Are Jedi the Uber Powerful force some people claim?

For polite and reasoned discussion of Star Wars and/or Star Trek.

Are the Jedi the most Bada** warriors in scifi?

1- Yes they are, and I'll Force choke anyone who disagrees... Superman couldn't even win against a Sith Lord
No votes
2- They're truly powerful, but not invulnerable...
14%
3- They're good, but any competent fighter will be a threat to them
81%
4- They're not that impressive, considering all the powers they supposedly possess...
5%

Total votes: 21

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:43 pm

Praeothmin wrote:
PG rating.
Not a valid reason In Universe, so not acceptable in this case.
It is exactly like trying to say TIDC in ST is valid example of Trek power, because the writers wanted to show the crust being destroyed, but the VFX guys screwed up the effects.
Again, not valid...
Yeah, I know. Just kidding. ;)
Frankly, Force powers are Lucas' trump card just as much as Trek has its technobabble. It's just speechless.
The best thing to do is probably to settle on an average.
There's Anakin, but he just prefered to slay all the CIS representatives with his lightsabre.
And the Jedi in the Temple, and Mace Windu, and the Geonosians.
Which reminds me that Anakin did use Force push against them, but since they weren't really quick or powerful, and that their only true weapons were those... Ballblasters... which weren't in use at the start of the fight, they come under the "slow, dull-witted" opponents.
There's not many live oponents, non FS, who've been subject to Force powers.
But remember that Anakin has been trained as a Jedi, and the Jedi really strike me as completely lightsabre centric.

It's all about that neon, really.
They're quite delusional. They believe it's the best weapon in any situation, the best shield, and above all, they think it's a weapon of a more civilized age, but when we get to see what a civilized age means, we got to see that it corresponds to playing interstellar cops and maiming people to capture them.

Or did I miss the moment when Obi-Wan switched his lightsabre to stun mode, before poking Wesell? Or against that scum in the cantina at Mos Eisley?

Civilized? My ass. Even the stormtroopers were more civilized when they zated Leia.

Ah, this reminds of this long long rant I dropped at B² years ago.

All Jedi of the now destroyed Order seemed literally brainwashed in the idea that using the Force in any real direct manner against any living being was a bad thing.
Not only that, but the lightsabre was T3h toy of the Jedi.
You can shave with it, have sex with it, lit a dark room, parade with it. Above all, you must NEVER loose it.

Remember how Obi-Wan reprimended Anakin for loosing his lightsabre?
I mean, sure, it's the only thing they actually have to defend themselves (which says a lot, really), but it clearly ranges beyond that.

That's the way I see it. They sanctify that weapon. They're two fingers away from claiming its their closest and best friend.

To me, they're simply taught that the lightsabre is the be all and end all of everything, and most Force uses should either be about amplifying and enhancing the use of the lightsabre, or for meditation, rarely for anything else.

Zen and samurai-way all in one. Which was nicely illustrated with the duel between Qui-Gon Jinn and Darth Maul, when they got stuck in between the shield layers.

The Sith, though using the Jedi ways (Qui-Gon's words), are less reluctant to drop the lightsabre and directly engage their oponent with Force powers.

Anakin likes to use his lightsabre probably because he's been taught to use it, and knows how to. It's a fast killing weapon. It's quite brutal but refined at the same time, and above all, this is what he did when he killed the Tuskens.
I think this initial rage still strongly influenced the way he behaved after that. It fueled his rage, and gave him strenght.

Dooku, who's a fierce swordsman, didn't hesitate to go full Force against Yoda, before switching to the lightsabre.

