Sovereign class vs Galaxy class vs D'Deridex class

For polite and reasoned discussion of Star Wars and/or Star Trek.
Sideswipe
Bridge Officer

Re: Sovereign class vs Galaxy class vs D'Deridex class

Post by Sideswipe » Fri May 11, 2012 3:30 am

Good for you.

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Fri May 11, 2012 3:13 pm

A warbird decloaked and strafed the Enterprise-D in "Tin Man"[TNG3] with several disruptor hits, producing a 70% loss to the shields.

A similar barrage from two warbirds in "The Defector"[TNG3] resulted in much more limited damage, but per Picard that was just a tap on the shoulder. Furthermore, "The Defector" was something like six months prior to "Tin Man", so the firepower demonstration from the latter may have been a bit of a surprise.

Of course, the "Tin Man" warbird was considered a disposable ship at that point, so it is possible they were pulling a "Fight or Flight" and firing for all they were worth.

Nevertheless, it seems likely that a Warbird was more than a match for a Galaxy Class ship insofar as weapons, but I don't know how much punishment they could take. It's possible they had a rough parity resulting from lesser defensive performance compared to a Galaxy.

Picard
Starship Captain

Post by Picard » Fri May 11, 2012 4:46 pm

Actually, no. It is just that in TNG weapons were far stronger in relation to shields than later on - in few episodes of TNG they were worried about torpedo backlash, and 5-8 full-yield torpedoes at close range were stated to be able to destroy fully-shielded Enterprise D - meaning that each torpedo had to take out at least 13 % of shields; even more with direct hits, considering that these torpedoes were to be detonated close, but not directly next to shields.

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Fri May 11, 2012 9:30 pm

on the other hand, transformers can turn into things. why not just turn into a shuttle and give off a sos signal of some kind? then get picked up, and turn into a bigass robot and have a robot fight with data.

Sideswipe
Bridge Officer

Post by Sideswipe » Fri May 11, 2012 10:20 pm

That would have made for an exciting TNG episode. I wonder what jasonb would have to say on the subject?

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Mon May 14, 2012 8:35 am

I split the Data verus Optimus Prime fight posts and moved them to the Other analysis, crossovers, and debates forum.
-Mike

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Tue May 15, 2012 2:44 am

sorry. that was just meant to be a joke.

TheRainKing777
Bridge Officer

Post by TheRainKing777 » Tue May 15, 2012 3:58 am

Honestly. Seriously imagine for a moment what we're talking about. Even IF there was a situation that this would actually happen the time machine from Back to the Future wins HANDS DOWN. How? Because it moves through time. Can any of these ships do that? No. WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM!?

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Tue May 15, 2012 9:34 am

TheRainKing777 wrote:Honestly. Seriously imagine for a moment what we're talking about. Even IF there was a situation that this would actually happen the time machine from Back to the Future wins HANDS DOWN. How? Because it moves through time. Can any of these ships do that? No. WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM!?
good lord, have you ever actually seen the show? i'm pretty sure there is actually MORE time travel in star trek than there is in the entire back to the future trilogy. seriously, once every ten episodes or so someone goes back - or forward - in time. time travel is so prevalent in star trek that people routinely bar it from the debates here!

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Time_travel_episodes

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Sun May 20, 2012 5:30 am

2046 wrote:A warbird decloaked and strafed the Enterprise-D in "Tin Man"[TNG3] with several disruptor hits, producing a 70% loss to the shields.

A similar barrage from two warbirds in "The Defector"[TNG3] resulted in much more limited damage, but per Picard that was just a tap on the shoulder. Furthermore, "The Defector" was something like six months prior to "Tin Man", so the firepower demonstration from the latter may have been a bit of a surprise.
Actually, this is similar to the Ferengi. In "The Last Outpost"[TNG1] they had a weird EM weapon that could drain shields and batteries but was otherwise bright and neat-looking but kinda lame.

However, in "Peak Performance" they fired a barrage of bog-standard bolts from wingtip cannons that knocked the Enterprise shields to 20% in short order.

But in any case it seems that a surprised Enterprise-D can get mauled pretty quickly by both Romulans and Ferengi. A Cardassian Galor, on the other hand, was unable to do nearly as much in similar circumstance, though multiple K'Vorts were.

Picard
Starship Captain

Post by Picard » Sun May 20, 2012 3:02 pm

Do we have any indication about per-hit losses to shields from DS9 or Voyager, so as to do the comparasion?

As I noted before, full spread of photon torpedoes (5-8) at point blank range was stated to be able to destroy fully shielded E-D. Meaning that even with just 1/5th to 1/10th of energy from each torpedo hitting the shields, each torpedo was able to "eat" around 12 to 20 % of shields. So Enterprise can get mauled quickly not only by Ferengi or Romulans, but also by another Galaxy-class starship too (and vice-versa).

TheRainKing777
Bridge Officer

Post by TheRainKing777 » Tue May 22, 2012 8:12 am

Most of the time time travel in Star Trek is accidental. They have not mastered it in any way. I'm thinking being able to bend time and space, tearing through it sometimes causes Doc Brown to trump any Star Trek captain. Fo sho. FO SHO!

I am imagining Doc's train time machine floating in space right in front of the Enterprise NCC-1701D as if to request a game of chicken. Then the time machine flies through the sun and back in time to cause a tiny flaw in the Enterprise's shield when it's built. End.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Tue May 22, 2012 1:42 pm

TheRainKing777 wrote:Most of the time time travel in Star Trek is accidental. They have not mastered it in any way. I'm thinking being able to bend time and space, tearing through it sometimes causes Doc Brown to trump any Star Trek captain. Fo sho. FO SHO!

I am imagining Doc's train time machine floating in space right in front of the Enterprise NCC-1701D as if to request a game of chicken. Then the time machine flies through the sun and back in time to cause a tiny flaw in the Enterprise's shield when it's built. End.
Actually they fully understand the use of time travel, and can even decide it with a mere Klingon BoP flying at warp around a star or some such.
I'm assuming the power, magnetic field and gravity of the star on the warp tech is part of the time effect.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Tue May 22, 2012 5:08 pm

TheRainKing777 wrote:Most of the time time travel in Star Trek is accidental. They have not mastered it in any way. I'm thinking being able to bend time and space, tearing through it sometimes causes Doc Brown to trump any Star Trek captain. Fo sho. FO SHO!

RainKing, please stay on topic. This is not Star Trek versus Back to the Future, this a three-way match up between major Star Trek capital ships. If you want a Vs match between Trek and BttF, make topic in the appropriate forum.

Thank you.
-Mike

TheRainKing777
Bridge Officer

Post by TheRainKing777 » Tue May 22, 2012 9:48 pm

I'm sorry! I thought this was America!