damn sure that his sensors are better than those of the competence. Also, it seems that ysalamiri are a bit of a rarity, considering that would-be Jedi hunters that know about them don't have them.

CHAPTER SEVEN
Something dark was eclipsing the morning light.
"Sith spawn. They've moved one of the big freighters over the hole."
"Continue," Master Ikrit murmured.
"But-"
"Continue." The diminutive Master was crouched on the floor, eyes closed, his voice a serene purr. Anakin felt a powerful surge in the Force.
"You should strap in, Master."
"No time."
Anakin nodded. "As you say, Master Ikrit." He throttled up. Banging, sparking, and shaking, they shot up toward the belly of their enemy.
"He's pushing it up," Tahiri said in awe. "Master Ikrit is pushing the freighter up."
And indeed, when they emerged, rather than sitting right over the hole, the freighter was some eighty meters off the ground. Its thrusters were burning, pushing it down, but it wasn't budging. Anakin darted his gaze about. The other ships and people on foot had sidled in on all sides but one, so he cut toward the hole as a brutal barrage struck them.
Ikrit makes an impressive show of Force telekinesis. He lifts a "large freighter", overpowering its still functioning engines. That means that he is resisting an acceleration of no less than two gravities (potentially much higher, depending on the engine power of the freighter), giving a minimum force generation of twenty kilonewtons per metric ton.

The mass of the freighter is unknown, but considering that it must be bigger than the Millenium Falcon, it must be at least in the order of a hundred tons. Thus, the resulting force that Ikrit is generating must be at least in the low meganewtons and depending on the actual size and engine power of the freighter the upper limit is going to be somewhere into the giganewtons.

To make a real world comparison, telekinetically lifting a Nimitz class carrier would need roughly a giganewton. This is a very, very impressive display of Force telekinesis. No wonder that it leaves Anakin & CO quite flabbergasted.
"Master Ikrit is gone, Anakin," Valin said. "He jumped out of the hatch." "He what?" "There he is!" Tahiri shrieked, pointing ahead of them.
There Ikrit was indeed, walking toward the blocking ships, a corvette and a light freighter. As he approached them, they were parted as if by two gigantic hands. "I don't believe it," Anakin said. But he gunned for-
ward, nevertheless, aimed at the gap the Jedi Master had created for them. Blaster bolts and laser beams sizzled and hissed in the air, but every shot that might have hit either Ikrit or the ship bent away, missing by centimeters, and still the small Jedi strolled sedately along.
They were almost free now, passing over Ikrit.
"He can't keep that up," Anakin said. "Tahiri, use the Force. Snag him as we go by."
"You bet," she answered. Her confidence rang false; Anakin heard a tremor in her voice.
That was when the first bolt slipped through and struck Master Ikrit. Anakin felt it in the Force, a spike of clarity. No pain, no fear, no remorse, only... understanding.
Two more shots hit Ikrit in quick succession, and then fire was pounding their ship again. With a sob of anguish, Anakin jetted the ship through the hole and spun. At the same moment, with an inarticulate growl, Tahiri leapt from the open hatch, lightsaber glowing, and ran toward the downed Master.
Ikrit goes down with a bang. He somehow outruns the fleeing freighter after jumping out, does another impressive show of telekinesis (the corvette might be over one hundred meters long, if it is like the Tantive IV) and shows incredible ability to protect himself from heavy enemy fire, although in the end the effort is too much for him. Interestingly, although he is a small alien (the size of a dog, more or less) his body doesn't explode after being hit three times by blaster bolts of unknown power.