Now, I won't comment on why he completely dropped Force powers from there.
AOTC is one of the worst films of the PT imho, and many things in it embarass me to no ends.
It depends on the task. Dooku seemed pretty instinctive and instantaneous in his use of the Force, just like Sidious
Yup, Dokuu whipped up that Force choke pretty quick against Obi-Wan, but in AotC, he had to concentrate to bring down the pillar watchamacallit down on Obi and Ani.
It took precious seconds during which Yoda, if any Force powers were instantaneous, could have flung him accross the room like he did the Emperor in RotS.
But, as we saw in both these Force battles, concentration (even slight concentration) is needed for big Force use.
Concentrate as stare with his big eyes and move his hands to emphasis his action?
That seems right.
Like Yoda with the X-Wing. Actually, they're obviously all required to drop everything else in favor of the subject of the soon to be executed Force power.
I think it has to do with the school of thought.
Your argument is interesting, but without anything to back it up, it is merely an assumption, and as they say in "Under Siege: Dark Territory":
"Assumption is the mother off all fu**-ups!" :-)
Sorry, but I think I did at least start providing the first bricks of evidence for that:

"I think it has to do with the school of thought. QuiGon Jinn had a rogue influence on Obi-Wan, but the young padawan was quite convinced that his master wasn't doing the right choice in staying distant from the ways taught in the Jedi temple, where the lightsabre is uber glorified and you must castigate yourself for using the Force.

Well, arguably, Qui Gon Jinn's master was Dooku, I think.
It explains his greyness and intensive use of the Force on living beings.

Obi-Wan was well more respectful of the retentive dogma."

We've seen how Qui-Gon was the one heavily using the Force against droids or living beings to get what he wanted of them (Boss Nass, Wattoo).

Obi-Wan used a TK only once on a droid, when his master was alive. After that, he only used a mind trick to convince a teen to stop his drug business, unlock a door, healed Padmé as best as he could. There's of course the usual Force cushion to survive high falls, or eventually his Force TK to crush the magnaguards under a big metal crane, when he faced Grievous, but there's not much else to chat about.

However, once the Jedi were destroyed, and once he and Yoda grew older and reflected on what happened, on how the Jedi Order might have been too rigid and wrong, we saw him mind trick stormtroopers.
But again, it was for a real direct defensive purpose, mainly because those imperial guys would be a real problem otherwise, and could harm Luke and capture the droids.

Qui-Gon used his powers to get spare parts or entire vehicless. It's not dark per se, but not pure either. But it was necessary.
In the end, his purposes were more related to the acquisition of goods than about direct survival.

Luke, on the other way, was clearly treading the line, using the Force choke on the Gamoreans, and mind tricking Jabba's Twi'lek assistant.
Again, Luke didn't really go study to that old and outdated Jedi school. Obi-Wan and Yoda mostly needed a weapon to destroy Palpatine and Vader. It was a gamble.

On the same hand, even if they knew that something was wrong with the older Jedi Order, they were not going to question everything. They still educated Luke with what they knew and learnt themselves. Proof as Ben's speech. Even older and wiser, he's still in complete admiration of the lightsabre.

Only a completely reformed Jedi Order, or the Sith, could take a different route and develop trainings and beliefs heavily based on the use of the Force.
Since I doubt any respected Jedi would ever do that, only a Sith could come to such a reliance on the Force for any task.
There's probably a nice analogy to draw.

In many RPG games, being a mage is a difficult quest and requires time. You have to level your character up, which is initially very weak.
So appear the monk or paladin classes, depending of the rules, where you're first invited to use blades and other normal weapons, while you devlop your powers.

The lightsabre is quite that. It deals a lot of damage, is a trademark of the Jedi and seems to be a weapon that means a lot to a large portion of the galaxy. I suppose that when a lightsabre is switched on, be you the average Joe, you can't help but freeze for a moment.
All this helps the padawan to gain more respect and trust, while he develops his powers.

However, the Jedi dogma seems to refuse to completely switch to Force powers.

Only the Sith appear to embrace that route, and yet, it seems that even a powerful Sith can't really completely rely on the Force to win, possibly because no being can really be able to fully handle the Force.

That's probably why all of them still largely use the lightsabre, and rarely use Force powers.

