Trek v EU, not Trek v Films+EU

For polite and reasoned discussion of Star Wars and/or Star Trek.

Trek v EU

EU wins
8%
Trek wins
33%
Stalemate- with or without a peace treaty
50%
Mutual destruction, either mostly or entirely
No votes
Other
8%

Total votes: 12

watchdog
Jedi Knight

Post by watchdog » Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:53 pm

Knights of the old Republic, the comic that introduced Nomi Sunrider, and an article from one of the rpg magazines (I know, I know, games). I am familiar with other quotes, I have them listed somewhere. But these are the immedeat examples I was thinking about.

GStone
Starship Captain

Post by GStone » Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:54 pm

Okay, I've sat on the side lines long enough.
Enterprise E wrote:As for the ground battles, we know very little of the Federation so I would say that in general infantry, the Federation has better weapons and technology, but again, the Empire has greater numbers.
You know, it wouldn't surprise me if the idea of a Federation 'tank' is nothing more than a a shuttle with attachments held to the surface by magnetic clamps. We know they got them for the space suits and the shape of the shuttles would be good for devices that can have variable heights. One thing might be better if it's higher than another with one grouping of devices, while that same device would be better closer to the hull with other things higher. The clamp could be linked to the onboard computer and there's probably pivoting/twisting/turning ports, as they fly by.
I would say that Starfleet Marines are better, man to man, and the MACOs, if they still exist in this scenerio, are the best of the best for the Federation and that in a battle where their numbers are close to Imperial numbers, they would win.
The MACOs probably became Starfleet Security.
watchdog wrote:100 gt is supposedly the level of the asteroid that killed the dinosaurs. If 100 is an extinction level event, then what is 200?
You wipe out the dinos and take a crap on their decomposing heads.
the EU has shown that a simple magnetic storm can fry a hyperdrive.
This is an interesting point. While the KOTOR incident happened 4,000 year ago, is there any indication that the same level of energy could damage modern hyperdrives?

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:34 pm

GStone wrote:
watchdog wrote:100 gt is supposedly the level of the asteroid that killed the dinosaurs. If 100 is an extinction level event, then what is 200?
You wipe out the dinos and take a crap on their decomposing heads.
That's not very polite. It's just another extinction level event, maybe a little more thorough.

GStone
Starship Captain

Post by GStone » Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:37 am

I didn't mean it to be rude to him. It was a joke.

watchdog
Jedi Knight

Post by watchdog » Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:01 pm

Joke taken and enjoyed, as for the frying of the hyperdrive, I read in the gaming magazine I mentioned that flying to close to certain stellar objects could also fry hyperdrives. It may take a while for me to locate the quotes, there are apparently other incidents of hyperdrives being taken out by magnetic storms and even one incident of an ion storm doing system wide damage!

watchdog
Jedi Knight

Post by watchdog » Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:14 pm

I found the quote I was looking for back at SB.com, here is what I wrote in its entirty;
In a recent issue of "Star Wars Gamer" magazine they feature an article on the Moddell sector where Endor is located. The article states that...
The fact that the Zuma (the region the Moddell sector is located in) is so little traveled means that hyperspace routes to the region are slow, uncomfortable and sometimes unsafe. Unfortunatly, those routes through the region are worse: Trying to navigate to Moddell is like picking one's way across a muddy briar patch-or, as some spacers say, like tiptoeing across an unmapped minefield. The hyperspace eddies and sinkholes that plague the region remain mysterious
So that the Empire could get their own ships into the area during the 4 years they were building the Death Star 2, they "Artificially extended" an existing route and
By planting non-mass S-thread boosters in hyperspace and moving realspace detrius from a thousand locations to avoid catastrophic mass shadows.
The so-called Santuary pipeline became harder to navigate through after the Endor battle due to "A combination of natural decay and the theft of any S-thread booster that could be located by smugglers."

The accompanying map of the sector shows a good sized nebula near Endor. Din pulsar sits in one corner of the nebula near a route between Endor and a system called Trindello. The article has this to say:
The combination of magnetic pulses and filaments of gas have made the Trindello-Endor route increasingly unstable, extending travel times between the two worlds and frying countless hyperdrives.This problem with magnetic pulses frying hyperdrives is not new as in the "Tales of the Jedi" TP has Andur Sunrider and his wife Nomi had to replace a burnt-out ion exiter due to a magnetic storm they jumped through. The main body of the local nebula (called Monsua) are described as such:
While slow hyperspace routes and interstellar anomalies plague the entire Moddell sector, the fringes of the Monsua nebula are by far the worst. Scouts forge routes light-year by painstaking light-year, only to see them decay almost overnight, while other stars simply remain inacessable despite the best efforts of scouts and survey droids.
If the maps from NJO are to be believed, then there are 5 main hyperspace routes in the galaxy that allow fast, safe travel to most sections of the galaxy.Travel on a seldom-used path will be slower (127 LY on the Corellian run may take only an hour, but 127 LY on an uncharted path may take several hours). The RPG core book states that the main paths are well kept and constantly updated in the official astrogation records. One analogy would be trying to travel a well kept highway and later transfering to a dirt trail. in the case of the Moddell sector it would be like trying to travel a dirt trail with rain that keeps washing the trail away.
In comparing warp with hyperspace I often compared warp to a fast car on a desert highway at noon where you could see the road ahead for many miles, and hyperdrive was a jet on auto-pilot in a canyon at midnight. If the auto-pilots calculations on the distance between the canyon walls are off, you crash and burn.

GStone
Starship Captain

Post by GStone » Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:30 pm

Heavy duty EMP shielding might help keep the hyperdrives from frying.

Maybe circuit breakers, too. :-P