Are Jedi the Uber Powerful force some people claim?

For polite and reasoned discussion of Star Wars and/or Star Trek.

Are the Jedi the most Bada** warriors in scifi?

1- Yes they are, and I'll Force choke anyone who disagrees... Superman couldn't even win against a Sith Lord
No votes
2- They're truly powerful, but not invulnerable...
14%
3- They're good, but any competent fighter will be a threat to them
81%
4- They're not that impressive, considering all the powers they supposedly possess...
5%

Total votes: 21

AFT
Bridge Officer

Post by AFT » Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:21 am

Praeothmin wrote:So basically Mr. Oragahn, we agree on a lot of things:
-The Force takes concentration to use.

-It is not the "Fight ender" that many Pro-Wars debaters say it is.

-Not all the Jedi or Sith have the same powers, or even the same level of
-control.

-They still need a weapon (lightsabre) in fights to quickly take out opponents.
A quite accurate estimation of the Jedi capabilities. The Jedi are something like a police, security, special operations-assassinations unit, as Mace Windu clearly states during Episode II when he says that they are “keepers of the peace not soldiers”. So, as shown in the movies, intended to operate in small groups at indoors environments. At close quarters they are quite formidable adversaries and unless you are a very skilled, well equipped soldier the average combatant is going to be hard pressed to deal with a Jedi and more so with a Sith, especially during the initial contacts. However, in a Empire vs. Federation scenario Force users are going to be of little impact, both tactical and strategically, since the Emperor didn’t foresee the Empire falling and the quite blatant issue of the Empire having not Jedi whatsoever and very few Siths to begin with.

Even with tens of thousands of Jedi, they are not meant for large actions and it would go pretty much as the events of Episode II, with the Jedi being slaughtered on an open field, or Episode III, where the best tactical use of the Jedi was as leaders of the Clone Army. So, in their intended role they are a force to reckon with but definitely they are not the Uber Powerful force that would make any conflict pointless, after all they were defeated.

Praeothmin wrote:And, Ulysse 31 rocked... :-)
Anime fans! I feel like heaven.

CrippledVulture
Bridge Officer

Post by CrippledVulture » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:07 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but isn't a talented person, at least in Star Wars, passively using the Force, technically? The Jedi are those who can control it in specific ways, but everyone and every thing interacts with the Force at all times. It's not a magical power given to some, but an "energy field" that is shared by all. The Jedi have the skills and the presence of mind to use this energy field, manipulating it somehow to do something specific. All the non-Jedi extraordinary people (Han Solo, Lando Calrissian, Wedge Antilles, heck even Grand Moff Tarkin) are using the Force, they just don't know it.

"In my experience, there is no such thing as luck."

In my opinion this makes the Jedi quite powerful, and they have obviously shown themselves to be able to accomplish great things, but it certainly doesn't make them gods.

GStone
Starship Captain

Post by GStone » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:49 pm

Technically yes. We'd say they use watered down versions of the Force when it isn't something coming from a specific DNA sequence.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:53 am

They're merely tapping in a sort of fluid that's flowing through everything.
The midi-chorians are the key. Normal amounts seem to be found in all cells in that galaxy (the Force is something that actually seems pretty specific to that galaxy... and would not extent to anything else), and higher amounts of them unlocks the ability to tax this fluid.