That said, I'd like to see a Jedi sniper at least once. :)
That said, I've always believed that we only see the tip of the iceberg during such a battle.
After all, they're both tapping energy from a same "realm", and they're located close to each other.
It's like while there's a physical battle in our reality, there's a similar battle on the Force plane.
Sometimes, there's a crack in an oponent's Force aura, and a Jedi or Sith can use it quickly to strike a Force coup.
Since it is described as such in the movie novelisations, it is probably true, but what about when a Force user faces a non-Force user, like Jango vs Obi-Wan.
We didn't see Obi use much of the Force, when a simple Force push, or a Force yank of Jango's weapons would have been useful.

The fact is, although they can come up with the excuse that against another Force user, they are both cancelling each other's powers through the Force, that explanation doesn't hold water when facing an ordinary opponent.

For example, the Force Wall ability which many Pro-Wars argue all Force users have.
Why haven't we seen it used at Geonosis, against all those droids?
It would sure have been useful.
Either because it's excruciatingly tiring, or because they didn't have the ability to repel energy with a Force wall.
Seriously, it took Vader an armor and whatever Force trick to stop Han's blasts with his hand, and Yoda needed to focus and concentrate to stop lightning with bare hands, that is, cast something probably very close to a Force absorption shield.
On the other hand, Dooku was able to quickly deflect the lightning bolt Yoda sent him back. But Dooku was very powerful anyway.

That's why I can't see the average Jedi, even a master, happily jump in a melee and cast Force walls.

It's also possible that the fact that the lightsabre is always on, the Jedi can keep most of their concentration focused on other things, like the larger scope of a battle area, rather than use most of their concentration to focus on the incoming projectiles and cast a shield, lowering their attention regarding the rest of the action.
And Ulysse 31 rocked... :-)
You bet it did! :)
Last edited by Mr. Oragahn on Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:19 pm

So basically Mr. Oragahn, we agree on a lot of things:
-The Force takes concentration to use.

-It is not the "Fight ender" that many Pro-Wars debaters say it is.

-Not all the Jedi or Sith have the same powers, or even the same level of
-control.

-They still need a weapon (lightsabre) in fights to quickly take out opponents.

And, Ulysse 31 rocked... :-)

The things we disagree (well, not completely,but...) on are:

-Why they didn't use the Force against Non-Force users.

Am I forgetting something?

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:56 pm

Praeothmin wrote:So basically Mr. Oragahn, we agree on a lot of things:
-The Force takes concentration to use.

-It is not the "Fight ender" that many Pro-Wars debaters say it is.

-Not all the Jedi or Sith have the same powers, or even the same level of
-control.

-They still need a weapon (lightsabre) in fights to quickly take out opponents.

And, Ulysse 31 rocked... :-)

The things we disagree (well, not completely,but...) on are:

-Why they didn't use the Force against Non-Force users.

Am I forgetting something?
Lemme see...
Maybe your detailed take on why living beings rarely become the target of devastating Jedi powers?

My point is that it's their education that prevents them from doing so, while the Sith wouldn't be as reluctant as their lighter cousins.

What's yours?

EDIT: I see you spell it Ulysse 31, without the s. Which version did you watch?

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:40 am

Lemme see...
Maybe your detailed take on why living beings rarely become the target of devastating Jedi powers?
My point is that it's their education that prevents them from doing so, while the Sith wouldn't be as reluctant as their lighter cousins.
What's yours?
Well, I do agree that the Sith wouldn't be as reluctant as most of their lighter cousins, except that Anakin, even when fully turned to the Dark Side, even when feeling totally betrayed by Padme, isn't able to kill her quickly using Force Choke.
Plus, while fighting Obi-Wan, we never see him try any of the Force tricks Dooku tried on Obi and him during their fight on the "Invisible Hand".

And I really don't believe, seeing as they will use the Force to jump higher, run faster, precog, block Blaster bolts, hit harder (Obi-Wan vs General Grevious) that their education keeps them from using the Force at all.

You see, we see them using the Force in many ways, too often in fact to say that their education forbids them to use it.
It might forbid them to use it for personnal reasons, to aquire wealth and so on, but they never seem to restrain when fighting.

So I stand by my explanation that it is harder to use the Force on a living being for some unknown reason.
Your... lets call it Force aura... explanation earlier has, IMO, some merit, in view of what we see in the movies.
It is called "The Living Force", after all! ;-)

And I watched the French version of "Ulysse 31"... :-)

SailorSaturn13
Bridge Officer

Post by SailorSaturn13 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:18 am

Some point before: in the movie "Cutie Honey" we get the heroine deflecting pistol fire. There we get a glimpse at HOW FAST the sword must be moved to do so. Much faste than Jedi do.

Basically, the entire thread devolved into a Pro-Wars debater claiming that Anakin would Force choke Samus Aran (from Metroïds) in kill her instantly even though we've always seen Force chokes to take a lot of time to actually disable a person

Yes, over a minute or 2. Death by strangling comes not from windpipe blocked, but by the BLOOD VESSELS to and from the brain stalled.

About clones - I thought it was like with Vong - Palpatine made their doing invisible to the force.

AnonymousRedShirtEnsign
Jedi Knight

Post by AnonymousRedShirtEnsign » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:17 am

I've always thought that the dark shoud that the Jedi refer to basically just stops them from using the force to see things in visions. Yoda explains to Luke that the force will show him many things, past, present, and future, I think it is that ability that was curtailed by Sidious.

Who is like God arbour
Starship Captain

Post by Who is like God arbour » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:26 am

SailorSaturn13 wrote: About clones - I thought it was like with Vong - Palpatine made their doing invisible to the force.
The Jedi would notice, if there is an entire army they know about and can see but not sense with their Force-senses, wouldn't they? I mean, the Jedi have worked with the clones close together. We have seen Obi Wan, as he has talked with Commander Cody. If the clones were invisible to the force, it should have attract attention before.

Unless the invisibility can be switched-on and -off and was off before order 66 was given to not attract attention and switched-on after it was given to eliminate the advantage, the Force-sensible Jedi have against the not-Force-sensible clones.

In the novel RotS it is written, that the war has let stream darkness in the Force, what heightened the cloud, which interfere with the Jedi-senses. And the clones don't know malice, hate or bad faith, which could have warned the Jedi. They only follow orders.
And they have only followed order 66.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:10 am

Praeothmin wrote:
Lemme see...
What's yours?
Well, I do agree that the Sith wouldn't be as reluctant as most of their lighter cousins, except that Anakin, even when fully turned to the Dark Side, even when feeling totally betrayed by Padme, isn't able to kill her quickly using Force Choke.
Plus, while fighting Obi-Wan, we never see him try any of the Force tricks Dooku tried on Obi and him during their fight on the "Invisible Hand".
The fish is a bit sour with Anakin. He's already crossed the path, massacred tons of people just out of rage. He's over the border. He may have the rank of a Jedi of some sort, but in spirit, he's just aiming at the Sith dogma.
And I really don't believe, seeing as they will use the Force to jump higher, run faster, precog, block Blaster bolts, hit harder (Obi-Wan vs General Grevious) that their education keeps them from using the Force at all.

You see, we see them using the Force in many ways, too often in fact to say that their education forbids them to use it.
It might forbid them to use it for personnal reasons, to aquire wealth and so on, but they never seem to restrain when fighting.
I don't think they use it that much outside of anything to enhance their lightsabre dueling abilities, really. Most of these powers are, as video games put it, neutral powers. I did insist on how they'll use the Force to enhance their lightsabre combat abilities. That's a given, that's even supported by the novelisation. Be it for attack or defense.
A couple of Force jumps here and there, eventually some TK on a piece of machinery or droids, but that's all.

But it's like they're convincing themselves that if one dies, it's the lightsabre's fault, not the weilder's fault.
Same with a gun. But guns don't kill. People who use them do.

That's the hypocrit and delusional barrier they put between them and anything that goes wrong. They didn't use the Force to maim or kill. They used that piece of machinery. And since it's so important to them, they're condemned to glorify it.
With millenia of one sided preeching, that's where they ended, imho. So proud of their short range weapon and mastery at it that they didn't even envision the use of other devices.

Actually, their dogma may be so rigid that it may go back to days where robots didn't exist, and using the Force on living beings, the only sentient and conscious creatures known, was a sadist and reprehensible act.
So I stand by my explanation that it is harder to use the Force on a living being for some unknown reason.
Your... lets call it Force aura... explanation earlier has, IMO, some merit, in view of what we see in the movies.
It is called "The Living Force", after all! ;-)
Trouble with the Living Force explanation is that in theory, it's Qui-Gon Jinn's rogue conceptions that brought the survivors of the Council to actually incorporate it into the Order's former all encompassing Cosmic Force, which brought us to the blended speech Yoda gave Luke in TESB. It surrounds us, penetrates us, it holds the whole universe in one place and lets us see future, present and past, but it also runs through living beings, illuminated beings, and life gives the Force its strenght. Though I don't know how far fan speculation starts in this domain, I'm a bit reluctant to tie our conceptual issues to definitions and segmentations that may not even find strong support in the canon, especially since as I think, the Living Force, which would explain a couple of things, doesn't seem to be associated to the Jedi Order.

The Living Force seems more passionated than the Cosmic one. It establishes singular and specific ties with any living being. It seems to be about elements at the microcopic scale, while the Cosmic definition seems to be concerned about things at the supermacroscopic scale, which would likely make all a person's feelings irrelevant - which would also explain why the Jedi Order never understood Anakin's distress and need for love, just as much as Obi-Wan always seemed very cold when it came to anything personnal, while Qui-Gon, on the other hand... you could almost run wild speculations about shipping between him and Shmi for any fan interested in those things. He looked like concerned, like a cleric who must fight his feelings, while the rest of the Order has been brainwashed to burry them since a long time.

So basically, the Living Force would actually be the best reason why an adept of such a current wouldn't use it against living beings in any way that could really hurt.
On the same hand, one could argue that the teachings of the Living Force actually help to better understand the relation between living beings and the Force, and thus help to better use powers on them, if necessary (like mind tricks).

On the other hand, your position can be defended as well.
The principle of the Living Force, apparently, is that the Force actually grows from the life in the universe. No life, no Force.
One would thus understand why somehow, the Force wouldn't like to be used against what feeds her, and how a natural reaction occurs when it is used for destruction, especially the destruction of life.
Which makes it difficult to use on living beings, and makes the Sith even more dangerous to the Force itself and powerful, considering that they have to breach a barrier to be able to endanger life.

On the other hand, that logic would claim that healing someone would be rather easy, for example, and even promoted by the Force. Some bits of dialogue in the prequels always stroke me as weird, especially when it came to the "will of the Force". But if there's such a will, if the existence of the Sith themselves breaks the balance, because they go against the Force's rules, then yes, somehow, we could postulate that endangering life through the Force won't be easy.
And I watched the French version of "Ulysse 31"... :-)
Ah! Me too. :)
I wonder if that plan of theater adaptation is still in the air.
I wish that a studio would at least give us the missing episodes to reach the +50 episodes bar originally planed.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:52 pm

The fish is a bit sour with Anakin. He's already crossed the path, massacred tons of people just out of rage. He's over the border. He may have the rank of a Jedi of some sort, but in spirit, he's just aiming at the Sith dogma.
I agree with you on that point.
My point while bringing up Anakin's choking of Padme is that even a full sith like him cannot choke someone in a very short time.
That's what I wanted to illustrate, that even without restraints, a Force choke isn't instantaneous death...

I don't think they use it that much outside of anything to enhance their lightsabre dueling abilities, really. Most of these powers are, as video games put it, neutral powers.
They use it quite a lot, actually.
It is hinted at in the movies, everytime they talk to someone, they seem to probe, oh-ever-so-lightly, the person they talk to (but that could be my interpretation).
And in AotC, both Obi-Wan and Anakin use their Force senses out of battle to check on Padme when protecting her.

And, in RotS, Obi-Wan has no hesitation to pick up and use the Blaster laying there when he finds himself weapon less in front of Grevious.
On the other hand, your position can be defended as well.
Which is why I defend it... :)
I wonder if that plan of theater adaptation is still in the air.
There was?
I hope you're not playing with my feelings, I'm too old to endure this... :)

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:55 pm

Praeothmin wrote:
I agree with you on that point.
My point while bringing up Anakin's choking of Padme is that even a full sith like him cannot choke someone in a very short time.
That's what I wanted to illustrate, that even without restraints, a Force choke isn't instantaneous death...
Indeed, it does take time. I'll never be able to know if this is due to will or natural limitation though.
I don't think they use it that much outside of anything to enhance their lightsabre dueling abilities, really. Most of these powers are, as video games put it, neutral powers.
It is hinted at in the movies, everytime they talk to someone, they seem to probe, oh-ever-so-lightly, the person they talk to (but that could be my interpretation).
I beg to differ.
And in AotC, both Obi-Wan and Anakin use their Force senses out of battle to check on Padme when protecting her.

And, in RotS, Obi-Wan has no hesitation to pick up and use the Blaster laying there when he finds himself weapon less in front of Grevious.
But that's what, a few uses over many hours of intensively active story, really?
It's not like every gesture they do is Force enhanced, like every word they pronounce is Force transcended. :)
There was?
I hope you're not playing with my feelings, I'm too old to endure this... :)
A small rumour. Just like the one about Captain Harlock (Albator) which was due to hit the screens in 2005.
Ulysses 31 has an enormous potential for more adventures. I always wondered how the inhabitants of Earth would react since the revelation of the existence of the Gods, and what Ulysses would play in this. Unwilling messiah, crazy pariah, potential leader. It's literally mind boggling.

SailorSaturn13
Bridge Officer

Post by SailorSaturn13 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:37 am

In the novel RotS it is written, that the war has let stream darkness in the Force, what heightened the cloud, which interfere with the Jedi-senses. And the clones don't know malice, hate or bad faith, which could have warned the Jedi. They only follow orders.
And they have only followed order 66.

Actually, their dogma may be so rigid that it may go back to days where robots didn't exist, and using the Force on living beings, the only sentient and conscious creatures known, was a sadist and reprehensible act.

The problem is, Jedi fought droids well. So well Palpatine had to resort to clones. It would be so much easier to introduce a droid republic army than clones, but obviously, droids couldn't bring Jedi down. And droid surely have no living in them even if they imitate emotions.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:30 pm

Quote:
Quote:

I beg to differ.
Yeah, so do I, know that I've thought about it a bit more.
It's just that I based my arguments off of the novels, in which we see a lot of non-combat Force use.
It's not like every gesture they do is Force enhanced, like every word they pronounce is Force transcended. :)
Wait, while I probe the Force for an answer... :)
Huh! (What? The Force can't always give great insight... :) )
Seriously, if we only take the movies, they do indeed seem like they aren't using the Force that much outside of any type of action oriented endeavors, but in the Clone Wars cartoons, and even more in the novels, they use the Force for just about anything.

AnonymousRedShirtEnsign
Jedi Knight

Post by AnonymousRedShirtEnsign » Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:51 pm

Well, in the Clone Wars cartoons, a swoop bike cavalry charge, with lances, is incredibly effective, so I don't think it represents Star Wars realistically. As for the novels, I don't read them, so I'll take your word for it.

somerandomhobo
Candidate

Post by somerandomhobo » Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:05 am

what happens when you use a TR-116 Projectile Rifle From Deep Space Nine
the rifle that teleports the bullet to the target[/url]

AnonymousRedShirtEnsign
Jedi Knight

Post by AnonymousRedShirtEnsign » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:22 am

Um, what does that have to do with how powerful Jedi and Sith are? If you are asking how effective of a tactic it would be against a force user then it should exclusively depend on their precognitive abilities, so most Jedi aren't going to do so good. The TR-116 actually doesn't strike me as a very well designed weapon(but that is a topic for another thread), I still think a CAWS is the best anti-lightsaber wielder weapon.